Naim DVD5 better then Blue Ray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
All,

My local dealer reckons that the Naim DVD 5 has the best picture and sound in his shop, even better then Blue Ray. As I,m in the market for a top class DVD player I,m split between spending a small fortune on this SD player or splashing out on Hi Def.

Your thoughts and recomendations would be much appreciated.

Rest of system is Naim Pre-Power and a pair of Spendor S6e speakers

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
He is talking ****...end of.
It might be a great DVD player, but the best DVD player wont touch a PS3 playing Blu Ray.

I imagine he fancies the comission a little too much...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Contrary view.

I'm running a DVD5 via the Onkyo 875's scaler into an elderly Fuhitsu plasma, and have yet to see anything from Blu-ray Disc to tempt me into a major system upheaval.

Miind you, if Naim had got its backside in gear and launched its long-awaited scaler board for the DVD5, I wouldn't need the Onkyo scaling...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Contrary view.

I'm running a DVD5 via the Onkyo 875's scaler into an elderly Fuhitsu plasma, and have yet to see anything from Blu-ray Disc to tempt me into a major system upheaval.

Miind you, if Naim had got its backside in gear and launched its long-awaited scaler board for the DVD5, I wouldn't need the Onkyo scaling...

And, I can agree that a damn good DVD player can be sufficient, but it isn't HD. There is no physical way that a picture with 'guessed' information can be 'better' than one with 4 times the native information.
I personally still buy DVDs, as they are enough, and Blu-Ray media costs too much for me, sseing as most films I rarely watch more than once. But for a dealer to say it's better is simply misleading, and wrong.
...although I guess it isnt 4 times, on an 'elderly plasma'... even so, the physics still stand.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard: I'm running a DVD5 via the Onkyo 875's scaler into an elderly Fuhitsu plasma, and have yet to see anything from Blu-ray Disc to tempt me into a major system upheaval.

I'm really confused.. are we talking here about sound or picture.. If picture.. than.. wow.. that's a very strong view Andrew! Better picture from upscaled DVD than even the cheapest BlueRay player? I've heard good things about Onkyo 875.. I've seen it in the shop.. but cmon guys.. it might be the best upscaler but it's far far from the BlueRay 1080p quality (unless you're watching some upscaled movies that were release on blueray!).

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
fr0g:I personally still buy DVDs, as they are enough, and Blu-Ray media costs too much for me, sseing as most films I rarely watch more than once.

Try LoveFilm.. Just like you I usually watch films just once and LoveFilm blueray collection (500+ titles) works perfect for me. 12£ a month and 2 disk at a time.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes well similarly I haven't seen anything in the way of TVs to give me the compulsion to upgrade from the Fujitsu yet.

And I didn't say it was HD. Just that at the moment it's more than good enough for me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
madeinstein:that's a very strong view Andrew! Better picture from upscaled DVD than even the cheapest BlueRay player?

That's not at all what I said.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
madeinstein:
fr0g:I personally still buy DVDs, as they are enough, and Blu-Ray media costs too much for me, sseing as most films I rarely watch more than once.

Try LoveFilm.. Just like you I usually watch films just once and LoveFilm blueray collection (500+ titles) works perfect for me. 12£ a month and 2 disk at a time.

Am tempted... Not the same price here in Sweden, but they are here...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
madeinstein:that's a very strong view Andrew! Better picture from upscaled DVD than even the cheapest BlueRay player?

That's not at all what I said.

Its what the dealer said though, and your reply was vague enough to back that up... ;)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Its what the dealer said though, and your reply was vague enough to back that up... ;)

Do you ever stop being so confrontational?

I can't really be held responsible for what a dealer says, or indeed for the misinterpretation you choose to put on my response to your typically aggressive reply to the original post.

A

Anonymous

Sound is very important to me so does that push me down the DVD 5 route or is there a high def. player out there that would make my Roger Walters, Dave Gilmore music DVD concerts shine ? ( sorry about the music, mid life thing ! )

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FloJoe:Sound is very important to me so does that push me down the DVD 5 route or is there a high def. player out there that would make my Roger Walters, Dave Gilmore music DVD concerts shine ? ( sorry about the music, mid life thing ! )

With that in mind I would say the DVD5 is well worth serious consideration. It's an excellent CD player, too.

A

Anonymous

Andrew thanks for the respone, I can recall from previous posts that you had a DVD 5. Do you think that after spending all that on the Naim, that in a few years I will not be able to but new dvd titles. At this price the thing will have to last me for many years service.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
fr0g:Its what the dealer said though, and your reply was vague enough to back that up... ;)

Do you ever stop being so confrontational?

I can't really be held responsible for what a dealer says, or indeed for the misinterpretation you choose to put on my response to your typically aggressive reply to the original post.

I apologise for any perceived aggression. However, it's a pet hate of mine when a dealer seems to be bigging up his own products... It hapopens from the likes of Richer sounds, to the likes of Naim dealers, and it's so unnecessary, and very unfair to the punter, especially when they go there expecting unbiased advice.

And it wasn't my misinterpretation. I understand what you mean. I imagine soundwise the DVD5 will beat most BR players, but the picture will not.

(And I prefer to call it argumentative.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I can't see DVDs disappearing from the shelves any time soon. The installed base of players is just too enormous.

And even the most vociferous proponents of Blu-ray Disc seem to agree - see here.

A

Anonymous

flojoe your dealer may well like the money he will make on the naim kit but generally the type of dealer that sells that kit is the type that gives sound advice and is not after the quick sale i have a kuro and have borrowed a ps3 off a friend also bought a pana bd30 and took it back the next day both when you see them on your own setup will disapoint i have a dealer by me who has 50 inch 1080 kuros full hd infocus 83s and i have viewed the ps3 on these along side the arcam fmj dvd which costs over 1500 more than the ps3 but it showed the ps3 a clean pair of heels and that was with the ps3 playing blu ray titles i would wait to see a player from one of the big boys

A

Anonymous

frOg

When you say DVD5 will beat most BR players, do you mean that there are some that could get close to the Naim. If so, please could you let me know which ones you would recommend as this will narrow my search down massively for demo purposes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:I imagine soundwise the DVD5 will beat most BR players, but the picture will not.

And again, I didn't say the picture of the DVD5 would beat that of Blu-ray players. You're continuing to misinterpret my comments.

On a wider point, I would expect a dealer to 'big up', by which I assume you mean promote, the products he or she sells - if not, why on earth would they be selling them?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
And again, I didn't say the picture of the DVD5 would beat that of Blu-ray players. You're continuing to misinterpret my comments.

On a wider point, I would expect a dealer to 'big up', by which I assume you mean promote, the products he or she sells - if not, why on earth would they be selling them?

And again, I didn t say you did.

I was saying your response was vague enough for that to be the interpreted advice. Thats all.

And I understand a dealer will promote his or her own products, but when they are asked for advice, and give bad advice (read 'wrong'), then it's out of order IMO

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:but when they are asked for advice, and give bad advice (read 'wrong'), then it's out of order IMO

For which read advice you consider to be wrong.

Of course, it could just be that the retailer in question genuinely believes what they are telling the customer, in which case it's anything but 'out of order'.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
fr0g:but when they are asked for advice, and give bad advice (read 'wrong'), then it's out of order IMO

For which read advice you consider to be wrong.

Of course, it could just be that the retailer in question genuinely believes what they are telling the customer, in which case it's anything but 'out of order'.

Ok, fair enough, that is (just about) possible...
But can I ask you which you(as a highly regarded WHFS&V reviewer) think is the best picture...A mid priced BR player, or a Naim DVD5?

A

Anonymous

WOW! A Naim dvd versus blu-ray flame thread!I was going to get a dvd from the shelves, but this is more entertaining.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
FloJoe:
frOg

When you say DVD5 will beat most BR players, do you mean that there are some that could get close to the Naim. If so, please could you let me know which ones you would recommend as this will narrow my search down massively for demo purposes.

Playing back music there wont be a BR player to touch it yet, but then a DVD5 cannot playback the High Definition Sound AV formats...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:But can I ask you which you(as a highly regarded WHFS&V reviewer) think is the best picture...A mid priced BR player, or a Naim DVD5?

As I said near the beginning of this thread, I "have yet to see anything from Blu-ray Disc to tempt me into
a major system upheaval."

At which point I think I will withdraw from what is clearly a pointless agrument.

And no, Solomon1, I don't think this is in any way Solomon1: A Naim dvd versus blu-ray flame thread!.

Instead it's just a spot of WHFSV staff-baiting. We're used to it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts