Marantz UD8004 Blu-Ray versus Denon AVR-2310 ABT2010 for video processing (Anchor Bay)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested in peoples opinion, especially from the What Hi-Fi team, on the review in the March issue of What Hi-FI on the Marantz UD8004 Blu-Ray player.

In the review it gets exceptional picture quality, which is based on Anchor Bay's ABT2010 chip, which provides powerful deinterlacing, scaling and image enhancement. Putting aside its sonic superiority, and if I was looking for better picture quality for my plasma screen, then I had previously considered upgrading to a Denon AVR-2310, which also has the Anchor Bay ABT2010 chip, and let the Denon do all the video processing (inculding Sky+HD and a lower priced Sony Blue Ray)?

I currently have a Denon S-301 (a 2.1 Chanell DVD system) and an HD-Ready Panasonic 37", so looking to upgrade to seperate components and a new Pansonic Plasma when I see the new 2010 line-up reviews. I am considering:

New 46" Panasonic Plasma

Denon AVR-2310

Sony BDP-S760 or S360 (and let the Denon 2310 do the video upscaling if the ABT2010 is so good)

KEF KHT3005SE

I know there have have been lots of threads around the pros and cons of having the AV do all the video processing, with the counter arguements that other devices can do a better job (i.e. the TV's onboard upscaling, or the Blue Ray player - although Sky+HD doesn't seem to get a favourable opinion on its upscaling ability). From the Maratz UD8004 review, the Anchor Bay ABT2010 appears to give it the thumbs-up, or is there more to the Marantz's video processing other than the Anchor Bay chip? If it really is that good, then it sounds a good idea to me to have the Denon AVR-2310 do all the video processing?

Comments much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Just my view, but I assume that although the chip is the same in both the AVR & M Blu ray player, you would probably find that it's more the sum off all parts, rather than just the chip, i.e. signal path, isolation from other interferance, chasis etc. that will make a overall difference to the picture it spits out.

I remember reading somewhere that you would have to spend well over 1k to get an amp with excellent upscaling.

You could always look at something like the DVDO edge or similar, that only scales, as an option although I have never seen one in operation.

If you are willing to wait a while for the TV, why not wait and see what else changes, both Yamaha and Onkyo will have AV receivers out with v.1.4 HDMI, better scalers possibly and you may even end up with a TV & Blu ray player that supports 3D, for not much more money.

Just a thought, although I am not really going that 3D route, But I never could wait for anything.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Markjaspi for good advice.

I did occur to me that it may have been the sum of all parts, rather than just the Anchor Bay chip, although the review was not clear on that point.

I am now tempted to wait a year or more, as I am in no big hurry, especially as I'd like to see how Panasonic can develop their latest plasma TVs to see how close they can get to Pioneer's Kuro standard (I am very happy with mine, even though it is only 37", HD-ready and now over 2 years old with no complaints at all - I am also very much in favour of plasma rather than LCD). Also, if the upscaling improves on the AVRs, then gives me a great solution all round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts