NAD or Cambridge Audio?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed in the adverts for Richer Sounds in the latest mags that they are offering the NAD C515BEE CD Player, the NAD C315BEE Amp and Tannoy F1 Custom speakers for £339.95 and also the CA Azur 640Cv.2 CD Player, the CA Azur 540A v.2 Amp with the Mordaunt-Short 902i speakers for £499.95. As a beginner, am I better going for one of these offers or try putting together a mix of my own?

Any thoughts or advice as to which is the better value for money offer, or which is the better overall system? Listening tends to be eclectic, with lots of guitars and drums, from traditional metal, modern guitar bands and what my wife call "dad rock"! Our room is not huge, but is not small either.

nads

there have been a few people commenting of an imbalance in the CA amps at lowish listening levels so a listen is a must if you ar going to go for the CA's I would go for the NAD's myself.

A

Anonymous

i would go for cambridge stuff to but try for the extra £50 for the 640 amp. I have not had any balance problems with my cambridge, but i believe it only occurs ( if it occurs) at low volume ( below 9 o clock on the amp).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]i would go for cambridge stuff to but try for the extra £50 for the 640 amp. I have not had any balance problems with my cambridge, but i believe it only occurs ( if it occurs) at low volume ( below 9 o clock on the amp).[/quote]
Correct, at 9 o'clock on the amp, everything levels out. I had this problem, and the problem was that 9 o'clock on the amp was pretty loud, i.e. too loud if you live in a block of flats like I do. I guess this may depend on your setup, especially the speakers you're using. (?)

I heard the 540 paired with Cambridge's own speakers, and 9 o'clock on the amp was a lot quieter than when paired with my Eltax Monitor IIIs, although I'm not sure why this would be. Is it something to do with the speaker impedance making them easier to drive? Can anyone more technically inclined enlighten me?

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
why worry about problem save money get the nad no problems with them...........and if its your first system you will love it

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I have a Cambridge 540A V2 amp, And there is nothing wrong with the amp at low volumes. For my ears Cambridge amps dont throw out as much midrange as the NAD amps do, And the top end on the Cambridge is alittle sharper, For me the Cambridge sounds best for my ears, And its a better looking/build than the NAD.

Luke

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts