My System(Possible Upgrade)

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
On advice I am re-submitting this query.

Hi all, just registered and I would value your opinion about my system, I am thinking of an upgrade (audio only not visual) 60% of my use would be mainly music many thanks in advance to all who reply.

Arcam A80 (Used as power amp in AV mode), CD92, DV79, Denon 3802 (AV Amp), Thomson Sky + Box, Sharp Aquos P50, B&W DM 603 S2, 635's,HTM 62, M&K Sub, Mains Russ Andrews Classic power cords with a six way mains block, Nordost flatline biwire gold on front only and QED silver anniversery on rears only, Van den Hul interconnects analogue audio and Qed on digital interconnect, Qed HDMI P and scart cable and all resting on a sound style equipment rack.

Budget I am still unsure about it but would stretch to a worthwhile upgrade, music mainly indie, rock and dance, with action movies mostly viewed.

My current set up sounds a little dry at times and the timing can be a little slow also

matthewpiano

At this stage I'd suggest you would benefit most from upgrading your amplifier. The A80 is likely to be the culprit of the slow sound you are experiencing and I'd be inclined to consider something more rhythmic such as a Naim Nait 5i. Of course, you would then benefit from a speaker upgrade as well to get the best from the Naim and I'd be looking at something like the Rega RS3 floorstanders as a natural partner. I'm sure Chebby will have some good advice to give here.

The other option would be to seek out an Arcam power amp to help inject some more life into the A80's performance but, again, a fairly swift speaker upgrade would be needed to really see the benefits. If you go down this road I'd be inclined to look at ProAc, PMC, and Dali speakers. Hopefully JoelSim will be along later to give more detailed advice on this option.

More than anything, you really must audition anything you shortlist to make sure its going to give you what you are looking for. There is nothing worse than following someone's recommendation and then finding its not for you AFTER parting with your hard earned cash.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:At this stage I'd suggest you would benefit most from upgrading your amplifier. The A80 is likely to be the culprit of the slow sound you are experiencing and I'd be inclined to consider something more rhythmic such as a Naim Nait 5i. Of course, you would then benefit from a speaker upgrade as well to get the best from the Naim and I'd be looking at something like the Rega RS3 floorstanders as a natural partner. I'm sure Chebby will have some good advice to give here. The other option would be to seek out an Arcam power amp to help inject some more life into the A80's performance but, again, a fairly swift speaker upgrade would be needed to really see the benefits. If you go down this road I'd be inclined to look at ProAc, PMC, and Dali speakers. Hopefully JoelSim will be along later to give more detailed advice on this option. More than anything, you really must audition anything you shortlist to make sure its going to give you what you are looking for. There is nothing worse than following someone's recommendation and then finding its not for you AFTER parting with your hard earned cash.

Thanks for that, I would be of the same opinion about A80, at times it can sound a little out of it's depth.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, although for your musical tastes the CD92 is too smooth, and I have never really been impressed by the B&Ws.

If it was my budget, I would change the amp first and end the use of an AV amp for music, possibly a Naim, then get some decent floorstanders as your front speakers, then the CDP, the CD192 is much better for your music.

You seem to have cables all worked out but have you got a rack? Don't underestimate how much more rythmn you can get from one.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
JoelSim:You seem to have cables all worked out but have you got a rack? Don't underestimate how much more rythmn you can get from one.

Oh please. First of all, racks don't impact the sound, physics prevents that. But even a true believer like you has to admit that any impact is negligable compared to the speakers and electronics actually carrying the music signal.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Again thanks for all the valuable input, if I am correct the first course of action is to upgrade the Amp(A80) agreed, apart from the Naim would some of the cyrus models suit my tastes in music and what other options are recommended, maybe if I still choose another arcam amp again would the A32 be a sound choice, no pun intended.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify I use the A80 amp to listen music only and then in the processor mode it acts as a power amp to the two foorstanders via the denon amp and is all on a sound style rack

A

Anonymous

After reading through some other forum queries regarding the problem with sound quality for music while using a cinema surround set-up and Av amp, can I suggest you upgrade your stereo amp and connect the front main speakers to that, then connect the stereo amp to AV amp through pre-amp inputs which would run your centre and surround speakers, or is this what you already have ??!! Anyway, a 2 channel upgrade is what is required obviously and it opens up your options considerably for music listening while still enjoying the odd action flick !! I assume the Denon has inputs for this arrangement as you already use the Arcam as a power amp at the moment...Is this any help or retreading old ground ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts