Naim uniti star

Mr.Crow

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
This piece of kit is really interesting me but there seems to be very few reviews; I haven't seen one in What Hi Fi for example. On the Naim forums, there appears to have been an issue with the app which may be contributing.

Has anyone here heard/got one and would like to share their experiences with it? I'm particularly interested in speaker pairings.

Cheers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What I would be interested to learn is how well does it work. Does it overheat? Is it bass light/heavy? Is the software buggy? Does it have DSP? Is the interface awkward to use? Can you read the screen or is it too small? How good is the optical drive? Has it proven to be reliable? Is it cheap and easy to source if it goes kaputt? Does it take 5min to load and read a CD?

What's all this nonsense about 'sound quality' everyone is obsessed about? It better have good sound quality at that price in 2017! I expect a £300 Denon to be transparent and clean, with no audible distortion down to 4 ohm loads at reasonable loudness played in a typical living room. Why would I expect a £3000 Naim to be less than that?

red.pill_-300x147.png

The website claims that the star and nova are roon ready...

I'm pretty sure it's going to sound very good with the various favourable reviews of the nova and atom from various sites...but I think I'd try and save for the nova.....I just wouldn't feel that the longevity of that optical drive in the nova is sustainable (i might be wrong of course)....reading and storing music then playing cd's also...it's a lot to ask in the longer term I think.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It has a TEAC laptop DVD(?) drive. It definitely is not aimed at people with large CD collections spinning 10+ CDs daily. I doubt optical drive longevity would be more than 5 years.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s just way too much of a compromise all in one system. The disc reading drive is probably no more than a drive from pc world etc.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
It has a TEAC laptop DVD(?) drive. It definitely is not aimed at people with large CD collections spinning 10+ CDs daily. I doubt optical drive longevity would be more than 5 years.
Ha, Ha. It will need servicing by then, or recapping, or an upgraded power supply....!

The amp section seems to be a 5 series. I don't know how reliable they are, but if I was interested I'd get a general idea what to expect by reading Naim 5 owners feedback on forums.

Not sure what to expect about software though. Firmware updates? Or will it be a 5 year disposable?

PS I'm liking the build on the Naim UnitiLite more. Heftier power supply, better optical drive, room to breathe.

I'm sure product support will last many years...my superuniti uses the same app as the new models and is still getting support.

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-star

I think the amplifier section will be more akin to the nait xs with it's 70w per channel...the nova is based on the supernait 2 and the atom based on the nait 5i although has only 40w per channel.

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:
The website claims that the star and nova are roon ready...

I'm pretty sure it's going to sound very good with the various favourable reviews of the nova and atom from various sites...but I think I'd try and save for the nova.....I just wouldn't feel that the longevity of that optical drive in the nova is sustainable (i might be wrong of course)....reading and storing music then playing cd's also...it's a lot to ask in the longer term I think.
Thanks Mark. Didn't get a chance to look at specs.

Ive read about Superuniti being Roon Ready but wasn't sure Nova or the Star had the certification also. These new Naim all in ones look like neat solutions. Definitely worth a demo should someone wanted to build an all Naim system based on NAIT.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'm sure product support will last many years...my superuniti uses the same app as the new models and is still getting support.

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-star

I think the amplifier section will be more akin to the nait xs with it's 70w per channel...the nova is based on the supernait 2 and the atom based on the nait 5i although has only 40w per channel.

Ah, that explains the chunky aluminium casing with extra cooling facilities.

Its far from a shoddy build, the laptop drive is just an engineering compromise. There's no room for anything else in there. Also I doubt people with large CD collections and frequent CD use even look at these all-in-ones. Someone with 50-100 CDs would use the drive very sporadically.

The whole range is geared towards streaming.so I don't really know why they put a unit out with a built in drive when the chances are that the buyer will probably have a pc with networking features in their own home.....put a better dac in it..up the power....oh they already done that with the uniti nova.they must see a gap and a need in the market for the star

.oh and btw insider,I don't believe that the superuniti is roon ready....roon wasn't even conceived when the SU came to market....unfortunately for me.lol.

Mr.Crow

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
So has anyone heard one? Sounds as if will be similar to an SU... as to the transport, I would hope Naim, given their rep, would have something a bit more robust than a PC optical drive!

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:
The whole range is geared towards streaming.so I don't really know why they put a unit out with a built in drive when the chances are that the buyer will probably have a pc with networking features in their own home.....put a better dac in it..up the power....oh they already done that with the uniti nova.they must see a gap and a need in the market for the star

.oh and btw insider,I don't believe that the superuniti is roon ready....roon wasn't even conceived when the SU came to market....unfortunately for me.lol.
Yes, you are right. I though I have read it on Roon forum... Either info was incorrect or I remember it wrong. Happens too often recently.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
The whole range is geared towards streaming.so I don't really know why they put a unit out with a built in drive when the chances are that the buyer will probably have a pc with networking features in their own home.....
Hence why Convert Technologies released the Plato without an integral CD drive, and instead provide a USB DVD drive to transfer CDs onto its internal hard drive - when the drive gives up, you just buy a new one (if needed), rather than paying some costly figure to have it serviced/replaced. Makes the unit look much neater too.

I very much agree with you David on this.

There's a few all in ones around these days I wouldn't mind getting a listen to.

Sim audio,avm,the naim unitis and the convert technology that you mention...with the quality and technology on offer from these types of units these days I really don't think I'll be bothered with multiple boxes again.For my needs anything over and above the performance of the current and probably future crop of all in ones would be overkill . neat,tidy sound very good...what's not to like...oh that'll be the price.lol.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I very much agree with you David on this.

There's a few all in ones around these days I wouldn't mind getting a listen to.

Sim audio,avm,the naim unitis and the convert technology that you mention...with the quality and technology on offer from these types of units these days I really don't think I'll be bothered with multiple boxes again.For my needs anything over and above the performance of the current and probably future crop of all in ones would be overkill . neat,tidy sound very good...what's not to like...oh that'll be the price.lol.
Well, I have two of those - maybe three at some point in the near future - you know where I am.

I don’t think that all-in-ones are necessarily the compromise they used to be, and they’re certainly good enough now for those who were on the fence regarding quality to finally dive in. The main ones that won’t will be those who prefers to keep things separate, which is fair enough. I feel all-in-ones are much neater and simpler, but with enough space, I still wouldn’t rule out multiple boxes.

Unfortunately, price will always govern quality in one way or another. Vlad mentioned earlier about every other aspect over and above sound quality, and those certainly matter. I can vouch for the control apps of the Moon and Convert that they’re easy to use and just work without issues.

Another aspect of the Plato is the lack of bespoke remote control, which would usually be drain on the budget anyway. All network based products need an app, so why do they need a push button remote control? Convert provide a Kindle Fire as a controller. Remote breaks in 5 years? Try and get a replacement. In this case, just use your existing phone or tablet, or buy a new Kindle. Simple and easy. No half hearted conversations with dealers about whether they can or can’t order spares for you, or trying to find somewhere to order spares from.

rainsoothe

I think that the Plato is ugly af, a miditower PC case with a screen.

I also find Davidf's comment, in the other thread, about Naim lacking grip on speakers, pretty dubious, but if he doesn't deal Naim, there must be something wrong with it, at least compared to the better and cheaper brand he's stocking.

Now say what you will about Naim, they're far from perfect, and it all depends on taste, I understand why some don't like the presentation, but to say they can't grip speakers properly makes me raise my eyebrow. My qualm with the SN2 was that it was actually too "grippy", and wanted to hit me with the Martin Logan Motion 40 even when the music did not demand it. Or does "having grip" mean a dry presentation?

Anyway, point is audition and let your ears decide.

On the point of remotes - I use mine all the time, it's much quicker, being tactile and all, don't have to look at it etc. Only use the app to start the stream or play the album. Stop trying to sell by downplaying the usefulness of a remote (and inventing apocalyptic scenarios where remotes break all over the world at an alarming rate) and instead try to make an objective recommendation.

My superuniti has total authority over my baby pmc's..the nait xs was pretty good but the SU takes them to another level ..on paper they don't look like they need a half decent amp but that couldn't be further from the truth.I believe some folks have a less than positive experience or remarks with the twenty 21's and it's probably down to them not being driven properly.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If by control we mean tight bass with short decay, fast transient (attack), then this presumption about Naim amps lacking control might be rep from the olive era?

Mark Rose-Smith said:
My superuniti has total authority over my baby pmc's..the nait xs was pretty good but the SU takes them to another level ..on paper they don't look like they need a half decent amp but that couldn't be further from the truth.I believe some folks have a less than positive experience or remarks with the twenty 21's and it's probably down to them not being driven properly.
The SuperUniti uses different amplification to the X Series.

rainsoothe said:
I think that the Plato is ugly af, a miditower PC case with a screen.
Many people will like the simple, clean look. Others might want knobs. All personal preference. Unlike most hi-fi that only comes in black, or possibly silver too, it can be bought in any colour, which is an increasing requirement.

I also find Davidf's comment, in the other thread, about Naim lacking grip on speakers, pretty dubious, but if he doesn't deal Naim, there must be something wrong with it, at least compared to the better and cheaper brand he's stocking.
If you can’t handle the truth...

I’ve been a Naim dealer since 1990 on and off, and for the last 11 year’s up until a year ago. I’ve done many, many dems using the Nait amplification (and others), with numerous speakers, so I know exactly how they sound and compare. Anybody who has spoken to me about Naits in the past will have heard me say that there’s a certain amount of character to the Nait amplifiers, as they have a ‘loose’ bass, creating a warmth that a lot of people like. So this isn’t me trying to be negative on here because I am not a Naim dealer - this is what I’ve been saying for years. It’s very easy to demonstrate too. If you want an example, drive a pair of KEF R500s with a Nait or Nait XS, then put on the equivalent Primare/Exposure/Hegel etc etc. Plain as day. But as I say, some people prefer this, or haven’t experienced anything else, or maybe don’t even listen to the type of music that will convey this difference well.

Now say what you will about Naim, they're far from perfect, and it all depends on taste, I understand why some don't like the presentation, but to say they can't grip speakers properly makes me raise my eyebrow. My qualm with the SN2 was that it was actually too "grippy", and wanted to hit me with the Martin Logan Motion 40 even when the music did not demand it. Or does "having grip" mean a dry presentation?
Like the SuperUniti, the SuperNait 2 is different.

On the point of remotes - I use mine all the time, it's much quicker, being tactile and all, don't have to look at it etc. Only use the app to start the stream or play the album. Stop trying to sell by downplaying the usefulness of a remote (and inventing apocalyptic scenarios where remotes break all over the world at an alarming rate) and instead try to make an objective recommendation.
Remotes break. They also get clogged up with grunge from the day to day grime that lives on our fingers, particularly those who don’t wash their hands as often as others. Just look at computer keyboards. Now I’m all for remotes like the non Sky Q remote, as it’s an easy remote to learn and to use without looking at it, same with my Oppo remote - learn that into a touch screen remote and you’ve lost that, there’s a downside to everything. But more and more people are using their phones and tablets to control their electronics, so it’s a valid point. Over 27 years I’ve had people walking in with old (and sometimes quite complex) remotes that no longer work and they ask for replacements - the majority of the time you can’t get them anymore, and if you can, it could be £50-100 for a replacement. If you own a phone or tablet, chances are you’ll never not have one in the future, so your lost or broken remote worries no longer exist.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts