NAD C356 or Cambridge cxa60 for the same price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:
Here in Holland second Sunday of the month.

I must say the Cambridge cxa60 sound very good, maybe a better sound than the NAD c356 but too bright.

Maybe try a valve amp. I never heard it. A unison simple italy OR cayin kt88 valve amp.

Some Valve amplifiers sound bright. KT88's have a bit more power than EL34's but loose some of the smoothness if I remember correctly, its been a long time.

I think you are on the right road with the NAD, not least because it has tone controls, which, in your case, may come in handy.

Perhaps you can stretch to something like a Naim Nait, one of the latest models. They sound relatively dark and smooth. It will not take your ears off.

Good luck with your search.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes, think so. Valve can be nice but also expensive. My first choice was the new NAD c368. But the sound was disappointed. Despits it's 80 watt no power. And so ended it with the old c356. A new one with 5 year warranty now for 559 Euro.

gasolin

peterpan said:
Yes, think so. Valve can be nice but also expensive. My first choice was the new NAD c368. But the sound was disappointed. Despits it's 80 watt no power. And so ended it with the old c356. A new one with 5 year warranty now for 559 Euro.

You must not forget an amp doesn't sound really loud until the amp reaches it's limited where it distorts,until them it's just clean and loud.

And not to forget the Q Acoustics has a sensitivity of 92 db and 6 ohm which mean up to about 180 watt in 6 ohm and in theory above 112 db (180watt is about 22db)

gasolin

I guees you didn't try the nad amp with then Q Acoustics that has a higher sensitivity then most speakers to hear if there was enough power or for that matter the tannoy's

The nad amps always seems to me they have alot of power even the small Nad C316BEE had alot of power

gasolin said:
peterpan said:

You must not forget an amp doesn't sound really loud until the amp reaches it's limited where it distorts,until them it's just clean and loud.

And not to forget the Q Acoustics has a sensitivity of 92 db and 6 ohm which mean up to about 180 watt in 6 ohm and in theory above 112 db (180watt is about 22db)

The issue you have is you want punch/slam with warmth. Very little exists if you have a limited budget.

Perhaps Icon valve amps might be the answer, but as with anything the gains will be hit by losses.

Hi-fi, whatever route you choose to take, is a compromise.

Personally speaking, in your situation, I would look at a s/hand Nad 370: Lots of power/punch/LF, but the trade-off is you'll lose a little transparency and openness which is essential when it comes to a balanced presentation.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
No. Never Dynaudio. Don' t like them. PP has right. I'am looking for punch/slam with a warm sound. And yes, It Will be a compromise. The NAD c356 has that, but you will hear less details.

gasolin

peterpan said:
What about these Valve amp? Someone heard it? How compare with the cheaper NAD C356 for rock and metal?

http://www.highendshop.nl/buizenversterkers/cayin-a-88t-mkii-selection

That's alot more expensive than a Nad C356BEE
wink_smile.gif

The nad has preout so you can later ad a more punchy power amp, buy one use and mabye upgrade power mains

The marantz PM8005 i have also have preout and it has a phonostage if you need that, it's 2x70 watt in 8 ohm (not shure if it's rms) and should be enought, an amp that has alot of watt doesn't mean it's punchy

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I saw a secondhand Cayin A-88 T for 1000,-- Euro. Also a secondhand Unison Simple Italy from 2014 for 1000,-- Euro. The new NAD C356 for 559,--.

Which will be the nicest with metal and rock?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:
I saw a secondhand Cayin A-88 T for 1000,-- Euro. Also a secondhand Unison Simple Italy from 2014 for 1000,-- Euro. The new NAD C356 for 559,--.

You will be going round forever.

The Unison Research has a bit of wood in it. That'll go nicely with metal and rock imho.

insider9

drummerman said:
peterpan said:

You will be going round forever.

The Unison Research has a bit of wood in it. That'll go nicely with metal and rock imho.

Wasn't that rock, paper, scissors. Not wood, metal, rock :biggrin:

If I were you, OP, I'd already be listening to my new Unison Research amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts