Nagaoka Carts from Japan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Only so much I can say, but yes, I'm not yet, but will. :)

Whenever is the right time, keep me in the loop, please.

Any approximate time span when Op Nag is likely to commence, BBB?

I shall commence the operation very soon Charlie. Are you looking for the 200, 300, or 500?

As yet I don't know. It depends on prices, suitability and potential improvements over my existing Goldring 2400.

Any thoughts, anyone?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Bloody Hell BBB

I am soo tempted with a MP500 now - considering how good the MP200 sounds I am sure it wont fail to impress.

Probably think the MP500 is a far I could go on the RP6

cheers

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Bloody Hell BBB

I am soo tempted with a MP500 now - considering how good the MP200 sounds I am sure it wont fail to impress.

Probably think the MP500 is a far I could go on the RP6

cheers

Hells bells Steve, dont know the RP6 but if its anything like the P5, I have a Sumiko Celebration Pearwood MC on mine, £1350 quids worth, sounds like a million dollars. It just requires those little tweak's to get it out of the mundane 'plug and play, that will do' type of thinking. You need a decent sub-platter, ceramic bearing, may be an Acrylic platter although I dont like them, others do?

What you heard about mine was with the original RB700 arm, a replacement sub-platter, low slung counter weight and ruby bearing. I'm quite confident much better cartridges will be happy in my setup, especially as I now use an Audio Mods Classic arm, which itself can take a little bit of unusual mounting technique at the cartridge end. This year I have added to solidity and isolation factors of the TT as well,

IMHO, there is SQ to be had, if you have patience and can be bothered, it did not cost a fortune either . . . CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I shall commence the operation very soon Charlie. Are you looking for the 200, 300, or 500?

Might as well go the whole hog: MP500. Dependant on total cost, of course.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'll look into it, and let you know a price.

I think we might have to continue this conversation off of the forum, if you are ok with that, and WHF are able to fascilitate it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'll look into it, and let you know a price.

I think we might have to continue this conversation off of the forum, if you are ok with that, and WHF are able to fascilitate it.

Yes, that's fine. Email will suit me fine.

Thanks.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

Thanks.

Or, if you're on AVForums, we can message privately?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Thanks.

Or, if you're on AVForums, we can message privately?

Not on AVF, but can be.

I'm attempting to get my email details to you Charlie, if this is not possible, then AVF is probably the best option.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Freddy58 said:
Hiya :)

Nagaoka seems on the whole to be the preferred brand of cartridges. Is it possible to characterise the sound as compared to others?

I'll take that as a "no" then

I haven't heard them, but they seem popular. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more detail.

I've heard the 150 and 500 and for the money you are probably not going to beat their overall quality.

I only got the Zyx because I got a very good price deal on it - and it is better than either Nag. But then it should be as it's officially dearer than the MP500, however I got mine for less than the rrp of the MP500. :)

Just as an aside there is good mileage in getting a Denon DL-103R and something like the Isokinetic's Carbon body. The two combined will give similar results to a MP500.but would not have a replaceable stylus.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, when I get my TT sorted, which will be an RP3 in some form or other, I'll be wanting a good cartridge. Thing is, I recall many years ago having a Rotel TT (RP5300?) which I fitted with a Shure M95ED. I decided later onto fit a Shure V15 mk iii, which was 3 times the price at around £50, a lot of money back then! Anyway, if anything, it wasn't as good as the M95ED, imo. It seemed to my ears to be very hard sounding, not sweet at all.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
the step up from the MP110 to the MP200 is a signifacant!

the MP200 has a boron cantilever, it sounds so airy & lush

the MP200 canes the Rega EXACT too, and the EXACT is not a bad cart

I assure you, you will not be dissapointed

If you have the money for the MP150, then stretch a bit futher to the MP200 as the MP150 has the alloy cantilever and this, believe it or not makes all the difference - yes I was sceptical too - but I have been proved wrong

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Well, when I get my TT sorted, which will be an RP3 in some form or other, I'll be wanting a good cartridge. Thing is, I recall many years ago having a Rotel TT (RP5300?) which I fitted with a Shure M95ED. I decided later onto fit a Shure V15 mk iii, which was 3 times the price at around £50, a lot of money back then! Anyway, if anything, it wasn't as good as the M95ED, imo. It seemed to my ears to be very hard sounding, not sweet at all.

Ok so you will get an RP3 (excellent choice) what budget have you got for a cartridge????

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:

If you have the money for the MP150, then stretch a bit futher to the MP200 as the MP150 has the alloy cantilever and this, believe it or not makes all the difference - yes I was sceptical too - but I have been proved wrong

Thanks for that. How does it sound with accoustic guitar? Voices?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:

Thanks for that. How does it sound with accoustic guitar? Voices?

Everything soiunds beautiful with the MP200

Lorde - Pure Heroine is to die for

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:
Lorde - Pure Heroine is to die for

Hiya Steve. Not my cup of tea, but I can see how it would sound good :)

It was purely purchased on recommendation as the mastering/sq/pressing is top notch and is an example how all vinyl should sound

played it to a mate - he was gobsmacked at the depth & clarity to it

in actual fact, said mate has become a vinyl addict and he has just purchased an RP3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts