NAD C315BEE VS. Cambridge 340A SE (please vote)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nowhere as of yet...but give it less than a week and our new-look site, complete with 1000+ reviews (including tech-specs) will be here for your perusal...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mikey B"]

[quote user="fr0g"]NAD. I honestly prefer the cheaper Cambridge A5 to the 340.[/quote]

Interesting! I know that the A5 has 60 watts per channel and the 340 slightly less, but I had always assumed that since the 340 was the more expensive it would sound better, but from Fr0gs comments perhaps this is not so. There are always lots and lots of A5 amps knocking around ebay for £30 - £40.

[/quote]

I bought an A5 on the back of popularity, great reviews and wide availability - bitterly dissapointed. Weak and limp wristed. I've never heard 60wpc sound so... quiet! Sold.

A

Anonymous

Nad 320BEE is a very good amp but does not have a phono stage for your Technics deck

matthewpiano

My vote would be NAD every time. Very musical and punchy. NAD amps seem to have consistently good headphone stages as well. Before the Arcam I had (and actually still have tucked away) a C325BEE which I've used a lot with my Sennheiser HD595 headphones and it sounds stunning. I'd actually say the NAD's headphone stage is considerably better than the Arcam's to the point where I'm considering keeping the NAD connected to the second output of my CD73 for headphone listening.
One other point - Cambridge amps seem to have a balance/tracking issue at lower volume levels. If you do lots of lower level listening I'd be careful.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if my floor standing speakers would work with NAD 315BEE

I have used a Wharfedale kit to build my own speaker set with the following configuration:

Woofer = 12" - Magnet 11,500 oersteds

Bass resonance approx 17 Hz

mid range = 5" mid range unit: Magnet 12000 oersted

Tweeter = 1" treble range unit: Magnet 12000 oersteds

Moving cone mass 0.2 of a gram

Cross over frequencies 450 HZ and 3000HZ

Power handling capacity 35 watt rms

Impedence: Suitable for amp having an impedence between 4-8 ohms

freq range : depends on cabinet size and construction but generally no owrse than 40 Hz - 20000hz.

I have a very large wood cabinet (more than 4 feet in height)

I have heard that if the amp does not feed enough power to the speaker, clipping occurs causing the speakers to go bad. I am worried if that would happen in my case.

I have a small room and I am not looking for window shattering volume.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts