Nasty speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For reasons explained in this thread I have ended up with a seemingly lame pair of speakers (Gale 4040 floor standers). I've not tested any other speakers with my setup in my room, but the facts speak for themselves:

a) I've not found anyone on this forum who has ever heard or mentioned these speakers,
b) I can't find any reviews or comments on them from several "googles".
c) There is no review of them in WHF. The only review is for the smaller 4020, which says something like "Nowhere near good enough, disinterested sound". .......hmm.

I have other setup issues (also described in that thread) but I can't help thinking "you can't polish a turd" in terms of the quality of sound being produced.

I'm after a nice rich, warm, bassy sound from my CA540a Mk2 (if possible), What would be a good second hand floorstander which would help achieve this?

A

Anonymous

You didn't mention how much you wanted to spend.
You have some good budget stuff there: Wharfy Evolution, Tannoy Mercury, MA Bronze and the very B&W sound at affordable price, B&W 685.

John Duncan

Don't get stuck on floorstanders either. A standmount on a decent stand will often outperform a floorstander for the same price. Less 'flap'. That being said, if you must, I like the Tannoy Mercury F4.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ranjeetrain"]You didn't mention how much you wanted to spend.

You have some good budget stuff there: Wharfy Evolution, Tannoy Mercury, MA Bronze and the very B&W sound at affordable price, B&W 685.[/quote]

My budget falls into the Low to mid price range. I'm more interested in peoples thoughts on what would produce a rich, warm and punchy sound at this stage....

..... indeed, can a 540a do rich, warm and punchy?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Don't get stuck on floorstanders either. A standmount on a decent stand will often outperform a floorstander for the same price. Less 'flap'. That being said, if you must, I like the Tannoy Mercury F4.[/quote]

Thanks - I'll take a look.......

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Incidentally, keep an eye on item 130208150354 on ebay at the mo

One of them is damaged, and they are still going for £42 with 5hrs left to go. Be interesting to see what they go for in the end to see what yours would be worth...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Incidentally, keep an eye on item 130208150354 on ebay at the mo

One of them is damaged, and they are still going for £42 with 5hrs left to go. Be interesting to see what they go for in the end to see what yours would be worth...[/quote]

Thanks for that fella - I'll keep an eye.

Of course, it might be that my amp isn't powerful enough to drive them properly. On the back of them it states "reccomended amplifier rating 120W".

What's interesting is that I know a guy who was the older version of these speakers the 3040, and on the back of his it states "Reccomended amplifier rating 30 - 100W"... and his system which is a CA A1 and a technics CD player from the 90's sounds really pleasing...given what it is... certainly more so than mine.

Trouble is, as nobody seems to have any experience of these lemons.. it's hard to find out.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jbadman"][quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Incidentally, keep an eye on item 130208150354 on ebay at the mo

One of them is damaged, and they are still going for £42 with 5hrs left to go. Be interesting to see what they go for in the end to see what yours would be worth...[/quote]

Thanks for that fella - I'll keep an eye.

Of course, it might be that my amp isn't powerful enough to drive them properly. On the back of them it states "reccomended amplifier rating 120W".

What's interesting is that I know a guy who was the older version of these speakers the 3040, and on the back of his it states "Reccomended amplifier rating 30 - 100W"... and his system which is a CA A1 and a technics CD player from the 90's sounds really pleasing...given what it is... certainly more so than mine.

Trouble is, as nobody seems to have any experience of these lemons.. it's hard to find out.

[/quote]

The more I think about this, the more it rings true. On Gale's website, these speakers are pitched as home cinama efforts... and AV amps tend to pack a lot more power that your average stereo amp.

Thoughts?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about the ratings - unless you are buying PA gear, you won't find an amp with that sort of power output in a matching price range for the 4040s...

The 4040s are 90dB/w/m which is the same as my RS6s, and I'm running them from a 25wpc Rotel without issue.

There's also nothing to say that two speakers from the same stable are going to both be either good or bad. I do find (and I'm maybe a little outspoken here) that some of the Richer-specific speakers do not live up to their Brand's heritage (I'm thinking Gale and TDL specifically - both great British manufacturers once upon a time, but now owned by Audio Partnership).

In fact, thinking about it, you might want to search out some original TDL floorstanders (you can tell the pre-Audio Partnership models by the square ports at the base of each speaker) - they were transmission line designs with subterranean bass!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jbadman"]
..... indeed, can a 540a do rich, warm and punchy?
[/quote]

This is subjective, but if you ask me, I'd say No!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You can get much better than the Gales. Try standmounts like EPOS M5 or M12.2, or AVI Neutron IV, or B&W 685 (or older 601 S3). I think these would suit the Cambridge better than floorstanders. I think Monitor Audio speakers may be a bit bright with your Cambrisge stuff but I may be wrong.

Don't worry about 120W power rating either, your amp is perfectly fine. AV amps typically produce a thin and bright sound so don't go there either.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]You can get much better than the Gales. Try standmounts like EPOS M5 or M12.2, or AVI Neutron IV, or B&W 685 (or older 601 S3). I think these would suit the Cambridge better than floorstanders. I think Monitor Audio speakers may be a bit bright with your Cambrisge stuff but I may be wrong.

Don't worry about 120W power rating either, your amp is perfectly fine. AV amps typically produce a thin and bright sound so don't go there either.[/quote]

Thanks Joel, and indeed everyone. I'll take a look at the second hand market.... Don't worry, I won't go near an AV amp for audio purposes again... that's how I ended up in the current mess.....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]I wouldn't worry too much about the ratings - unless you are buying PA gear, you won't find an amp with that sort of power output in a matching price range for the 4040s...

The 4040s are 90dB/w/m which is the same as my RS6s, and I'm running them from a 25wpc Rotel without issue.
There's also nothing to say that two speakers from the same stable are going to both be either good or bad. I do find (and I'm maybe a little outspoken here) that some of the Richer-specific speakers do not live up to their Brand's heritage (I'm thinking Gale and TDL specifically - both great British manufacturers once upon a time, but now owned by Audio Partnership).
In fact, thinking about it, you might want to search out some original TDL floorstanders (you can tell the pre-Audio Partnership models by the square ports at the base of each speaker) - they were transmission line designs with subterranean bass!!![/quote]

Fatboyslimfast - something like these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDL-RTL3-Hi-Fi-Speakers-Pair_W0QQitemZ380009947485QQihZ025QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A

Anonymous

I am somewhat biased but i love my Mission M74's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MISSION-M74-SPEAKERS-WITH-NO-RESERVE-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ290216829639QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They dont go for huge amounts of money either.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"]In fact, thinking about it, you might want to search out some original TDL
floorstanders (you can tell the pre-Audio Partnership models by the square ports
at the base of each speaker) - they were transmission line designs with
subterranean bass![/quote]
Hey, I had a pair of these, like you blissfully niave when I purchased them many moons ago - I returned them the following day!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Hey, I had a pair of these, like you blissfully niave when I purchased them many moons ago - I returned them the following day![/quote]

Wow, at last someone who's actually heard these things... thanks for speaking up!

- What is your amp and cd player you used with the Gales?
- How would you describe the sound of the Gales? (obviously you didn't like it, but I'm interested)
- What did you replace them with and how would you describe their sound?

Sorry for all the questions, but being new to this game I'm keen to soak up as much knowledge from other peoples experience as possible.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jbadman"]

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Hey, I had a pair of these, like you blissfully niave when I purchased them many moons ago - I returned them the following day![/quote]

Wow, at last someone who's actually heard these things... thanks for speaking up!

- What is your amp and cd player you used with the Gales?
- How would you describe the sound of the Gales? (obviously you didn't like it, but I'm interested)
- What did you replace them with and how would you describe their sound?

Sorry for all the questions, but being new to this game I'm keen to soak up as much knowledge from other peoples experience as possible.

Cheers.

[/quote]

AmARockAndRollStar..... would really be interested in your comments on this one.... cheers!

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys - no sorry, evidently my quote did not copy - will have to remedy it.
I was suggesting not buying the TDL's as those were the speakers I bought in innocence many moons ago. Stay clear is my advice. Sorry for confusion!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts