Nagaoka Carts from Japan

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:
Lorde - Pure Heroine is to die for

Hiya Steve. Not my cup of tea, but I can see how it would sound good :)

It was purely purchased on recommendation as the mastering/sq/pressing is top notch and is an example how all vinyl should sound

played it to a mate - he was gobsmacked at the depth & clarity to it

Try Solitude Standing - Suzanne Vega ;)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
stevebrock said:
Lorde - Pure Heroine is to die for

Hiya Steve. Not my cup of tea, but I can see how it would sound good :)

It was purely purchased on recommendation as the mastering/sq/pressing is top notch and is an example how all vinyl should sound

played it to a mate - he was gobsmacked at the depth & clarity to it

Try Solitude Standing - Suzanne Vega ;)

lol

play it regular - last night - if you monitor what are you listening too thread?

that is an immnese sounding album - one of my faves - every track is beautiful and sounds even more beautiful

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy, your a newcomer -what set up>?

Hiya Steve. No set-up as yet. I actually posted a thread in the main forum but got hardly any response. I've been out of the scene for a long time, but in a couple of months I plan to build up a system. I already have Rega Planar 3, but it's quite old, probably 25-30 years. On paper, I have my eyes on the Marantz 6005 amp and cdp. Speakers maybe Tannoy Revolution Se floorstanders. I would quite like to hear the new B&W 685's. At this stage though it's all open...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
in actual fact, said mate has become a vinyl addict and he has just purchased an RP3

Does he need an Nagaoka cartridge? ;)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
do ypu plan to keep the Rega Planar?

will vinyl be your main source?

I had a Marantx PM6004 - its a fine amp but I never used the phono stage - but heard its ok

IMO your amp & cd choice is fine - make sure you demo speakers with your amp

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
in actual fact, said mate has become a vinyl addict and he has just purchased an RP3

BBB I got him on a Nagaoka MP110 - he is happy as a pig in **** mate

Good, though the upgrade bug will bite in the future, it always does. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:

BBB I got him on a Nagaoka MP110 - he is happy as a pig in **** mate

Good, though the upgrade bug will bite in the future, it always does. :)

how very true

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy, get a Brio R - the best sub £500 amp if your main source is vinyl - excellent phono stage in it

I have thought about that, although I've not heard it. The only problem is that I don't find it aesthetically pleasing. It might not look 'right' with the other full-sized components?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Having had a couple of weeks home demoing a couple of phono amps I have decided to stick with my Creek phonoboard. To my old ears I found it virtually impossible to say that either the Rothwell or Graham Slee offered the sort of improvement that would justify the cost. Both truly excellent phono amps, but I had clearly underestimated my Creek.

However, demoing phono amps is one thing, but trying different cartridges is virtually impossible. People asking for "which cartridge?" advice on this forum and others are given lots and lots of different options and opinions, but how do you decide, it seems very hit and miss to me. I know from experience that a change up in cartridge can make a big difference. Last year for example I damaged my Rega Bias cart on my old P3 and moved up to a 2M Blue, and boy the difference was immense. So there should be really, the 2M Blue was 3 times the price of the Bias. However it got me thinking about having different cartridge options. I'm really enjoying my Pro-Ject with 2M Blue but I would like to try it with a different cart. Now I know there is a lot of love on these boards for all things Nagaoka for example, but I can't demo one so to buy one would be a bit of a punt. I could buy one 2nd hand I suppose but I'm a bit wary of 2nd cart carts.

I've been having a good browse the last few days and it seems that buying certain carts direct from Japan or Hong Kong can offer massive savings from buying over here, so I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying from the Far East. Am I likely to be hit with additional import duty and taxes? Anyone got some good links to sellers that they would recommend?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I bought a Jico SAS stylus recently and was hit with substantial import costs. The tax on its own was acceptable, but with the admin charge on top I wasn't happy.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
lots of different options and opinions, but how do you decide, it seems very hit and miss to me.

Its exactly that DIB.. One mans meat etc. Ok ,I've said Benz (fill in whatever else I've suggested) , are great carts. But thats to my ears within my set up , this is the crux innit. We can give a rough pointer going by what you do and dont like , but tis just that.,

Yes you are likely to get hit with import tax if you are Mr Unlucky on the day. Also be aware that if you buy from the far east I'm pretty sure that any warranties applicable become null and void via a UK dealer , ergo you will have the hassle of sending it back if you get a puppy.,

TRENDING THREADS