Naim uniti star

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
latest

rainsoothe

:)))

@david f - thanks for the detailed response. Why bring the small (as in budget) Naits then, in a thread about the Nova, which is supposed to be at SU and SN2 levels, then? I mean you're implying (or inferring?) that a 4k component from brand A is better than a 4.5k one from brand B, by comparing it with a 1k or 2k component from brand B?

I haven't heard either the Plato or the Nova, but as I said, SN 2 doesn't lack grip at all in my view, and the Nova is supposed to be closer to SN level than Nait 5si level. That's why I saw your posts being very biased, and dealers that promote their stuff by slamming other stuff (or hinting it's underperforming or whatever) make me uncomfortable.

jjbomber

rainsoothe said:
I haven't heard either the Plato or the Nova, but as I said, SN 2 doesn't lack grip at all in my view, and the Nova is supposed to be closer to SN level than Nait 5si level. That's why I saw your posts being very biased, and dealers that promote their stuff by slamming other stuff (or hinting it's underperforming or whatever) make me uncomfortable.

As always, a 100 miles off topic, but I notice you have PM1s. What are like with the Naim 200? I'm very tempted to buy a 2nd hand pair of the B&Ws as they look drop dead gorgeous in mocha. Can they handle deep bass? Any other general thoughts?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
The whole range is geared towards streaming.so I don't really know why they put a unit out with a built in drive when the chances are that the buyer will probably have a pc with networking features in their own home.....
Hence why Convert Technologies released the Plato without an integral CD drive, and instead provide a USB DVD drive to transfer CDs onto its internal hard drive - when the drive gives up, you just buy a new one (if needed), rather than paying some costly figure to have it serviced/replaced. Makes the unit look much neater too.

That does make a lot of sense.

I would never buy another piece of quipment with a CD drive fitted (not including a PC where it can easily be replaced for £15).

I have no doubt the new Uniti range are great products - they possess the tactile niceness of the Muso products, along with good sound quality. They tick the right boxes with regards to features. I’d like to do them, but everyone else is, so there’s little point.

My concern was with the amplification, as it’s based on the Nait range of amplifiers (the £1k product I mentioned). I doubt very much that a £4K product is going to be using amplification from £3k amplifiers (despite price rises of upwards of 30%). The transformer may be similar, but there’s a marked difference in the number (and I guess, value) of the output capacitors used. The point I was making was to use loudspeakers that are a suitable load to make the most of the amplification, and I would recommend the same thing with the Plato.

I don’t know how the two products compare, as I’ve never heard them side by side. What I can say is that neither of these will be happy on the end of a conventional pair of £13k loudspeakers - all amplifiers have limits.

jjbomber said:
As always, a 100 miles off topic, but I notice you have PM1s. What are like with the Naim 200? I'm very tempted to buy a 2nd hand pair of the B&Ws as they look drop dead gorgeous in mocha. Can they handle deep bass? Any other general thoughts?
They have surprising bass presence for their small size, but will be limited on output as all small speakers will be. They need space to work at their best though, and like LS50s, need amplification with tight control over the bass drivers - this will get the most out of them and allow them to be pushed a little further. Probably one of the cleanest HF performances I’ve heard in a sub £2k speaker. It’s a shame they were discontinued as they’re a beautiful piece of furniture.

rainsoothe

@davidf - ok, that makes sense (on the 13k speakers reply)

@jj - +1 to all David said. Surprising impact for their size, great dinamics and full sound. I read everywhere that their own stands are a must if you want them to perform at their best, but I haven't heard them without. I went to audition something else, and left with a used pair of pm1. I also found them a better match for the nap 200 than b&w 805 (I forget which edition), as those probably require better amplification. They really are great imo.

rainsoothe

I think they're all the same, aren't they?...

@Davidf - ok, I just had a revelation. I misread the title of that other thread, and thought it was about the Nova (especially when you were talking about the Plato, considering the price), when it really was about the Atom. So... there you go :p Or was it another thread?

rainsoothe said:
I think they're all the same, aren't they?...

@Davidf - ok, I just had a revelation. I misread the title of that other thread, and thought it was about the Nova (especially when you were talking about the Plato, considering the price), when it really was about the Atom. So... there you go :p Or was it another thread?
No idea now!

jjbomber

rainsoothe said:
@jj - +1 to all David said. Surprising impact for their size, great dinamics and full sound. I read everywhere that their own stands are a must if you want them to perform at their best, but I haven't heard them without. I went to audition something else, and left with a used pair of pm1. I also found them a better match for the nap 200 than b&w 805 (I forget which edition), as those probably require better amplification. They really are great imo.

Many thanks for that. I shall keep looking for a pair in mocha.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts