NAIM power supply upgrades

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
system:

CD5XS, NAC122x, NAP150X, FLATCAP XS, PMC GB1i.

I was thinking of buying a HICAP for the cd player, the dealer has said he will throw in a powerline for free(for the HiCap). Now I'm thinking of just getting 2, 1 for the cd player and the other for the pre-amp(freeing up the flatcap xs which I will sell).

Anybody any experience of adding a HiCap to the said mentioned cd/pre-amp, is it worth it?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I have experience with the hi-cap, but not with any of your specific components i'm afraid. But surely a dealer as accommodating as your seems to be would let you do a home demo.....that's the only way to really be sure. And if you're considering spending c. £2200 on power supply upgrades, think what primary component upgrades you could get for that (hey your dealer might even throw in a power-line or 2 regardless of what you spend your £2200 on).

If I were you I might want to demo the addition of the 2 hi-caps, against a NAC202 pre-amp and see which made the bigger difference. Although if you buy the hi-caps, then you can get a little bit back by selling the flatcap.

A

Anonymous

Dan,

Agreed. I was sort of thinking down that path, but the HiCap's first, then if I go for a NAC202 or Supernait then I can keep the HiCap for that too. I dont intend changing the cd player but will just add the DAC in time.

Thanks,

A

Anonymous

Both,

I can see why you are wondering who is making this great offer. Let me buy mine 1st, I'll mention it to him first and if he's ok with it i'll reveal all.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The Naim route is one way you could go. The other is to buy Naim compatible power supplies from other companies such as Avondale and TeddyPardo. The other is to change your CD player and amplification and maybe even speakers for something completely different.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
this NAIM really has to be either very lousy or brilliant company :rofl:

lousy: they can't even build a component with a decent power supply. and their gear don't cost peanuts, does it?

brilliant: they made their customers into thinking that buying a power supply worth ~ GBP 1100 is a great deal!

let's see now; CD5XS + HICAP = nearly GBP 2900 (source HiFix). that amount of money will surely buy a great CDP. such that doesn't need an external power supply to work well.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

think about it...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts