My TH37PX80, possibly a mistake

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I posted on here earlier in the week about some issues I was having with my new PX80. Well some of the issues were reduced when I changed some of the cables I was using. Once I had sorted those out I was feeling fairly happy with my purchase. I though the freeview content was very good, SD DVD content (watched matrix Revolutions) was also pretty good via s-video but I had no HDMI cable to try any actual HD content from my v+ box.

Whilst watching the tv last night I noticed some areas of the image were going blurry. Seemed to be areas further back in the scene. Almost like having the focus set too near so things behind were not quite in focus. I switched through lots of channels and found similar issues on a lot of the channels. I also noticed when I switched the TV off there was an amount of image retention, I could see the v+ channel info box and outlines of various things. This is although I have the picture set to cinema mode, and everything else on medium levels, no dynamic, nothing else turned on.

So today I decided to go buy an HDMI lead instead of waiting for one I have on order so I could finally try out BBC HD, and some HD content on v+ on demand. Also I wanted to see if upscaled SD content looked sharper.

Well, I wasn't blown over by the difference to be honest. Yes it was a bit more detailed, a bit sharper but not the mind blowing HD experience I had been expecting. The SD content looked a little better but again nothing amazing.

I tried 720p and 1080i output from the v+ box and didn't notice a massive difference although it seemed 720p was better.

So now I am wondering, am I expecting too much? I look back at the HD samples I saw in currys, Dixons etc... on LCD and they were very colourful, sharp and almost 3d in nature. The HD demos I saw on the Panasonic plasmas in Comet looked fantastic on the 37PX70 and 42PX80, but for some reason on my 37PX80 things just don't look the same. OK, I realise my settings are low at the moment and it's not setup as it would be in a store, but why would it go out of foucs?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I can understand your frustrations. Watching my friends' Sky HD box, I notice how un-HD it is on some films - yes it's better than standard TV, but once you've seen Blu-Ray, you expect that standard. From what I can see, you don't have a Blu-Ray player so my advice is to get one (I have a PS3). When you see this, you'll realise why you bought your HDTV. I know it's sh*t that there's nothing as good on TV, but it will get there eventually!

A

Anonymous

Yeah - Once the old analogue switch off gets into full stride there will be huge swathes of bandwith available for HD broadcasts... Bring it on!

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm banging my head against a wall at the moment. Sometimes the pictures seems pretty good, then others it seems quite pixelated and out of focus.

Argghhhh!

A

Anonymous

your virgin box is not that great to be honest. the only real place for decent hd content is sky. great movie channels in hd (now three) plus hd football. differences on my pioneer 428xd is night and day. while not in that league, your panny is a decent tv so i would suggest you get sky hd if you can. the hd output on virgin is very limited as well

A

Anonymous

@Chriswharris, could you tell me if you have Sky Sports on your V+ box? I'm in such a quandary about what HD tv to get. I watch tons of Football and other sports so that's my main channel of choice, not so bothered about movies though I do have a PS3. I just want something that will show footy and SD TV better than atm. I have a 28" Phillips CRT and was about to buy a 37/40M87, but was advised to go the Plasma route for the motion handling when watching the footy and thought I'd look into the TH37PX80. Problem is no shop I go into has a V+ box on Sky and therefore can't show me exactly what it will be like (I can't get Sky where I live).

Hopefully you can let me know what the footy is like on your box and hope your picture problem has resolved itself.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Frostygills"]

@Chriswharris, could you tell me if you have Sky Sports on your V+ box? I'm in such a quandary about what HD tv to get. I watch tons of Football and other sports so that's my main channel of choice, not so bothered about movies though I do have a PS3. I just want something that will show footy and SD TV better than atm. I have a 28" Phillips CRT and was about to buy a 37/40M87, but was advised to go the Plasma route for the motion handling when watching the footy and thought I'd look into the TH37PX80. Problem is no shop I go into has a V+ box on Sky and therefore can't show me exactly what it will be like (I can't get Sky where I live).

Hopefully you can let me know what the footy is like on your box and hope your picture problem has resolved itself.
[/quote]

I don't have sky sports, used to switched to virgin from Sky in December after having Sky for 16 years! I have watched football on BBC freeview and also sports on setanta etc.. and the PX80 seems to handle motion very well. I've been watching a selection of stuff tonight and I think I'm going to stick with the PX80 and give it a chance.

At the moment I'm watching V+ via scart so I expect a slight improvement when I get an HDMI cable that is long enough!

A

Anonymous

Football is better on Plasma, fullstop.

The V+ box is better than Freeview reception. They dont do HD sports channels though.

So the 37X80 (or 42PX80) would be a good bet. I'm just buying the 37PX80 (another footie fan)

TRENDING THREADS