Mytek Brooklyn DAC

mrb2012

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone heard one of these and if so what did you think? It seems to be the only DAC currently available that supports both DSD and MQA unless I'm mistaken.

anroj

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi MRB2012, I own a Mytek Brooklyn DAC and it is broken in so I will make some comments on what I have observed. It is extremely detailed showing top to bottom coherency. Bass is tight and well articulated, the mids are silky and very realistic on both female and male voices. The highs are shimmery, without edginess that leads to listening fatigue. You can pinpoint individual instruments in a recording, but it is not so analytical that it sounds sterile or non-musical. Quite the opposite: music sounds like music. If you have a good recording, that is going to stand out. If you have a bad recording, that is going to stand out as well. I have noticed increased depth and width to the soundstage (if it is there in the recording), and instruments are precisely placed within the soundstage. On a well recorded hi-rez offering like Time Out (DSD), the cymbal strikes come from outside my speakers and the speakers seem like they just aren't there - just great music!

Another thing I like about the Brooklyn is that it has a great headphone amp as well as phonostage. I have been able to consolidate my system and have sacrificed nothing in the process.

The one thing I would say is if you are thinking about getting a Brooklyn, it is early right now for MQA and that is not available on the Brooklyn - yet. I don't know of anyone else besides Meridian that has MQA enabled on a device. Personally, I'm enjoying my Brooklyn so much that I'm not impatient for the MQA licensing to be completed.

mrb2012

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
A very belated reply but thanks for taking the trouble to give me your verdict. In the end I went for a Chord Hugo 2 as I was able to audition this much more readily. Really pleased so far and not missing MQA.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts