My Yamaha AS501 Amp is switching off and on

itsrajmail

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I am having Yamaha AS501 Stereo Amp. For the past 3 months, my amp is automatically switching off and then turning on immediately while playing songs.
Sometimes it keep happening continuously in irregular intervals.
This issue happening even if I don't connect my speakers. So there is no possibility for short circuit in Speakers.
I am using Sonodyne tower speakers.
Has anyone experienced this issue?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sounds to me the amplifier may have picked up a fault are you still in the 3 years warranty ?
Not sure if the Yamaha A-S501 has a standby switch at the back of the unit but if it has turn it off also the amplifier is sensitive to little power surges which if you buy a plug in power surge protection that goes straight to the wall and plug the amplifier to this will help .
All Yamaha amplifiers are sensitive to power spikes as the amplifiers are fitted with a protection circuit .
Have you tried the amplifier on its own with nothing connected ? will it keep turned on if it does then one of you Hifi components is the problem .

itsrajmail

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Sounds to me the amplifier may have picked up a fault are you still in the 3 years warranty ?
Not sure if the Yamaha A-S501 has a standby switch at the back of the unit but if it has turn it off also the amplifier is sensitive to little power surges which if you buy a plug in power surge protection that goes straight to the wall and plug the amplifier to this will help .
All Yamaha amplifiers are sensitive to power spikes as the amplifiers are fitted with a protection circuit .
Have you tried the amplifier on its own with nothing connected ? will it keep turned on if it does then one of you Hifi components is the problem .

Thanks for the suggestions.
The standby switch is in OFF position only.
I am using voltage stabilizer for my amplifier, therefore no possibility of power spikes.
I took it to the service center and the technician suggest me to check the speaker. There would be possible speaker circuit malfunction which keep the amp shutting down for protection.
Inside my tower speakers there is a circuit board available, but not sure how to check that.
My speaker connection are hold good. I tried changing the speaker wire as well. I need to observe it for few days. I will post the status...

Thanks

itsrajmail

May 19, 2020
Visit site
Finally, I serviced the amplifier with a technician and he fixed it. He replaced few capacitors and its fixed. Poor Yamaha components. It did not withstand for even 4 years!!!

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS