Naim amplifier in a non Naim system?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have the opportunity to buy a used Naim Nait 5i for a good price but it is not possible to audition it in my own setup. Since i have seen more than once that Naim works best with Naim, i am a bit in doubt if the Naim Nait 5i would be a good match with my Vincent CD-S6 tube cd player and Dali Mentor Menuet speakers.

A

Anonymous

If it's a good price, then you can sell it on at a good price, too, say may be worth the slight risk.

Naim does work well with other kit, by the way. I'm using mine with a Musical Fidelity source, and the sound isn't half bad.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:If it was from a dealer and didn't like it, a good dealer will let you have a home trial or a 'returns policy'.

PP has a good point, I know from experience Naim isnt to everyones tastes! Have you heard their kit before?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
JamesOK:

PP has a good point, I know from experience Naim isnt to everyones tastes! Have you heard their kit before?

I heard a Naim setup about 5 years ago. Used with a pair of B&W Nautilus 803 i did not like the sound at all. With a pair of Proac speakers i liked the sound much more.

I don't know how it will sound with my Vincent CD player and Dali speakers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
GeoffreyW:Erwin, do you have a local Naim dealer, from whom you might home audition a Nait? Assuming you don't have to make a quick decision on your purchase?

Isn't that a little unethical? Borrowing a demo unit from a dealer with no intention of buying from them, to find out whether you should buy a used one from elsewhere?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
GeoffreyW:Erwin, do you have a local Naim dealer, from whom you might home audition a Nait? Assuming you don't have to make a quick decision on your purchase?

Isn't that a little unethical? Borrowing a demo unit from a dealer with no intention of buying from them, to find out whether you should buy a used one from elsewhere?

Agreed.

I buy about 90% of stuff online but when I bought my Naim kit the dealer added so much value and spent so long with me there was no way I was then going to buy elsewhere.

Often a double whammy for retailers - do all the work and someone else gets the sale...

I think once the current economic strife is over the government will look into a tax for online retailers to level the playing field. I'm all for online shopping but taken to a 'possible' conclusion, do I really want to have no shops on the high street?

Andrew Everard:

Agreed: it really gets my 'goat' when people audition a component from a reputable dealer and then buy online. I believe in loyalty, allied to the fact you know a warranty is a given...

The only half dodgy thing I've bought hi-fi-wise is my Leema. I auditioned the amp at 7 oaks Guildford and purchased from the Brighton branch. I felt guilty about that, because both branches are franchised, so technically not the same company, although the trading name is identical.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site

I have a local Naim dealer but i don't like to audition equipment in a store and buy somewhere else. I would feel guilty.
emotion-10.gif

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
ErwinC:
I have the opportunity to buy a used Naim Nait 5i for a good price but it is not possible to audition it in my own setup. Since i have seen more than once that Naim works best with Naim, i am a bit in doubt if the Naim Nait 5i would be a good match with my Vincent CD-S6 tube cd player and Dali Mentor Menuet speakers.

so far as your speakers, I haven't a clue. So far as your CD player, I would say it's worth a shot. Valves present an inherently low impedance. Now, with the Nait, you should have the best of both worlds. The interconnects will be cruciable tho.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Richard Allen:
so far as your speakers, I haven't a clue. So far as your CD player, I would say it's worth a shot. Valves present an inherently low impedance. Now, with the Nait, you should have the best of both worlds. The interconnects will be cruciable tho.

Thanks for your reply. I use QED Silver Spiral interconnects. Will that be a problem?

A

Anonymous

I would not pair a non Naim CDP with a Naim Amp. I been trying all my luck with other brand of CDP to pair with my Naim. It just simply doesn't sound right. Been thru all this and gave up and bought a Naim CDP. Sorry for being a wet blanket but it is worth a shot though to pair with your existing CDP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts