NAD or DENON . WHICH ONE ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Any particular reason you've narrowed it down towards those two? If you've been offered them on an unbeatable-deal basis, i'd favour the NAD 325BEE: a mellow amp with a superb midrange.

But if you're paying list price (£250) you could buy better for around the same money: Rotel's RA-04 is awesome value for money, and the Cambridge Audio Azur amps are also excellent bargains (though a tad lively - partner with care).

A

Anonymous

Just-music:

I've been looking into buying a budget-priced amp/cd combo - you can check out my thread where the good folks at WHFSV (Simon) have given great advice very recently.

The Rotel-04 is not available here in HK, and so I am going for the Cambridge 640, version 2 (subject to satisfactory demo when I get the chance) in preference to the Rotel-06.

Clare - I intend to partner this with the Cambridge 640 CD. Given your "tad lively" comment, I'd be interested to know if you'd agree with this. From what I have read in your mag (altho I cannot get the Ultimate Guide out here - grrr) it seems that this would be a good combo, and given the care Cambridge seem to take in developing their products, I have a hard time believing the 640 amp/CD combo won't match well.

Cheers.

sdp

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Cambridge pair work very well together, but just be careful you don't choose speakers that are on the bright side, or the system could be unbalanced.

Let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

Clare:

You're with us on a Sunday even - ah, devotion above and beyond the call ...

Well, I daren't tell you what I am using for speakers right now - but I'm going to - for the past few weeks I've been using some Bose "acoustimas" minitures, for asthetic reasons. They are small, and so do not dominate the room.

But assuming you don't say, yep they're just fine for the system you are proposing (CA 640A/C), what would you recommend for speakers. If there is a reasonably good set that are also "mini", then that's where I'd be more willing to push the boat out price wise. Any thoughts most welcome - just don't bag me (too much) for my current set (please!).

sdp

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You know what? I think I'm going to surprise you!

I wouldn't rush to change the speakers - you're certainly not going to find anything else as compact the Bose speakers, and if I were you I'd spend some time getting used to the improvements the better player and amp can bring, then change the speakers a while down the line.

You could consider some small inexpensive speakers to use with the new separates - I'm thinking Cambridge S30 or Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom here - but I'd be inclined to save up and spend some more on some very very good small speakers.

I'd be thinking Dynaudio Audience 42s as a really good small speaker, but then we are up to about £400 for a pair. Or the Quad 11L2s for about the same money

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm with Andrew on this one - though personally i'd look at changing those speakers sooner rather than later....(and please tell me you're using a subwoofer with them?)

Another value option, if you're dead set on mini/style speakers, is to try a pair of KEF KHT 'eggs' - not too big, great styling, and not half bad wtih music. The main, KEF 3005 set is just about to be upgraded to Special Edition format. Hopefully KEF will still sell them as pairs and as a 2.1 system as well as the full surround set.

A

Anonymous

Andrew/Clare: thanks for your thoughts. Well, I am (pleasantly) surprised, as I did buy the Bose principally due to their size (Clare - you'll be pleased to know that, yes, I am using a subwoofer with them!)

I'll check out how they sound with the new cd/amp, once they're bought, and then see where to go from there. Have to say, I like the look of the KEF KHT "eggs" on the website, although they aren't really that cheap are they (1k according to WHFSV August edition)! Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for the Special Edition format over the coming months and in the interim check them out "live" here in HK, once I find out details of the distributor/retailer here.

Thanks for all your help - I have to say this forum has been extremely helpful to me in coming to various purchasing decisions, and it really complements the magazine in this regard. Did I get the impression that it's relatively new? If so, well done, it's a great idea and, at least so far as I am concerned, is working very well.

sdp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts