NAD C542/320BEE deserves better than Mission M71 bookshelves?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, being asking questions regarding my Hifi setups.

NAD C542/320BEE is my secondary system. I am currently keeping them in my bedroom (12x14 feets). Interconnect is QED Qunex 3. Speaker cables are QED standard Biwire. Speakers is a pair of Mission M71 on speaker stand. I have to put speakers quite close to walls due to space constrain & have to turn down bass & use foam bung for the exuberant bass.

I wonder the NADs deserve better than the Missions? Any suggestions? Ideally under GBP 200. Available here in NZ are Wharfedale 9.1, 10.1, B&W 686(maybe above budget), second hand KEF IQ5SE, ?Monitor Audio BR2, Q Accoustic Ranges, Energy speakers, ?Tannoy budget line & newer Missions like M31.

I don't want to do sideway upgrade, hopefully something much better than the Missions & more suited to the NAD. I can then sell the Missions off or use on my Sony micro system.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Hi kingwei,

The C320BEE is a terrific amp and will work well with speakers costing much more than those you mention. I'd make do with the Missions until you could get something like the Totem Dreamcatchers. You might be able to pick them up second hand at a decent price.

T

the record spot

If you're looking at secondhand, then add Mission's 751 standmount. Expect to pay around £100 or so for a pair in near mint condition, but it'll reward you with a fast, open and very musical sound. Good bass too. Had my pair in the early 90s and loved them and I think they'd work well with your electronics. They retailed for £300 originally and were part of the superb Mission 75 series.

A

Anonymous

I saw a pair of Mission 760 going cheap ? it is good?

A

Anonymous

Then you'd want to audition carefully in your system. My guess is they'll sound totally different to the old ones.

matthewpiano

Mission's real glory period was the early 90s with speakers like the original 760s, 760i, 760i SE, 751, 752, 753, 780 etc. Their more recent efforts haven't been that well received.

However, that doesn't mean they aren't any good. As Tarquinh suggests, a careful audition would be the best way to proceed.

A

Anonymous

I heard that the original people at Mission are gone now? Maybe I should stay off it. Can't audition them.

T

the record spot

In which case, you could do worse than seek out Q Acoustics range. I understand from a Glasgow dealer that one of the guys at Mission moved over and was instrumental in forming Q, given the quality of their product, the signs are good. If I was hunting down some new speakers (and that's a possibility now) I'd be shortlisting their 1050i or 2050 floorstander.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts