Nad c542 vs Marantz CD6003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As the title suggests. Nad c542 vs Marantz CD6003 Regardless of price which would you chose and why>?
Thanks for the opinions and help. Regards,
Matt

T

the record spot

Both companies make some great products; I've had my SA7001-KI for a couple of years now and it's pretty special at what it does. Not sure how the CD6003 stacks up, but I haven't read a bad review of it yet.

The 542 enjoyed similar reviews, and NAD is of course famous for its wallet friendly gear (as well as the higher end stuff that's less trumpeted). Comes down to your preference over the two philosophies ultimately.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
In agreement with the above post really.

They're both very good CDP's (if it were the similar amps I think you'd be in for a bigger range of opinions).

I think really (if you can) demo both side by side with the same amp and speakers and that'll give you an idea of whcih you prefer

A

Anonymous

Would anyone suggest one is brighter than the other>?

Ye can't demo unfortunately its a case of buy S/H the 542 or get a new 6003 - i guess get the new really but just thought that there might be some compelling reasons for the Nad.

Another alternative: Musical Fidelity A2 CD ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I had a NAD C542 and my daughter still has my 17 year old previous NAD CDP. Only problem I've ever had is with display.

Sound is warmish but good dynamics for the price. Great for rock music less so for classical but it depends what you are matching it with!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO I'd be going for the new Marantz then.

The NAD CDP is very good indeed but it has been bettered by the NAD C545BEE CDP which I think is now similarly priced to the Marantz so maybe take a look at that as well.

It is a superb CDP.

A decent 2nd hand Arcam CD72 or CD73 would be well worth loking at as maybe a 2nd hand Rega Apollo (but not sure what your budget is).

A

Anonymous

I have the C565 and it's simply superb... partnered with Nad c352 and B&W 683, it sounds wonderful!

For me,It deserve great system, much better than mine, really.

Soundstage, detail,dinamic and "air" are really stunning.

And has a digital optical input too... :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
No idea how I ended up in this post, but anyway here's my tuppenyworth.

Detail, seperation, imaging on the Marantz - awesome; everything just picked out beautifully.

Each to their own preference but I find the music to "hidden" with NAD gear. Replacement amp and speakers on the way shortly and can't wait to make the most of it.

A

Anonymous

im buying a cdp on friday , i may yet also get a dac for some downloaded stuff , my choice is either a marantz cd6003 or nad c545bee , i will of course audition , but heres what im thinking now.

my br5s can sound quite bassy , which i like , and my nad amp c326bee is apparently quite bassy too , so im thinking the marantz apparent liking for detail and clarity , and its supposed slightly brighter characteristics may be a nice match ? im guessing the more warmer , bassier nad may bring a little too much bass to the already bassy party , any views on this folks ??

A

Anonymous

The nad. Superb cpd. I had an Arcam cd73 and I feel the nad was better.Punchier and harder hitting bass than the Arcam but very similar in other respects. maxflinn, I dont think the nad cd player is warm in the bass. It is quite punchy and of course nad cd players are designed to go with nad amps.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
im buying a cdp on friday , i may yet also get a dac for some downloaded stuff , my choice is either a marantz cd6003 or nad c545bee , i will of course audition , but heres what im thinking now.

my br5s can sound quite bassy , which i like , and my nad amp c326bee is apparently quite bassy too , so im thinking the marantz apparent liking for detail and clarity , and its supposed slightly brighter characteristics may be a nice match ? im guessing the more warmer , bassier nad may bring a little too much bass to the already bassy party , any views on this folks ??

See how the demo goes Max
emotion-5.gif

I know where you're coming from re the bass levels with NAD so the Marantz may be the cure for you BUT the NAD C545BEE to me is a lot more detailed so a good demo with a wide range of music is needed IMO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts