NAD D 3020 Amplifer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TimothyRias

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Well, I read the review and was dissapointed to read that the Rotel RA-10 still sounds better. (I know it's only the opinion of the reviewer but still....he knows what he is talking about ;)

Obviously, the Rotel must sound better,... it is British! :)

Truth be told the (possibly unconscious) bias ofWH towards British is HiFi is undeniable.

(Obviously not having heard the D3020, I am in no position to tell whether they are right in this case or not).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Rotel isn't British. They are Japanese.

Spoilsport.

Timothy was getting up a good head of steam with his 'undeniable' British bias theory.

Yes, Rotel have always been Japanese.

Even during their relationships with other companies (like Rank / Wharfedale / Leak in the 1970s and B&W more recently), neither company ever had any financial stake in Rotel. They have always been wholly owned by the same family in Japan.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I had been toying with the idea of the NAD but the more I listen to my system and the more I think about it, the less keen I am. I really do think the Denon PMA720AE and Pioneer's A30 are the under-rated gems of the affordable amplifier world.

I think, in the end, I will probably just add a decent DAC to my system and stick with the Denon as the urge to change it gets ever tinier every time I play music through it.

thats th ticket Matthew...... You have a great system already.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
I had been toying with the idea of the NAD but the more I listen to my system and the more I think about it, the less keen I am. I really do think the Denon PMA720AE and Pioneer's A30 are the under-rated gems of the affordable amplifier world.

I think, in the end, I will probably just add a decent DAC to my system and stick with the Denon as the urge to change it gets ever tinier every time I play music through it.

Yes, remember the 1500s you had. Don't make the same Denon mistake twice Matthew!!

matthewpiano

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:

Yes, remember the 1500s you had. Don't make the same Denon mistake twice Matthew!!

No I won't RS. I've been listening with my headphones more again recently and the Denon even has a very decent headphone output too.

Long term I would like the 1520s, certainly the amp, so I might try to save up for those, but I'm convinced the Denon sound is for me.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
matthewpiano said:

Spoilsport.

Timothy was getting up a good head of steam with his 'undeniable' British bias theory.

Even during their relationships with other companies (like Rank / Wharfedale / Leak in the 1970s and B&W more recently), neither company ever had any financial stake in Rotel. They have always been wholly owned by the same family in Japan.

Missing the point methinks. It is not only who owns a company but also where the designing is done and who influences that...now Rotel has a much more non-Japanese influence...methinks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Baldrick1 said:
chebby said:
matthewpiano said:

Spoilsport.

Missing the point methinks. It is not only who owns a company but also where the designing is done and who influences that...now Rotel has a much more non-Japanese influence...methinks

In which case the 'influences' come from Tokyo, South Korea and London. (Their three R&D offices.)

So if you want to give one of their three R&D offices precedence over Japanese ownership, Chinese (Hong Kong) manufacture and the other two far-eastern R&D centres then yeah, it's British as Fish & Chips! (Which also originated from almost everywhere than Britain.)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Baldrick1 said:

In which case the 'influences' come from Tokyo, South Korea and London. (Their three R&D offices.)

So if you want to give one of their three R&D offices precedence over Japanese ownership, Chinese (Hong Kong) manufacture and the other two far-eastern R&D centres then yeah, it's British as Fish & Chips! (Which also originated from almost everywhere than Britain.)

Youthinks? ;)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Cypher said:
What I find a bit strange ;

if you read the first review (http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/20986/Review-NAD-D-3020-Hybrid-Digital-Amplifier) you think the D3020 is the best thing since sliced bread.

The what hifi review is not that positive..........they think it's great, but not that great.

It's almost if they do not review the same product :?

...and there lies your answer: use reviews as a guideline, then let your own ears make the final choice.

Hifi is subjective- different strokes for different folks. WHF have always said that, as has just about every other mag review ever. Different reviewers will form different opinions...

manicm

WHF gave it 5 stars, as the new Marantx 610. Both were noted for sounding a bit soft. I think the rating reflects the overall value - and WHF didn't think they sounded bad by any stretch, but just manage expectations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts