Naim Ovator S-400 vs Sonus Faber Venere 3.0

pakard

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
l'm looking for speakers, this is my two options so far. Any suggestions are welcomed.

My room is 35m2 and my amp is Devialet 110

Thanks alot!

pakard

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

A couple of questions to help narrow the search:

- What sort of music do you listen to?

- How do you like your music presented ie. Clean and forward giving a "warts and all" presentation, or sweet yet detailed?

- What is your max budget?

- Have you heard any brands that you have liked, and what makes have you got access to......what did you initially hear the Devialet with?

You have a brilliant amp, so you need to go armed with any suggestions you might get, and go listen...then try your couple of favorites at home.

It is worth keeping an eye on this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-devialet-thread

And there is also this one: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speakers-for-devialet-170

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the fun!

Good to see another Devialet owner on the forum. I've been reporting on my experiences of looking for speakers for my Dev 170 on The Devialet Thread.

It looks like you've decided in favour of floorstanders, and you have quite a large room. In that vein and in the same price range as the Ovators and Veneres: PMC OB1i, Audiovector Si3 Super/Signature, Spendor D7, new (curved) ATC SCM40, Proac D28, Neat Momentum 4i, Kudos Super 20, KEF R900 or Reference 203/2.

:cheers:

Matt

EDIT: my post crossed with Cno's.

pakard

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Im listening many types of music, Jazz, Blues, Electronic, Pop, Acoustic, Trip Hop...

Also i have option to take Guarneri Memento second hand (condition 10/10) for 6,5k euros and i think il take them...

P.S. I dont have chance to make audition at my home :

thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pakard said:
Also i have option to take Guarneri Memento second hand (condition 10/10) for 6,5k euros and i think il take them...

thanks!

I'd take them, that's all I can tell you. :rockout:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
pakard said:

I've never heard the Guarneri Mementos, but they have an excellent reputation, and for (some of) your music they should be lovely. (Not sure about trip hop though.) If it turned out that the speakers and amp didn't combine well, I guess you could always sell them on without too much of a loss.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

pakard

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Its fine, my trip hop is only a small part.

In what aspect you think that Devialet will not combine well with the Memento?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pakard said:
Its fine, my trip hop is only a small part.

Thanks

Matt can speak for himself, but I suspect he is being cautious, given how much you will be spending without a demo.

Personally, I'd be amazed if it wasn't one of the most musical systems on here.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
pakard said:

Well, you never know until you've tried ...

I do have a specific issue with my Dev 170 and Cremona Auditor Ms, which is that the mid/bass driver seems to be overloaded when listening to music with electric bass guitars. It's fine if I fill the rear ports with foam though. The Guarneri Mementos are also rear ported.

You say you can't do a home demo of the Guarneris: can you take your Dev 110 along to a demo?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
pakard said:
Im listening many types of music, Jazz, Blues, Electronic, Pop, Acoustic, Trip Hop...

thanks!

Hello pakard,

Welcome to the Dev-club, section 110!

In my opinion, the Guarneri Memento looks like a good deal, but not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (official retail price €9400). If you have this kind of money available, and keeping your room size in mind: do you have access to Quad ESLs? If you have any chance to hear them, driven by a Devialet, you should give it a try before deciding. Unless you're in a hurry... Or anyone uses his/her veto against speakers this size...

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Between the two I would go for the Sonus Faber as it's a much more refined speaker. I've never been attracted to the Ovator - a bit too in-your-face for me.

Having said that, I have no experience with the Devialet amp. Perhaps a good middle ground might be the new ProAc D30 (not sure if the D28 is still being made?).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Between the two I would go for the Sonus Faber as it's a much more refined speaker. I've never been attracted to the Ovator - a bit too in-your-face for me. Having said that, I have no experience with the Devialet amp. Perhaps a good middle ground might be the new ProAc D30 (not sure if the D28 is still being made?).

I have never got on with the Ovators.....but only heard them on the end of Naim systems.

I recognise that 'in your face' description too. There must be some redeeming features but I certainly didn't hear any!

This esteemed mag said: The S-400s deliver the kind of presentation that brings the musicians into your listening room rather than transporting you to the recording venue.

Perhaps a reviewer's way of diplomatically saying the same thing? Also says to me it cannot adequately reproduce the venue acoustics - which to me is a vital aspect of a decent speaker. It did get 5 stars though, so cannot be ignored.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Singslinger said:
Between the two I would go for the Sonus Faber as it's a much more refined speaker. I've never been attracted to the Ovator - a bit too in-your-face for me. Having said that, I have no experience with the Devialet amp. Perhaps a good middle ground might be the new ProAc D30 (not sure if the D28 is still being made?).

I have never got on with the Ovators.....but only heard them on the end of Naim systems.

Yes me too. All Ovator owners I know run them with Naim systems.

pakard

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
After several months this happend with my audio setup and to be honest im very pleased :)

image.jpg

Now i can get some advice for preamp (only with DAC)

Thanks, Cheers!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Gosh, yes, I should think you are happy. Sonus faber Guarneri Memento?

I'd be interested to hear a bit about them and what else you've listened to.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
pakard said:
After several months this happend with my audio setup and to be honest im very pleased :)

image.jpg

Now i can get some advice for preamp (only with DAC)

Thanks, Cheers!

Hi pakard,

What happened to your Devialet?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts