Nad C345 BEE which amplifier.....?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Just bought the Nad C345BEE cd player, I almost bought the 326BEE amp at the same time but whilst looking around for the best price came across a few alternatives, Richer Sounds have the CA 740 A for just under £550 is it worth the extra money and will the Nad cd player benefit from the extra spend...also saw a decent priced Rega Brio and the new Audiolab 8000 amp in this same price range.....or is the Nad amp the perfect partner. Using MS Mezzo 6 floorstander speakers.....

So many choices.......

SteveR750

FWIW in my experience the NAD CD players and amps compliment each otherv ery well indeed, at least the 352 / 542 did anyway. I have wondered a few times if the Kandy K2 CD and amp would be a *better* system that the CD6SE and Kandy K2 amp that I have got....

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree. System synergy is key to great sound. I have the C545 that you just purchased and the sound is terrific, but it is quite attacking and forward. My nad amp has a warm fat sound that is the perfect compliment to the up front sound of the CD player. They balance each other nicely. I recommend the NAD for that reason.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

Sorry ...a little confused. Are you guys talking about NAD C545 (http://nadelectronics.com/products/cd-players/C-545BEE-CD-Player), or 345? Seems to be that the 3xx are Amplifier, while the 5XX are CD players.
emotion-1.gif

I am a similar question (posted elsewhere). I bought the NAD 355 Amplifier yesterday, and wondering if I should buy NAD 545/565 CD player, or should I go with Cambridge Audio 640/740. Not sure if I want a pure Canadian sound.

I like warm vocal, but don't want the sound to be muddy. What is your opinion? Thanks!

matthewpiano

Firstly, the most important synergy in a system is that between the amp and speakers and I strongly urge you to pay most attention to this. IMO, the best path to successful system building is to start with the speakers and to then choose the electronics that (within your budget) give the speakers as much of what they need as possible.

The NAD amp won't be ideal for the Mezzos. They are very revealing speakers. The 740A is well worth the extra. Its a much better amp than the NADs with more clarity and a real sense of ease whatever you play through it. It never sounds strained or out of control and the 100wpc output and large toroidal transformer give it plenty of dynamic headroom.

The NADs are superb budget amps, but the Cambridge is the most affordable way into high-end sound and works brilliantly with the Mezzo range.

NAD amp + Mezzos is not a very good match IMO. The Mezzos are very revealing speakers and their low distortion, accurate sound is much better served by an amp with similar characteristics. The NAD amps are more coloured in sound and work better with B&W 6 series speakers.

The Rega Brio 3 is an excellent little amp but its tendency towards becoming strident when the music gets complicated puts it well behind the 740A.

The Audiolab is also very good and is probably the best of the bunch after the 740A but it doesn't quite have the airiness and sense of ease that the Cambridge does.

Whichever way you go, some auditioning is vital. Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

I'd stick with NAD. I've heard the Mezzo 2s through NAD amplification and they sounded fine to me. Never been too sure about CA, which have always sounded a touch thin for my tastes, but it's been a while since I've heard them. Also consider the NAIT 5i, if you can run to it, which is better than the other amps mentioned.

wow_music, try also the Rega Apollo. It's an excellent player and will see you through a couple of upgrades.ÿ

Best to audition anyway, as the others have said.ÿ

SteveR750

matthewpiano:Firstly, the most important synergy in a system is that between the amp and speakers and I strongly urge you to pay most attention to this. IMO, the best path to successful system building is to start with the speakers and to then choose the electronics that (within your budget) give the speakers as much of what they need as possible.

The NAD amp won't be ideal for the Mezzos. They are very revealing speakers. The 740A is well worth the extra. Its a much better amp than the NADs with more clarity and a real sense of ease whatever you play through it. It never sounds strained or out of control and the 100wpc output and large toroidal transformer give it plenty of dynamic headroom.

The NADs are superb budget amps, but the Cambridge is the most affordable way into high-end sound and works brilliantly with the Mezzo range.

NAD amp + Mezzos is not a very good match IMO. The Mezzos are very revealing speakers and their low distortion, accurate sound is much better served by an amp with similar characteristics. The NAD amps are more coloured in sound and work better with B&W 6 series speakers.

The Rega Brio 3 is an excellent little amp but its tendency towards becoming strident when the music gets complicated puts it well behind the 740A.

The Audiolab is also very good and is probably the best of the bunch after the 740A but it doesn't quite have the airiness and sense of ease that the Cambridge does.

Whichever way you go, some auditioning is vital. Let us know how you get on.

I normally agre with most of your comments Matthew, but I have to disagree with this! A different presentation than CA yes of course, I might argue to my ears that CA stuff is way too light and weedy, but that does not make it "coloured" (and therefore by inference inaccurate)!.

Ultimately, we are making subective comments about a very subjective issue (music), so the best way as ever is toi listen oneself, maybe using coments and reviews from others as a guide only.

matthewpiano

To qualify what I said, I think the C355BEE is much more neutral than the cheaper NAD amps. The C325BEE and C326BEE ARE (IMO) more coloured/less accurate, but that is why they sound so stunning in entry level systems. They start to fall down when partnered with more expensive speakers in a way that the CA amps, and the C355BEE, don't.

I agree that CA amps can sound too light for some listeners. It is a very clean and neutral sound, particularly once you get up to the 740A, although I've never found them to be lacking inthe bass department.

At the end of the day, I'm a fan of both brands.

However, I agree entirely that this is all totally subjective and that the only way to be absolutely sure is to do some proper auditioning.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys firstly sorry about the opening error....yes it is the C 545 BEE cd player, currently I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver so I will use the preouts on the fronts to connect via the receiver to the new stereo amp which obviously will have to better the Yam in stereo....I have ruled out the 326 NAD as I just can't see a 50w per channel amp challenging the 130w receiver, I think I will definitely have to spend more to get any audible improvement....

Seriously considering the new Roksan Kandy K2 or the CA 840A now as I don't wish to upgrade (for a couple of years anyway) after this.... are there any other contenders I should be looking at in this price bracket £700 - £800 as said Mezzo 6 speakers NAD C545 BEE cd player and also LINN AXIS turntable.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts