My System - With Updates!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was not too sure how to do updates to my system but having seen in some forums how people manage, I thought I will start a new thread. Pcitures will follow from the next post onwards :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Newest Members - Classe SSP 800 and Classe CA 2100

DSC00837.JPG

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you both on center speaker not being place in center. The other option that I have is to stack the speaker on top of the Power Amp. I did as a try and it looked as if too much of equipment and also given the platic type of base that the center speaker has I am fairly sure that it is going to melt from the heat of the heatsinks as well as block the ventillation :(

Any ideas? (with out changing the rack)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Looking good WT :) Do you have any further changes / upgrades on the horizon?

Re the centre, as a temporary improvement I would consider bringing it forward to the edge of the unit so you are not getting reflections off it.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot! Regarding the center speaker off center topic, I am just doing some experiment and came out with the temporary solution below ;)

photo.JPG

We were doing some testing of Classe CA 2100 vs CAP 2100 just in Power amp mode and how much improvement we could see with the Audiolab M-DAC.

I found some space on top of the CA 2100 where I could put the Center with out blocking any ventillation and I might just put some wooden spacers where the center speaker's support rests so that it won't melt due to the heat.

Well, mostly this is a subjective opinion, but I would say that the SSP 800 is the best pre amp I ever heard in my system. I actually heard the combination with Classe Monblocks and 802D as well as older 800D and as powerful they sounded I would not go that route (though except 804D, I would not consider any other speakers for my self as they are too big and bulky, IMO)

But for some one not looking for the big leap in price, the M-DAC sounds the best of the rest (the other DACs that I heard are MF M1DAC, Rega DAC, PS Audio DL3 at home and Benchmark DAC1 not in home system)

Before getting the SSP 800, we never thought anything could be improved beyond my older set up from electronics perpsective. Even such basic speakers are able to make me hear the newer improved clarity and details!

Currently I am fine with Marantz SR6006 as power amp as the set up is easy and I get 6 channel amplification. I just set the Marantz to 0 DB and turned off all the processing. IMO, beyong front L, R the amplification is not demanding especially with sub in places and my center and surrounds are crossed at 100Hz (though not needed - but I thought would make it easier for the Marantz and the speakers)

Kef Reference 203/2 are the ones that I might get into and regarding the speakers I would resist temptation if home demo option is not there. I have burnt my fingers too many times in the past with speakers (and not doing home demo). This time I will tread slow and carefully (I hope) before I even consider the upgrade from the current Tannoy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For 2 channel, do I gather that you prefer the SSP 800 -> CA2100 than either the CAP2100, or MDac -> CA2100.

For 5 channel, are you using the SSP 800 into the Classe for L&R, and into the Marantz for the rest?

The 203/2s should be a great match with Classe, but I agree you need a home demo; or in my case, I bought them with the ability to return them if I didn't like them. I did extensive demoing at the dealer, so I had a fair idea what I was going to hear.

Also bear in mind , it's possible that the Refs (or whatever speaker) will give a different result to the Tannoys regarding the various options that you have.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
That is right Cno.

For Stereo

Set up 1: SSP 800 + CA 2100 sounded the best

Set up 2: SSP 800 + CAP 2100 as power amp - Sounded almost same as above with a very very minor differences but noticeable

Set up 3: M-DAC (only as DAC) + CAP 2100 as Integrated - Lost lot of details but sounded good enough

Set up 4: M-DAC (DAC+pre) + CA 2100 as power - lost some amount of dynamics when compared to the set up 3

I can imagine the KEFs will sound different. I heard thr R700s and I liked what I heard :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
For 5 channel, are you using the SSP 800 into the Classe for L&R, and into the Marantz for the rest?

For multi channel - SSP 800 does all the processing, decoding and all. CA-2100 does the front L & R. Marantz Receiver acts as power amp and drives the C, SL, SR. It is a bit of a waste to use Marantz SR6006 just as power amp since I already have it (and got it for a very good price), and it gives me 7 channels of amplification!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
CnoEvil said:

For multi channel - SSP 800 does all the processing, decoding and all. CA-2100 does the front L & R. Marantz Receiver acts as power amp and drives the C, SL, SR. It is a bit of a waste to use Marantz SR6006 just as power amp since I already have it (and got it for a very good price), and it gives me 7 channels of amplification!

Is there a way of using the Classe amps for bi-amping L&R, or are you selling the CAP-2100?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well WT,i have to say your set-up looks great,and am sure sounds even better!!!

Can you not mount the center just under the tv?.....maybe this would add a tadge more balance to the look of the system,and maybe lift the soundstage(sorry for my inexperianced ignorance by the way)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts