NAS - advice, please

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Brain is overheating, please advise...Currently using a MacBook Pro (MBP) to play music files via an rDAC. If the material is 16-24bit/44.1kHz, it's streamed into an AirPort Express (AE) connected to the rDAC via TOSlink/optical.For 24bit/88-96kHz, the MBP is connected to the rDAC via USB.For 24bit/176-192kHz, the MBP is connected to the rDAC via a M2Tech HiFace/coax.To date, all's been fine. However, my MBP's HDD will soon be full.Is the solution a NAS? (A Synology DS211j looks tempting...)Will it be possible to stream 44.1kHz files into the AE or, in effect, will the NAS replace the AE? Will it be possible to send 24/176-192kHz files to the rDAC via the M2Tech HiFace/coax if the contents of my iTunes is on a NAS?If the contents of my MBP's iTunes is transferred to a NAS, will I be able to load/update an iPod from the MBP?And, assuming the NAS has sufficient disk capacity, will I be able to also use the NAS to backup my MBP's HDD?Thanks :)

Brain is overheating, please advise...

Currently using a MacBook Pro (MBP) and iTunes to play music files via an rDAC.

If the material is 16-24bit/44.1kHz, it's streamed into an AirPort Express (AE) connected to the rDAC via TOSlink/optical.

For 24bit/88-96kHz, the MBP is connected to the rDAC via USB.

For 24bit/176-192kHz, the MBP is connected to the rDAC via a M2Tech HiFace/coax.

To date, all's well. However, my MBP's HDD will soon be full.

Is the solution a NAS? (A Synology DS211j looks tempting...)

If so, is it be possible to stream 44.1kHz files into the AE from the NAS?

Will it be possible to send 24/176-192kHz files to the rDAC via the M2Tech HiFace/coax if the contents of my iTunes is on a NAS?

If the contents of my MBP's iTunes is transferred to a NAS, will I be able to load/update an iPod from the MBP?

And, assuming the NAS has sufficient disk capacity, will I be able to also use the NAS to backup my MBP's HDD?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts