Naim System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]If i remember right, you did play with SuperNait at home (for the other mag) so did you try the DAC out?

[/quote]

You remember right as ever, Thai, and yes I did try the DAC, which I thought was really rather good. Hence my suggestion re hooking up the Arcam to it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew and Thaiman. I will probably be able to get a decent disc spinner out of them too so using the Arcam was only a last resort. I quite like that SuperLine though, and I hope you liked the play you had with the SuperNait Andrew, it looks to be quite a fun machine to fiddle with!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
So if that the case....superNait is now even better value
emotion-21.gif

Sell the Arcam off and buy Pioneer PD-s series (£50 -£70) for transport purpose and pocket the different
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
So if that the case....superNait is now even better value
emotion-21.gif

Sell the Arcam off and buy Pioneer PD-s series (£50 -£70) for transport purpose and pocket the different
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

Okay, so then the SuperNait works as the DAC and you only need the transport right? Why is the Pioneer PD-s series always regarded as the best transport?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Why is the Pioneer PD-s series always regarded as the best transport?[/quote]

PDS series such as 703, 505 etc was known for good transport + trust worthy laser. The company like trichord use them for moding purpose (upgrade DAC, clock, power supplies and such like).

Many people don't believe in transport make any different to the sound though but that is another story!!!!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I bet you never heard any yet have you? [/quote]

You are, as usual, of course absolutely right[quote user="Thaiman"]
but I am sure the budget Rega amp would sound a lot better than £5K Naim according to your expert ears
emotion-40.gif

[/quote]

... and again. Very good. I really can't wait for your next comment
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

over 30 years I've gone from a high quality (not Naim) system, incrementally, to a full Naim system (except for the tuner). I've auditioned and bought as supplementary items some of the expensive power supplies they make: XPS for the CDX player, hi-cap for the 82 preamp (actually a necessity with my chosen power amp). It's often struck me that if these power supplies bring such a significant improvement, why not make it that way in the first place? I suspect because it would make an already expensive range prohibitive. Having said that, it sounds great although I always think of how many records/CDs I could have bought for the price of each piece of hi-fi.

If you've a chance of cheap Naim (and you can afford it) then buy it. You'll probably like it but if you don't there's a healthy 2nd hand market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts