naim, din plugs and eddy currents...

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

Lots of companies have their USPs or peculiarities - I'd argue that who cares - it's about how the equipment sounds to you.

The bigger question is how do you have the patience to find and watch all these hifi videos?!

the point was if din plugs are superior as described in video why do more companies not use them ?

i have an interest in hifi and youtube provides a huge choice of video material !

D

Deleted member 188516

Din connectors common in the 1970s in europe
RCA/XLR globbaly accepted standard

but as stated in the video are the din plugs / connection better and, if yes, why is this not the globally accepted standard ?

Johnny31

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
but as stated in the video are the din plugs / connection better and, if yes, why is this not the globally accepted standard ?
Betamax was waaaay better than VHS - and we all know what happened; I can give you at least 3 other such examples... So - extrapolate from there.
It is always down to $$$ unfortunately and which corp backs what...

TrevC

Betamax was waaaay better than VHS - and we all know what happened; I can give you at least 3 other such examples... So - extrapolate from there.
It is always down to $$$ unfortunately and which corp backs what...

The first Betamax machines were poor and very large compared with the first VHS, and the Sony ones were very prone to breakdowns and head wear with clogging because they remained threaded up while rewinding. Later Betamax machines had far better picture quality.

D

Deleted member 188516

As long as the connection is made it doesn't matter. Din plugs are a faff to solder, so I'm pleased they have gone.

but naim still use them !
(its all about the eddy currents !)
is the info correct in the video ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

Why XLRs for hifi where noise cancellation isn't required? Who knows.

thats something i never understood either (?)
for hifi use one connection has to be the best - rca, xlr or din ?

iMark

I remember DIN-plugs on equipment made in Europe. Brands like Dual and Philips used DIN. Very easy to use and I couldn't see anything wrong with DIN. But than the market was flooded by better and cheaper HiFi from Japan and they never produced equipment with DIN sockets.

Gray

I'd like to have heard someone asking the Naim man whether they've done any research on the issue of crosstalk.
Manufacturers make quite a bit of effort to avoid it to maintain maximum channel separation figures.
Within DIN plugs / sockets you've got both channels coming very close together.
Naim would no doubt say channels come just as close within signal switches etc., so they could argue that DIN connectors are no worse than those things.
Nevertheless such issue doesn't exist with RCA connection.
The extra crosstalk would be very slight - but, you can bet, no more slight than the benefits they're talking up with DIN.

daytona600

Noah had DIN plugs on the Arc
21st century systems like AOIP have 2 to 256 channels
analogue & digital inputs & ethernet connection to active speakers
88856 (1).png

You can directly connect your computer to loudspeakers via a CAT.6 Ethernet cable in order to stream high
resolution audio
• In complex multi-channel setups (Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D etc.), multiple separate loudspeakers can be fed
with a single high-resolution audio stream and each one of these speaker channels can be controlled individually by software control applications
• Audio devices in different rooms or facilities (e.g. movie theaters, conference rooms, live concerts and
music festivals) can be controlled from one or multiple workspaces connected to the Ethernet network
• AoIP will enable broadcast engineers to simplify the in-house signal distribution in broadcast stations

D

Deleted member 188516

Noah had DIN plugs on the Arc
21st century systems like AOIP have 2 to 256 channels
analogue & digital inputs & ethernet connection to active speakers
View attachment 1578

You can directly connect your computer to loudspeakers via a CAT.6 Ethernet cable in order to stream high
resolution audio
• In complex multi-channel setups (Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D etc.), multiple separate loudspeakers can be fed
with a single high-resolution audio stream and each one of these speaker channels can be controlled individually by software control applications
• Audio devices in different rooms or facilities (e.g. movie theaters, conference rooms, live concerts and
music festivals) can be controlled from one or multiple workspaces connected to the Ethernet network
• AoIP will enable broadcast engineers to simplify the in-house signal distribution in broadcast stations

so do you think din, rca and xlr be replaced by aoip eventually ?

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Din/XLR (Linn use XLR) have a clean earth, rather than a chassis connected Earth, this is the reason they sound better. If you check Naim equipment with phono sockets on them, the socket outer shield is isolated from the chassis, rather than a direct connection to the chassis Earth, that can be susceptible to RF interference etc

When I connect my TV to my Naim system the quality is detracted, probably because it isn't a clean Earth? or there are multiple Earths on my system? I currently have my system Earthed via the tonearm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts