NAD C356 or Cambridge cxa60 for the same price

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I can buy a new NAD C356 (the latest models now there is the C368) for 560,-- Euro. Also a new Cambridge cxa60 for the same price. Which amp sound better with rock and (symphonic)metal? Speakers will be Tannoy xt6f or Q acoustics 3050.

insider9

It would be best if you could demo both. Anyone on here can only tell you what they'd enjoy. Absolutely no guarantee you'd feel the same.

Saying that Tannoy/CA combined may sound bright. I had my DC6T with NAD and it was a very good pairing.

Cambridge Audio amp perhaps is the better of the two but would not be best to pair it would Tannoy. I've not heard the QA 3050 buy didn't like their standmounts.

Samd

peterpan said:
I can buy a new NAD C356 (the latest models now there is the C368) for 560,-- Euro. Also a new Cambridge cxa60 for the same price. Which amp sound better with rock and (symphonic)metal? Speakers will be Tannoy xt6f or Q acoustics 3050.

I have the CXA80 and the 3050s and am extremely pleased with the combination but we have different tastes in music!

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I do not have the expertise that many here on this forum have, but I do have a NAD c356bee that I thoroughly enjoy. To me it produces a fuller (and impressive) sound at normal volume levels and above, not so much when played quietly (just above whisper levels). To my ears, it is tonally rich rather than lean.

However, this is how I interpret the sound, so you should demo them both to decide for yourself.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree. Heard today the new NAD C368. Disappointed. It sound as if it has no power and very boring. The Cambridge sound better, enthoussiaster, but too bright with my music. I like good bass and a warm full bodied sound. I will go for the NAD C356.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The dealer said a valve amp are also possible. But a valve amp with rock and metal and then with Tannoy or Q acoustics? I need good bass. I saw a second hand Unison simple italy from 2014 for 1000,-- Euro. What do you think?

gasolin

peterpan said:
The dealer said a valve amp are also possible. But a valve amp with rock and metal and then with Tannoy or Q acoustics? I need good bass. I saw a second hand Unison simple italy from 2014 for 1000,-- Euro. What do you think?

Then you might consider listening to the Mission LX floorstand speakers, since i find for a budget speaker my Mission LX-2's have better bass then Q Acoustics 3020, mabye class leading bass

Problem is both Nad and Cambridge have polar opposite tonal differences. Although I can't directly comment on the new Cambridge range they were very open - some would describe them as bright - whereas the Nad 356 is warmer and quite bass-reliant.

It'll boil down, I would guess, to which presentation you prefer.

Samd

plastic penguin said:
Problem is both Nad and Cambridge have polar opposite tonal differences. Although I can't directly comment on the new Cambridge range they were very open - some would describe them as bright - whereas the Nad 356 is warmer and quite bass-reliant.

...but he is talking about the new Cam range which are certainly not 'very open'!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Samd said:
plastic penguin said:

...but he is talking about the new Cam range which are certainly not 'very open'!

The new Hifi Choice has an amp shoot out. The Cambridge CXA80 does well but doesn't 'win'.

gasolin

peterpan said:
Which amps are tested? Have you the results?

*music2* Arcam, Audiolab, Cambridge, Cyrus, Naim and Rega

hfc_420_cover_twitter.jpg

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
All good amps, but with my music and taste i think the NAD C356 is the best for me. The new NAD c368 wasn't.

I saw a second hand Musical Fidelity m3si, but i read the bass of the MF is not so good. Also the NAD C356.

The guy who sell the valva amp unison simple italy are not in my area. Otherwise i would hear it. I never heard a valva amp, but all the dealers said with my music no valve amp.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
The HiFi choice review: "Also great value, the plushly appointed Cambridge CXA80 delivers a tangible, muscular performance
and top-drawer clarity, rivalling the Naim Nait 5si for being able to project a physical, in-the-room presence with a sense of 3D
solidity. The CXA80’s desirability is further bolstered by its classy, modern design and fine build quality." For its price, it is great. The NAD has a different presentation than Cambridge. But it is important that the CXA60 sounds different to the CXA80. The latter is in a different league. If you want to buy the NAD, buy it used, it is quite cheap. If you don't like the sound, you can sell it for the same price, and you can try something better. (like the Cambridge *biggrin* )

Samd said:
plastic penguin said:

Maybe they are, maybe not.

With the greatest respect to the OP, he has had trouble finding the right combo - most set-ups for him has always been too bright. Or a presentation that's tricky to live with on a day-to-day basis.

Given he likes the Nad presentation I wouldn't encourage him to change unless the Cambridge can match the warmth of the Nad. But only the OP will know for sure. The only way that can be done is with a thorough dem, preferably at home.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
You are right PP. I have now from a dealer the Cambridge cxa60 at home. Dealer find it has a better balance than the cxa80. It looks good but the sound are too bright and shrill for me. It sound not so good with rock and metal. I miss the slam

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:
You are right PP. I have now from a dealer the Cambridge cxa60 at home. Dealer find it has a better balance than the cxa80. It looks good but the sound are too bright and shrill for me. It sound not so good with rock and metal. I miss the slam

Your Hifi Dealers are open on a Sunday? Wow :)

gasolin

drummerman said:
peterpan said:

Some hifi dealers where i live in denmark are open 1 sunday every month like the first or last or just a handfull of sundays and some few are open every sunday

gasolin said:
drummerman said:
peterpan said:

Some hifi dealers where i live in denmark are open 1 sunday every month like the first or last or just a handfull of sundays and some few are open every sunday

Very sensible for the working man with young family, who always have things to do on Saturdays. Sunday is about the only free day ie have.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Here in Holland second Sunday of the month.

I must say the Cambridge cxa60 sound very good, maybe a better sound than the NAD c356 but too bright.

Maybe try a valve amp. I never heard it. A unison simple italy OR cayin kt88 valve amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts