admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I can find very little in What hi fi on this model - it's not even listed in the CD players over 1000 pounds.

Does anyone have any experience out there with it - I've read on the threads that a flatcap x2 is essential and I have also heard that the model is being discontinued for a CD5XS to go with the NAIT XS it's natural amp partner

Is the jump from Naim CD 5I- 2 worth the nearly double your money and does the Nait XS insist on the CD5X or its replacement to really sing

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the CD5X and Nait XS together (not with Flatcap 2X though) and the sound was exceptional +++

I could not afford either so I bought the CD5i and Nait 5i instead. (I will just have to make sure I never hear the CD5X and Nait XS together again then I will be happy.)

Very soon there will be a new CD5XS and the onboard DAC will be able to be used for streaming music from your computer/NAS etc as well.

A

Anonymous

what were the speakers on that combo

would you advise a dac between your computer and Nait 5i

A

Anonymous

First question still applies Chebby

sorry - just seen your signature - you believe in Beresford - so no dac magic for you then, and the reason ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
peebs:what were the speakers on that combo
Rega RS1's (1st occasion) Rega RS3's (2nd occasion)

peebs:would you advise a dac between your computer and Nait 5i

Yes, why not? For Freeview Radio, DVD/Blu-ray sounds, iTunes downloads, BBC iPlayer, youtube, internet radio etc etc. a decent budget DAC is good fun.

A DAC Instead of the CD5i or CD5X ? Emphatically no! Unless you are going to buy one hell of a good DAC. (And you would need to be thinking of DACs around the same price as the respective CD players.)

Have you heard any of these Naim combinations? Preferably a home demo. It is the only way to make up your mind. Can't really 'do' Naim comparisons on a forum. It took me almost a year to get my head around the Naim sound (about 4 demos over a year with the first two being a disaster that cost me a year of Arcam ownership!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
peebs:First question still applies Chebby

sorry - just seen your signature - you believe in Beresford - so no dac magic for you then, and the reason ?

I don't 'believe in' Beresford. I like it.

I did not like the DacMagic so I took a complete chance on the TC-7520 without even hearing it first. Glad I did.

A

Anonymous

my intention would be to demo a Nait xs / Naim cd 5x witH PMC DB1'S

But I fear the speakers won't give the rest of that set up a good run for the money

Rega RS 3/ 5's are gaining a lot of fans

I wonder about the Sonus Faber Concerto Domus - but get forum vibes about great classical but weak bass and of course with them floor space becomes an issue

Proac studio 100 or a Totem have got to be there or thereabouts

The Dac thing is useful out of the PC or whatever - but it's another piece of kit which with headphone amp, tuner, amp, tramsport , phono turns a room into a hi fi shop !

A

Anonymous

Don't know where the weak bass idea comes from, doesn't correspond with my thoughts on the Sonus Faber at all. It's a very musical, truthful speaker than doesn't go in for artificial slam or treble-boosted detail. True, it's forte is classical, rock and jazz, but doesn't sound bad with heavy metal, just doesn't push the music forward as other speakers do. Very listenable, even if not gut-wrenching.

Much better than the Totems, by the way, in almost every department, including bass, which, with the Totems, can be lost in larger rooms.

It's been a while since I heard Rega speakers, but I wouldn't think they're in the same ball park - they cost considerably less, after all.

A

Anonymous

Chebby old boy, reviewed this thread and re read your reference to the the Beresford dac etc

where did you purchase yours and how did you get the opamp.... xxxx upgrade ( if that's what it is ) ?

I've gone to the Beresford website of course , but also a very good deal at Acton Gate on the musical fidelity v dac competition. Can't find many places that stock Beresfords

BTW - I like your musical tastes Naim wise and will give you a view as promised on the demo of a Nait xs with PMC DB1's when I complete it

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts