Question NAD M33 + B&W 705 s2

Maha

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
Finally I 'm ready to renew my hifi equipment. I'm charmed by the NAD M33 and now I've to decide which speakers (bookshelf speakers) to buy. At first I looked at the B&W series 700 and 800.

I prefer to 'hide' everything in a cabinet with soft doors. But the height of the interior is only 37 cm.

B&W 706 S2 is 34x20x28.5 cm (HxWxD), so it can be placed right on the shelf. No problem!
B&W 705 S2 is ca. 41x20x28.5 cm, so I have to lay both speakers on their side...
B&W 805 D3, with a height of ca 42.5 cm, has no right sides, so putting these on their sides is impossible (not done), and so I've to forget about the 805 speakers.

My question, what do you think about laying the 705 S2 speakers on their side. What will be the impact on the sound quality.
Should I take into account where the bas reflex port is situated (front vs rear).
Suggestions for other good hifi speakers that will match 'perfectly' with the NAD M33?

Thanks for any help.

D

Deleted member 160668

Good lord, I must be misunderstanding this post. You are going to buy a M33 and speakers which will be inside of a cabinet?!!! In my book that's nuts.

The speakers will reverberate the cabinet wildly and will sound very poor compared to putting them onto dedicated stands. They will not be optimally positioned in the room and frankly for the quality of amp/speakers you are looking at is absolute lunacy.

Sorry to pee on the parade, I just can't get my around it.

I'm off to buy myself a Ferrari... nah I dont need the engine, I'll remove it and put in a gerbil instead... That's pretty much what your doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maha

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
I was thinking that putting the speakers without their front cover in a cabinet but then just in front of it, against the cabinet cover itself, will not give a noticeable difference...

D

Deleted member 160668

I was thinking that putting the speakers without their front cover in a cabinet but then just in front of it, against the cabinet cover itself, will not give a noticeable difference...
No. You are missing my point. Decent speakers should be treated as intended. The word bookshelf is not really a thing. Good "bookshelf" speakers should be placed onto stands, placed correctly in the room. Putting them inside of a cabinet is a terrible plan, speakers need correct positioning, some room around them and for the amount of cash and quality you are looking at, as above you are considering putting a gerbil in your Ferrari.

If you haven't, it would be worth visiting some hifi shops and having a listen to some speakers. I can guarantee you they will absolutely not be in a cabinet of any sort.

Sorry if I sound blunt. But if you buy these and then compared them to being played from inside of cabinet vs on dedicated stands and correctly positioned in your room, you would thank me later.

Cancel that plan and look for some speakers you can live with which are visible, whether that be stand mounts or floorstanders. The difference will be enormous.

Gray

.....I'm charmed by the NAD M33.
I read a magazine review and was very charmed by the idea of an M33 too Maha (y)
Good luck to you for being charmed enough to be able to consider a £4000 product.
The fact is though that someone could pay one tenth (or less) for a streamer and have it sounding better - with well-matched, suitably positioned and supported speakers.

It's usually women that make under-the-thumb partners hide things away.
You're free to do what you like of course, but I can assure you that all on this forum would say you'd be (criminally) compromising your source, with speakers in your intended location.

Reactions: Maha

matthewpiano

Agreed. If you're going to compromise the sound so considerably, you might as well stick with an entry-level all-in-one such as the Marantz MCR-612 and some affordable small speakers that aren't too heavy on bass - something like the front -ported Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s that can be bought new for £99, though I'm afraid you won't even be getting the best of what they're capable of.

I'm the last person to put a 'downer' on anyone's hi-fi plans, but if you want to get the rewards from buying quality kit, you need to think about positioning it with care in order to hear what it's capable of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts