NAD C368

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
HifiNews&RR June 17, page 68 to 71.

'Smashes it's power output' (PM lab report). 130w continuous 8ohm, 140/280/510w into 8/4/2 dynamic with current limiter at 1ohm 49w.

'Remarkable level of performance for the money. Budget Esoterica'. Review by AE.

84% Score

My guess is its warmer sounding than the WHF recommended Rega but perhaps a better long term bet. No listening fatigue and more balanced perhaps? More load tolerant too.

I don't like the display but perhaps it's dimmable or one can turn it off but I do like that NAD stayed true to their iconic looks otherwise.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Good value for money, or so it seems judging by specs, features and that review (at HFN they take measurements).

Never heard a class D amp to be honest. Do they all have some kind of signal processing?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Pedro said:
Good value for money, or so it seems judging by specs, features and that review (at HFN they take measurements).

Never heard a class D amp to be honest. Do they all have some kind of signal processing?

Hypex have their own take and NAD further implemented their own tweaks.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Implementation is really good. I have a bluesound powernode, which is basically a NAD design. It only has 25W per channel at 8 ohms. But drives my 90db floor standers very well. I do however suspect that it might not have enough damping. As at times I find the bass to be a bit undefined. But not bloaty. The background is really silent, and it is really rythmic. In fact between the marantz SR6011 and powernode, I prefer the powernode for stereo listening. That in my opinion is commendable enough for something so puny. And did I mention that it doesn't heat up at all.

The power node was a hybrid direct digital design, whatever that means. The C368 is a newer design, and is fully digital end to end. So could be much better than the powernode. When I was considering my amp upgrade, I didn't go for a NAD , only because the powernode is a keeper, and I plan on using it with high efficiency book shelves in my bedroom for that crystal clear class D sound at low volumes in my bedroom. And wanted to see how a class A/B design sounded. But nothing against the NAD per se. The whathifi review commented that the NAD was a touch safe. Though I always felt the powernode was Pacey and rythmic as compared to the marantz and Sony amps I have.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I like amps that are well made, easily servicable and long lasting, so always hard pass on NAD, including this one or the M32.

No doubt it measures well and sounds good.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
is supposed to be of a superior build and finish, as compared to the classic series. When NAD launched the C390D a few years back, some reviewers​ qouted it to have the blackest background ever. So wonder if they have taken that silence to a whole new level with the M32, coupled with a superior build. But I do not know anything about hypex modules, so can't comment on longetivity and serviceability :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
is supposed to be of a superior build and finish, as compared to the classic series. When NAD launched the C390D a few years back, some reviewers​ qouted it to have the blackest background ever. So wonder if they have taken that silence to a whole new level with the M32, coupled with a superior build. But I do not know anything about hypex modules, so can't comment on longetivity and serviceability :)

I won't drag NAD through the mud again. I've done it so many times and it just makes owners mad/bitter. Not everyone cares about longevity as long as it sounds great and measures great. Those in the know, know what I mean.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

I won't drag NAD through the mud again. I've done it so many times and it just makes owners mad/bitter. Not everyone cares about longevity as long as it sounds great and measures great. Those in the know, know what I mean.

Different topology to older NAD'S.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

Different topology to older NAD'S.

I think vlad is talking about how they put those nads together, not so much the amp design. I may be wrong

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
quiet.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I never really followed the brand so can't comment on reliability.

My guess is though that they couldn't build continuously unreliable products and still be in business after all those decades?

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
I never really followed the brand so can't comment on reliability.

My guess is though that they couldn't build continuously unreliable products and still be in business after all those decades?

The only NAD product I owned was a C515BEE CD player. It did the job for around 7 or 8 years without any problems. The thing played CDRWs and MP3s which was neat when I bought it (and it was very affordable).

A friend of mine has an integrated amp for some 15 years without issues as well but some people complain about NAD's reliability. Some people, well..many people indeed.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Any opinions on the C338? It does not have the modular design but comes with built-in Chromecast en Spotify Connect. I like the total feature set, specs and build. 50Watts is all I need for my bookshelves. I used to own a 326bee but it was never able to impress me and was later overshadowed by my Pioneer a-30. That is what's holding me back a little. Dont know if thats fair since the 326 is a class a/b while the 338 is class D. Don't think they will sound that similar.

TempWhatHifiName121

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I tried it out and found it lacking in energy and insight. Also had a C320 that I never liked as well, but the sound was similar. The D3020 is different altogether though (oddly) and so worth a try if you have a small room.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Just goes to show the importance of a good audition of any equipment.

All amps sounding the same? - it doesn't appear to be so. The hifi mag review praised it as an outstanding product. Just goes to show. - It's selling with a seven year warranty.

tonky

Gray

I owned an original 3020 amp for ages - never a problem. Eventually sold it for close to what I originally paid.

Also, connected a pensioner's new TV to an original 3020 for him. He told me he'd used the amp almost daily for around 38 years. I think he's since died, but I'd bet that the amp has not.

Reactions: Bromiley

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I know there were a few reported issues with the 315 and the bulbs burning out. Can't say I was ever aware of a lot of problems with NAD.

Problem is it only needs a few folks on a forum reporting issues and the whole thing can be blown out of proportion.

Nad probably has sold considerable numbers over the years. A few issues are normal.

Cyrus .... servo drive cd players, Rega ... humming transformers etc.

Reactions: Bromiley

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Everytime you poop on NADs new amps someone who had an old NAD or had a friend who had a friend who had an old NAD has to be gallant and rescue the trailortrash princess in distress.

Old NADs at least had Rubycon or Elna caps, RCA TO-3 transistors, good lead solder and were very simple by design. Although they were terrible build quality by standards then, it's better than what came after. NADs cheap and cheerful philosophy was We save money on the case to give you semi-decent innards for the lowest price in hifi. These days casework looks semi-decent while innards are bottom of the bin Chinese components and quality control is frequently reported as very bad. 90's and early 00's NAD is the worst, especially because of the cold solder joints and dead caps.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
No idea about the newer NAD gear but I think the old gear is fairly reliable - have a 3020A still working in family. The main probem is the lack of dealers - sevenoaks only?- really good length warranty - longer than most. NAD C368 looks good

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
Any opinions on the C338? It does not have the modular design but comes with built-in Chromecast en Spotify Connect. I like the total feature set, specs and build. 50Watts is all I need for my bookshelves. I used to own a 326bee but it was never able to impress me and was later overshadowed by my Pioneer a-30. That is what's holding me back a little. Dont know if thats fair since the 326 is a class a/b while the 338 is class D. Don't think they will sound that similar.

Glad I went for the Pioneer A30 instead of the NAD C326Bee in the end - A30 very nice budget amp. I'd definitely be looking at the Pioneer A50DA or A70DA if I wanted the extra digital inputs and an upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts