Naim with PMC?

th0m

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about upgrading my Dynaudio DM 2/6's to a pair of PMC DB1i's, but I'm wondering how the PMC's will sound together with my Naim Nait 5i. I'm worried they might sound a bit shrill together?

The Dynaudios do a good job of rounding out the somewhat in-your-face highs of my amp and source, but I've heard the PMCs are a bit more bright? I prefer a sweeter sounding treble to a more harsh and analytical one.

Any thoughts?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think it's generally considered a good combo. I used TB2+s when I first got my SuperNait and it was a pretty good match - certainly not shrill or over-bright, too much the otherway if anything (for me that is).

th0m said:
I'm thinking about upgrading my Dynaudio DM 2/6's to a pair of PMC DB1i's, but I'm wondering how the PMC's will sound together with my Naim Nait 5i. I'm worried they might sound a bit shrill together?

The Dynaudios do a good job of rounding out the somewhat in-your-face highs of my amp and source, but I've heard the PMCs are a bit more bright? I prefer a sweeter sounding treble to a more harsh and analytical one.

Any thoughts?

Certainly from my experience with PMCs they are NOT shrill in any shape. The midrange is fairly recessed...

A

Anonymous

th0m said:
the somewhat in-your-face highs of my amp and source

:

Any thoughts?

Try buying an amp and source that isn't shrill?

TBH I do like the Naim marketing, and listened to a competent setup at a show a little while back worth many thousands of pounds. While it was not an offensive sound (which is already streets ahead of many!) I did find it stultifying ordinary and couldn't work out what all the fuss was about. All their amps for instance are pretty much the same bar the PSU, and while nicey designed they are limited IMO.

th0m

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Globs said:
Try buying an amp and source that isn't shrill?

TBH I do like the Naim marketing, and listened to a competent setup at a show a little while back worth many thousands of pounds. While it was not an offensive sound (which is already streets ahead of many!) I did find it stultifying ordinary and couldn't work out what all the fuss was about. All their amps for instance are pretty much the same bar the PSU, and while nicey designed they are limited IMO.

I'm not saying they're shrill. They just have a lot of attack in the upper end (which I happen to appreciate), so paired with bright speakers I'm guessing it could become somewhat fatiguing. I really dig Naim and their sound signature, and I don't quite get what you mean by their amps being pretty much the same. Just compare the Nait 5i with the Nait XS for example.

Anyway, thanks for your input everyone. Really appreciate it.

A

Anonymous

th0m said:
I really dig Naim and their sound signature, and I don't quite get what you mean by their amps being pretty much the same. Just compare the Nait 5i with the Nait XS for example.

Sorry I was talking about the internal design - not the sound. The 5 series IIRC is a bit different inside from the old NAP250s etc. Have the latest ones still got the issue/feature about needing to use Naims own speaker cable?

th0m

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Globs said:
Have the latest ones still got the issue/feature about needing to use Naims own speaker cable?

You can use any cable you want as long as it's got banana plugs. There's no regular screw terminals though.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
On Naim amps the output stages are designed assuming the speaker cable provides a certain loading. Recommended minimum length of NACA5 is 3.5m per channel.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Noogle - didn't know if they'd kept that through the years.

Th0m: The Naim series of amplifiers has no Zobel inductor so relies on at least 3.5M of low capacitance cable to provide the inductance that the extra Zobel inductor would have provided. An output zobel is needed in all high-GNFB transistor amps. Instead of a Zobel there is in fact a resistor in series with the output (0.22R IIRC).

It's a clever way to avoid an extra component but does mean you mess with speaker cables on a Naim at your peril, courting instability, ringing and in the extreme case turning it into an oscillator. With the recommended cables it is stable into any load.

As an aside tube amps are immune from the low capacitance + inductive load requirement of transistor amps because of the output transformer.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
noogle said:
On Naim amps the output stages are designed assuming the speaker cable provides a certain loading. Recommended minimum length of NACA5 is 3.5m per channel.

My understanding is that this 'feature' is not an issue with the more modern Naim amps. Check with your Naim dealer if you are in any doubt.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Bodfish is right - the Uniti's manual for example, states that although users will probably get the best performance using Naim's NAC A5 cables, other brands can be safely used without destabilising the amp. Over on the Naim Forum, I've gathered that this is the same for Naim's newer amps.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
:dance: :dance:
th0m said:
Globs said:
Have the latest ones still got the issue/feature about needing to use Naims own speaker cable?

You can use any cable you want as long as it's got banana plugs. There's no regular screw terminals though.

Please see sig, Naim / PMC = :rockout: :bounce: :bounce: :rockout: :dance:

Whilst you "can" use any speaker cable you want the question is why would you?? NACA5 is a perfect match for naim. Get your dealer to solder on the plugs that come with your amp and bananas at the other end. Minimum length 3.5m either side MAX £120.

NACA5 is used with the reference 500 series on demo's.......................................

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I cannot decide if I want to settle on a Rega amp or Naim amp to go with my PMC's.

Rega Brio-r amp with PMC = warm & smooth, rhythmic. Tonality sounds good, in a natural way, a bit "earthy" (not cold at all). Bass is sometimes quite vicible but I believe this is meant so with the music I play, I am not tired of it (yet). Mid and high's quite smooth, not tiring.

Naim amp with PMC = what can I expect soundwise what the Rega amplifier (see above) cannot provide? Naim has more bass in general I believe?

Bryston with PMC = ? Informative, boring "studio-record engineering" sound? :silenced:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
mattmeer said:
Bryston with PMC = ? Informative, boring "studio-record engineering" sound? :silenced:
Far from it! :)

Naim amp with PMC = what can I expect soundwise what the Rega amplifier (see above) cannot provide? Naim has more bass in general I believe?
More exciting than the Rega combo. Naim is a little elan in the very low end, which generally makes for a faster sound. Others can sound a little bass heavy and sometimes 'plummy' in comparison.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Naim seems to have away of adding space betwen the instruments, lots of detail but is never hard or forward. Have a listen - it's either one of the few amps you're going to like so much you'll buy on the spot, or you won't see what the fuss is about.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
mattmeer said:
Far from it! :)

I heard this combo in my local dealer and streaming from a sonos into an m-dac sounded lush.

If I had the cash.........

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Bryston amplification is just effortless. It's never offensive, regardless of volume, and never deviates from its natural tonal balance, which seems to suit any loudspeaker. The grip they exert over speakers is phenomenal. If for any reason a Bryston amp isn't sounding right, you have to look at the source. They've been my favourite amplification for a long time.

TRENDING THREADS