Name that band (please help me)

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Can you please help me to try and name this band?

They were on Later with Jools Holland earlier this year. There were a lot of members in the band and they had a big brass section and I particularly remembere one guy playing a tuba! They played a sort of up berat type of blues.

I recently ehard a friend of mine playing them on his iPod and as we had a few sherberts at the time I cant't remember what they were called it sounde something like "Hoosan something or other or vcie versa. I have done searches on Amazon and iTunes and can;t find them.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic formum but I didn't know where else to post it.

Any suggestion (polite) would eb welcome.

Thansk
emotion-1.gif

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks VoodooDoctor. I have listened to a preview of them on the Amazon MP3 downloads and I don't think it's them. This group had at least 14 or 15 band members and were not purely instrumentals.

A

Anonymous

Was it Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra?

He sometimes has his own band performing on there, or as backing for one of the guests.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
gaffer79:

Was it Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra?

He sometimes has his own band performing on there, or as backing for one of the guests.

Hi gaffer nope it wasn't his rhythm & blues orchestra.

Maybe in the next year or so my mate will read the e-mail I've sent him and put me out of my misery.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I also would've guessed the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble from your description.

The only other thing I can think off of the top of my head might be Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. Bear in mind they don't have a tuba player and there aren't 15 of them, but maybe your memories are blurring into one... link

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Nope it ain't Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings either. I've already got her on my iPod. I'm sure they are from the USA and they are all male.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Did you listen to "War" on Amazon? That was what they played on the show. From your description you are describing the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. They stood round in a circle in the middle of the studio floor?

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
VoodooDoctor:Did you listen to "War" on Amazon? That was what they played on the show. From your description you are describing the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. They stood round in a circle in the middle of the studio floor? Yep I listened to all of them on Amazon and didn't recognise any of them. The band I saw weren't standing aorund in a circle.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Drummerdave:Broken Social Scene? There are loads of them, not sure about a tuba though No not them either but I like the sound of them. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thinking about the description, this could have been Allen Toussaint. I know he was on Later.. relatively recently, and he may well have had a large band backing him. I can't find any clips, though.

A

Anonymous

Through a bit of searching someone else asked the same question on wikianswers.no replies tho.the guy thinks the band name begins with B. 14 members.

thats all I got so far

A

Anonymous

Could potentially be Bellowhead, although they're more folk than blues. They do have a brass section, though.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I`m struggling here. Probably wasn`t them but there is a band called `The Imagined Village` who appeared on Later. They play folk with a modern twist and there are quite a few band members though I don`t think they have a tuba player.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm just back from a week in France and there was an e-mail from my mate informing me that the band in question is Hazmat Modine.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts