naim nac 112x/150x or 122x/150x or Nait Xs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear friends,

I am looking for a naim amp to complete my setup consisting of a cambridge audio 740c cdp and dynaudio focus 110 speakers in a room about 4m by 4m. this is my first foray into naim amplification after a denon, marantz and cambridge audio amps didnt quite do it for me. i just love the prat factor but couldnt muster enough $ for new unit.

there is a used 112x/150x set with a flat cap for around 950 quid from a private seller which is about 5 years old. i have read not so good things about the 112 and am a little hesistant especially given the age of the item. the price though, is tempting. Not sure if this is a risky purchase.

Another newer ( almost 1 year old) 122x/150x set is going for about 1500 pounds from another private seller. i was seriously considering this deal until i came across a Nait XS for the same money. I read that the XS is great but wouldnt do well with low quality digital files and it doesnt ahve the smoothness to music like the pre/power combo.

I can't listen to any of the amps as all of them are used items, hence need some advice for the good people here. this amp will be used for at least 5 years so trying to avoid future upgrades.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Hi Kadron,

any of these Naim amp combinations or the XS will sound different and similar at the same moment. Naim is focussing on other areas of tone. As per my experience , just replaced Cyrus by a Naim XS 152/155, the midrange and bass gained a lot whereas the treble area is not that detailed anymore. The combination of these circumstances makes the sound more round.

As per my experience a flatcap really would make sense if you have a Naim source = CDP or phono pre. These would benefit a lot. The pure pre amp or the XS would not be much better.

I'am very pleased with this different sound presentation.

What I know is that Naim is encouranging people to re-cap their units after appr.10 years. That means certain electronic components will be replaced because their life time is more or less finished. This would cost some money but keep the product sounding right.

So in your case buy units as young as you can.

regards

Edgar from Germany

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

My advice would be to buy an ex dem Nait XS, and run that for a while. Its a beautiful amplifier and many swear by them (I used to have one).

Then as funds allow you can add a power amp (NAP 200 for example), again remembering the need for recap at ten years.

Lastly you would be able to sell your XS and buy a dedicated pre amp (202 or 282), as and when funds permit.

However, you may, as many are be welll and truely satisfied with the XS.

differences for me going from XS to 202/200, was greater seperation and music was easier to make sense of, more precision n the placements of instruments and a much fuller sound stage. Although if I hadn't heard it, I would have been happy staying with, what was a great amplifie in the XS.

Hope that helps

A

Anonymous

Hi Edgar and True Blue,

thank you so much for your replies and advice, appologies for the delay in getting back here, had to travel unexpectedly.

I especially appreciated the advice to be aware of the recapping of naim equipment every 10 years or so, that made me reconsider the earlier deal on the 112x combo. Eventually, i went for the 122x/150x combo and i have been happy with them so far. I tried and liked the Nait XS alot, but preferred the sound of the pre-power setup just that much more. took my wife who is quite disconnected when it comes to hifi along, and she claimed the 122x/150x combo sounded better that the XS - which confirmed the deal for me :)

i am in the process of running-in the amp and going through my cd collection. On my focus 110s though, the amp seems to be slightly bright and sometimes a little harsh on lesser recording materials - quite odd considering the rather dark nature of the speakers. I am hoping this will eventually change once the amp gets up to 100hours in use. .

cheers guys.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 122x pre was a much better pre than the 112x. The pre/power will have the better ability of driving more awkward speakers than the integrated will, and will have the easiest upgrade path.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
excuse my ignorance, but what is this 'recapping'? is this part of the Naim upgrade path? Never heard of amps having to be serviced.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Components like output capacitors will degrade over time - this will apply to all amplifiers - and they can be sent back to Naim to be fully serviced and brought up to full spec.

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
kadron:
Another newer ( almost 1 year old) 122x/150x set is going for about 1500 pounds from another private seller. i was seriously considering this deal until i came across a Nait XS for the same money. I read that the XS is great but wouldnt do well with low quality digital files and it doesnt ahve the smoothness to music like the pre/power combo.

If you are being quoted £1,500 for just the 122X/150X then walk away that price is frankly taking the **** (they weren't much more than that new!). You should be able to pick up a pair for substantially less than that from a dealer and you will almost certainly get some warranty.

Also bear in mind that they stopped making these well over two years ago, check the serial numbers on the Naim website to see when they were made.

If you are talking about the 152XS/155XS then that is a different matter. As an example a well known Naim dealer is advertising an ex-dem 155XS for £749 (and you will get the full 5 year warranty on an ex-dem).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts