Naim Uniti Core

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Just checked this new product from naim and looks very good.

Im asking all Naim experts is the digital out or S/PDIF output optical or coaxial?

Also can the naim app select all tracks/artists on random play without having to make playlists etc?

They do have a diagram of the rear but the connections are covered over by the hard drive sticking out?

manicm

Andrewjvt said:

Im asking all Naim experts is the digital out or S/PDIF output optical or coaxial?

Also can the naim app select all tracks/artists on random play without having to make playlists etc?

They do have a diagram of the rear but the connections are covered over by the hard drive sticking out?

The Uniti Core, like its predecessor the UnitiServe, is primarily a music server that acts as a NAS and ripper within the Uniti system. Yes it can be used as a player directly but that defeats its purpose somewhat.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
manicm said:
Andrewjvt said:

The Uniti Core, like its predecessor the UnitiServe, is primarily a music server that acts as a NAS and ripper within the Uniti system. Yes it can be used as a player directly but that defeats its purpose somewhat.

If i wanted a player then id buy a cd player . Much cheaper. Im sicknof pluging in my laptop. I want a dedicated server that is hard wired to my amp and not to stream over network.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
The uniti star is the one I'd go for,the uniti core is basically just a cd ripper,that's a lot of cash just to rip cd's to a hard drive and pass on to a dac or digitally enabled amp.

For me imo that would be down grade in looking for quality storage solution with low noise power supply and large capacity ssd. Another product im looking at is innous also.

manicm

Andrewjvt said:
manicm said:
Andrewjvt said:

If i wanted a player then id buy a cd player . Much cheaper. Im sicknof pluging in my laptop. I want a dedicated server that is hard wired to my amp and not to stream over network.

The Uniti Core acts largely as a traditional NAS. The closest thing to what you want is a Melco. Very expensive though and with mixed user reviews.

Otherwise the Uniti players support USB drives and the basic browsing/tagging that goes with it.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
manicm said:
Andrewjvt said:
manicm said:
Andrewjvt said:

The Uniti Core acts largely as a traditional NAS. The closest thing to what you want is a Melco. Very expensive though and with mixed user reviews.

Otherwise the Uniti players support USB drives and the basic browsing/tagging that goes with it.

Cheers not heard of melco
Will have a look

Andrewjvt said:
manicm said:
Andrewjvt said:
manicm said:
Andrewjvt said:

Cheers not heard of melco Will have a look

These are very well reviewed in some publications but, as said, a bit on the expensive side.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
how many cd's you have to rip?
About 10 days worth constant listening. I buy about 4 a week.

Im looking at quality stand alone to free up my laptop with a quality digital out or usb so can be wired to amp.

It really annoys me i have to stick laptop on floor to play music.

Atm its between innous and this naim uniti core model.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
this naim uniti is expensive for what it does. .. more questions comes to mind: do u buy new cd's or second hand? new artist/ music or old or mix? could u get the same music as downloads at similar price? do u need cd cover? what would u do with the cd's once ripped? how about streaming service?

ps. sorry, it's just a boring night shift *pleasantry*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
this naim uniti is expensive for what it does. .. more questions comes to mind: do u buy new cd's or second hand? new artist/ music or old or mix? could u get the same music as downloads at similar price? do u need cd cover? what would u do with the cd's once ripped? how about streaming service?

ps. sorry, it's just a boring night shift *pleasantry*

I dont want to stream as i want hard wired. Yes its expensive as i could buy a nas much cheaper but maybe in my mind but im really sold on dedicated server. Innous have 3 different options also with usb out but the naim has bnc to phono coaxial. I think id prefer the coaxial conection.

I buy new cds. And ive found downloads more expensive..

Im off for 3 nights haha its my turn but have not slept for 36 hours so might fade.

lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
Does anyone know how much the hard drives cost for this uniti core?

Cant find anything on websites.

is that means the unit comes without integrated storage?
Storage and ripping is what it seems to do. So you get a computer disc reader and a hard drive. In this article (below) the hdd is a Seagate 2000GB, which I think is 2TB. It is debatable how under a hundred quids worth of bits ends up costing £1650. Answers on a postcard...!

https://andreweverard.com/2016/10/06/naim-not-just-a-new-uniti-but-a-complete-new-uniti-range/

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Andrew, u know u can hard wire streaming? just saying.. example sonos connect: cable from router to connect > optical out to hegel..

I buy music myself ( downloads cd quality) and downloads are cheaper everywhere than cds, especially if we're talking new music/ recently released albums plus an option to buy selected tracks is a real bonus.

think about it: to rip your collection using computer or naim will take same number of hours.

the main question is: is it worth to spend money now on naim to rip cds and keep buying cds and keep ripping them or perhaps would be more cost effective to rip your collection on pc, buy downloads in the future and get player with storage?

ps. 36hrs? wow.. you're better than me*acute*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
Does anyone know how much the hard drives cost for this uniti core?

Cant find anything on websites.

is that means the unit comes without integrated storage?
Storage and ripping is what it seems to do.  So you get a computer disc reader and a hard drive.  In this article (below) the hdd is a Seagate 2000GB, which I think is 2TB.  It is debatable how under a hundred quids worth of bits ends up costing £1650.  Answers on a postcard...!

https://andreweverard.com/2016/10/06/naim-not-just-a-new-uniti-but-a-com...

Thanks for the link can now add antipodes to the list although its very expensive

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know the type of HDD units are required to fit into these units? SATA, e-SATA or ? Im thinking of getting one of these and fitting inside a 480GB Solid State Drive. Just wondering which type (specifically) and which (reliable) brands should I be considering. Anyone know more or can offer a recommendation perhaps?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Selby said:
Does anyone know the type of HDD units are required to fit into these units? SATA, e-SATA or ? Im thinking of getting one of these and fitting inside a  480GB Solid State Drive. Just wondering which type (specifically) and which (reliable) brands should I be considering. Anyone know more or can offer a recommendation perhaps?

If you have to buy special drive at high cost from naim or can we fit our own that can slot in .

All i could find is when you buy the unit you het in the box 4 screws for hhd and 3 screws for ssd.

I will phone naim or email

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts