NAD amp loud buzzing...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just a bit of advice if possible. My NAD C315BEE amp seems to have developed a fault. When I turn it on there is a fairly loud buzzing coming from both speakers. It's the same on any input channel, and isn't linked to the volume adjustment (I turn the volume up or down and the buzzing stays the same.) I tried disconnecting all the inputs, and no change. I also tried plugging some headphones in to it to see if it was the speakers, but the same buzzing comes through the headphones as well. Strangely, the buzzing comes from the headphones even when the amp is in standby, whereas the speakers only emit the noise when the amp it actually on.

It's about 6 months out of the 2 year guarantee, so before embarking on a mission to get it fixed I was wondering if it's likely to be anything I've done, or if there is anything I can try to fix it?

Thanks.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Check all connections first to make sure you haven't got the plugs wrong or the speaker cable lose or touching when it's not meant to be (maybe a stray wire). Also try disconnecting from the mains and try another socket, turn off standby mode and switch back on again etc

Apart from the buzzing do you get any musical sound? Has the fault developed recently or is it intermittent?

After checking all connections and other possibilities I would take it to the dealer you purchased from and ask for refund or fix.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Wires are definitely not wrong, I've not touched any of the cables for months and it's only just started doing it. Checked round the back to make sure nothing is loose or touching but it all seems in order. Will try a different socket tomorrow, I wanted that to be a last resort though because everything is all cable tidied together and it'll be a right pig to get out. Will have to do it tomorrow though.

I've never heard it do it before. Just went to stick a bit of music on this afternoon and as soon as the amp turned on the buzzing started. Music does still play through the speakers but the buzzing overpowered it quite badly and I didn't dare turn up the volume.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear you have problems, but when it actually works (no buzzing sound), how do you like it then? I am thinking about setting my parents up with that amp
emotion-5.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Chokobolt:Sorry to hear you have problems, but when it actually works (no buzzing sound), how do you like it then? I am thinking about setting my parents up with that amp
emotion-5.gif

It's a brilliant amp and once you hear it you'll be wanting to switch your own gear over to NAD.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm no expert but all I can say is it was a good step up in quality compared to the upper end micro systems (Denon DM38 etc) and I've really enjoyed having it over the last couple of years. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
when you say buzzzing ... is it like a distorted sound to the music that makes it some REALLY bad ?

as i had that .. was a blown transitor .. happened within 2 week of me having .. had a replacement ( new ) . did you notice a smell when you first turned it on ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This is the model with the two built in 'light bulbs' that form part of the 'PowerDrive-S' circuit design I think.

Have one or more of these bulbs blown or gone on the fritz maybe?

A

Anonymous

TALON1973:
when you say buzzzing ... is it like a distorted sound to the music that makes it some REALLY bad ?

as i had that .. was a blown transitor .. happened within 2 week of me having .. had a replacement ( new ) . did you notice a smell when you first turned it on ?

Here's a video of it happening. It buzzes when there is no music playing, then when music does play it is still present and distorts the music. You'll see what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiXP6p6fiuE

chebby:

This is the model with the two built in 'light bulbs' that form part of the 'PowerDrive-S' circuit design I think.

Have one or more of these bulbs blown or gone on the fritz maybe?

You mean actual bulbs? Or is that some kind of electrical component slang? Sorry but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the insides of electricals!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
alwatson: You mean actual bulbs? Or is that some kind of electrical component slang? Sorry but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the insides of electricals!

No slang.

The NAD PowerDrive-S (at least the version in the C315BEE) uses quartz halogen light bulbs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO58rNwo1g8

Here is the 'blurb' from NAD in this pdf file.

They kick in above 30 watts I think.

They are shrouded in normal use so you won't see them without the cover off. (Not recommended!)

A

Anonymous

Ah, interesting video. I've often peeked through the grill on the top of the amp at all the stuff inside and thought it would be cool to take a look inside. Definitely won't be opening it up myself though. Sent an email to the dealer tonight so will hopefully get a reply tomorrow saying they'll sort it out. I fear it won't be quite that easy, unfortunately.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far anyway.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to drag this back up, but just wanted to get a couple of opinions if possible.

I've been in touch with the retailer and they are essentially saying that because the fault hasn't been present in the first 2.5 years, they are saying that the buzzing is due to fair wear and tear and it is unreasonable of me to expect this not to happen. Is this really classed as wear and tear on an amp? I'm not expert so I may well be corrected but it's not the kind of fault that I would associate with wear and tear.

Is it fairly common to need to repair amps with this kind of fault after a couple of years or is it not likely to be acase of wear and tear as the retailer is suggesting?

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

I had a different problem with my NAD amp and I got a hold of a great guy for amp repairs. If you want the guys number I can email it to you if the mods allow. Im in Scotland and had to post to him but it was well worth it. Top bloke.

A

Anonymous

It would be useful in case I can't get it sorted for free. I can't afford a new amp, so could really do with getting it fixed so if the mods can arrange an exchange of emails that would be great.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Had an email from a reader saying that

"After about 2 years using a Nad 315BEE it developed the same symptoms

Traced the fault to power supply caps (10000uF 50v)

When new ones fitted problem solved!"

A

Anonymous

This sounded a likely solution as this was the identical scenario to my own problem - 2 years old and buzzing. I think it's important to note that when the amplifier is on standby, that the power supply and therefore its capacitors is also 'on'. Electrolytic capacitors have a lifetime that is affected by temperature amongst other things and two years constantly powered in a hifi rack might just be their 'life'... I replaced mine with Panasonics of the same value, but uprated to 63V to get an improved ripple current at about the same ESR - they just fitted. Needless to say I now turn the unit off at the wall when I'm not using it.

WilliamW

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have just found this thread. A friend was about to chuck out his 2 1/2 year old NAD 315BEE because it had developed a terrible buzz, and he had bought a replacement. I guessed from his description that it would be apower supply capacitor problem, and I decided to hang on to the box until I had time to look at it. My friend has now bought a newer NAD model to replace it.

I looked inside the 315 and - guess what? - the main smoothing capacitors are swollen and a brownish goo has seeped out of their bases. The same is true for some smaller power capacitors which look as though they are part of a headphone amplifier stage - no swelling, but seepage of fluid out of the base.

This amp was destined for the local dump, but I reckon it must be worth replacing the capacitors and seeing if it will 'fly' again. My friend has just told me his new replacement NAD amp now has a mains switch on the back, so presumably NAD are aware this was a design problem. Reviewers take note!

Hope others find this info helpful. Given the initial cost of these things, definitely worth looking at going for a repair.

johnnybegood

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I got exactly the same problem, power buzz even with the unit on standby. I stripped down the amp and checked it - one of the 10000MF caps was blown causing massive ripple on one of the 12v power lines. It is easy for a tecnician to change the caps, easy access, get him to change both these caps while he is at it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts