NAD C356 shrill highs and too bright?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have heard the maramtz pearl lite amp and cdp with my speakers, MA RX 6 and with my music, most metal and pop, it didn't sound good. It has no punch, no drive and no attack. I'm thinking now to go for NAD but i read here that the c356 sounds shrill and bright. I don't like bright sound.

Now i'm thinking to take the marantz lite amp with the NAD c546 cdp for the drive and attack. What do you think?

matthewpiano

Brightness isn't something I associate with any NAD amp and I've had more than my fair share. I would say, however, that the C326BEE is widely considered to be the nicer all-round amp than the C356BEE so it may be worth trying to audition both to see what you think. I had a good listening session this afternoon and I was rewarded with a punchy, detailed and involving sound - open but never bright, and not at all tiring in any way.

Rather than mixing a NAD CD player with a Marantz amp I'd suggest trying it the other way round - a Marantz CD player with a NAD amp. I would suggest trying to demo a CD6004 with a NAD C326BEE and a NAD C356BEE to see if either works for you. I think you would be pleasantly surprised and may end up spending less than anticipated.

If you do want to go a bit further up the hi-fi tree I'd suggest trying Arcam, which works beautifully with MA. See if you can audition an A18 and/or an A28 to see if it is worth the extra spend for you.

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issues with Marantz PM7004 amp and cd6003 with RX1 speakers. Personally i dont think the Nad cdp is the solution with the RX6.

What i found out by accident was when i changed my RX1 with my old wharfedales 10.1 and I much perfered the sound.

So my suggestion is to try some speakers that dont have metal dome tweeters.

A

Anonymous

No offence, but most metal records ive listened to were sounding too bright and shrill.

The more highend you go, the better your hear if your recordings are good or poor.

It is something you need to consider before swapping your gear.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
What cables are you using?

I used to use Kimber Silver Streak interconnects and QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire speaker cable. As the names suggest these used silver cabling (silver coated copper in the case of the QED), and I too had a too bright sound.

I switched to Atlas cables and the sound is much more natural but never dull..... Highly recommended by a fellow metal-head.:) :rockout:

A

Anonymous

Hm; here in Holland there are dealers who stopped selling NAD. The reason: too much problems with NAD.

A

Anonymous

obiwan kenobi said:
Hm; here in Holland there are dealers who stopped selling NAD. The reason: too much problems with NAD.

Wat voor problemen waren dat? Dat wist ik niet, alhoewel ik zelf nu ook niet meer in Nederland woon :)

A

Anonymous

Big Chris said:
What cables are you using?

I used to use Kimber Silver Streak interconnects and QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire speaker cable. As the names suggest these used silver cabling (silver coated copper in the case of the QED), and I too had a too bright sound.

I switched to Atlas cables and the sound is much more natural but never dull..... Highly recommended by a fellow metal-head.:) :rockout:

Often read this, but it is based on a big misunderstanding'; Silver doesn't sound bright itself. It is the poor quality of the silver (alloys) that can give you the (too) bright sound.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You may well be right, but the Kimber Silver Streak uses pure silver for its conductor, not an alloy or silver coated copper, and I still noticed an improvement when I bought my Titans.

Perhaps it's just a trait of Kimber cables, but I'd still recommend Atlas to anyone trying to tame their top end.

A

Anonymous

Ocean37 said:
obiwan kenobi said:

Wat voor problemen waren dat? Dat wist ik niet, alhoewel ik zelf nu ook niet meer in Nederland woon :)

Hollanders kom je ook overal tegen..... :wave:

NAD zou vergeleken met andere merken bovenmatig veel uitval kennen. Of zoals een dealer hier zei: "Ze komen als postduiven terug".

A

Anonymous

obiwan kenobi said:
Ocean37 said:
obiwan kenobi said:

Hollanders kom je ook overal tegen..... :wave:

NAD zou vergeleken met andere merken bovenmatig veel uitval kennen. Of zoals een dealer hier zei: "Ze komen als postduiven terug".

Haha :cheers:

A

Anonymous

With a google translate....

NAD was compared with other brands excessively high dropout know. Or as a dealer here said: "They are like homing pigeons back".

T

the record spot

Ocean37 said:

When I get back in the door in about seven hours time, I'll be writing like this too! :beer: :) :rockout:

A

Anonymous

Big Chris said:
You may well be right, but the Kimber Silver Streak uses pure silver for its conductor, not an alloy or silver coated copper, and I still noticed an improvement when I bought my Titans.

Perhaps it's just a trait of Kimber cables, but I'd still recommend Atlas to anyone trying to tame their top end.

It is mostly the combination of the components. The Kimber probably sounds different in another setup...

But in contrast with popular belief there is not a big difference between the metals themselves. It comes from the production, and the impurities left in the conductors.

A

Anonymous

The dealer advise a NAD C326Bee, NAD C546 (there isn't a C545 more) with the MA RX 6 speakers. The amp has enough power for the speakers and so he said many listerners found the C326 Bee sounded better than the C356BEE.

He also find for my music no Marantz. Marantz and electronic music or metal not so good combination.

A

Anonymous

Anyone knows about the combination Denon - MA RX 6? In the past i love Denon, but dont know how sounds Denon now. I saw they have bring out a new 720 amp and cdp. Or the 1510 amp with 720 cdp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts