My system before and after

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

My kind of setup. simple effective and I bet sounds great.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
After a couple of updates, and prompted by seeing BenLaw's lovely looking system, I thought I'd post an update showing my system as it currently stands. Hope I remember how to do this:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/DT79/DSC_0002.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/DT79/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/DT79/DSC_0004-2.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/DT79/DSC_0005-1.jpg

We've got the Naim CDX2 added, CA 751BD replacing Sony BDP-S570 (leaving an annoying gap |( ), Auralex Subdude under the REL Quake and 2* Aldi granite chopping board under each speaker stand. What you can't see is that the speaker stands are now un-filled as well, and that Pink Floyd is playing :)

I will get some new legs at some stage and elimitate the gap, but it's straight forward if I want both stacks to be the same height.

Cheers

Dan

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
atanakata said:
Looking very nice Dan,

Well done...Is it just me or there isn`t a center speaker in your system, and a sub actually ???

Hi atanakata - thanks very much. You're right, there is no centre - the centre channel information is mixed in to the front L&R. I used to have MA Radius 180s on the front 3 channels, matching my surrounds, but then I realised that sending the front L&R through my Naim stereo amp and Neat speakers was vastly better.

The sub is on the right in the corner - it's only a little REL Quake.

Cheers

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Aaah,right...

So you`re using the stereo amp for the fronts and the receiver for the rears and the sub ( which I didn`t notice :). Well if you find it satisfactory - fair enough . You have 4 satellites, so the experience must be really good . Enjoy..

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
This is looking very stylish Dan, congratulations :) The last photo shows you've got a lovely, relaxed environment too. So is that rear width and rear height you have?

My only comment, in light of my own recent experience, would be to ask if you've considered some acoustic treatment behind you given you're fairly close to the rear wall? Should be possible to do something that matches the decor.

Cheers,

Ben

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
This is looking very stylish Dan, congratulations :) The last photo shows you've got a lovely, relaxed environment too. So is that rear width and rear height you have?

My only comment, in light of my own recent experience, would be to ask if you've considered some acoustic treatment behind you given you're fairly close to the rear wall? Should be possible to do something that matches the decor.

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks very much Ben.

Yes - surround and surround backs, if that's what you meant.

I have thought about acoustic treatment, as the sound is noticeably better if I lean forward a bit, so killing the refection from the rear wall ought to improve things. Did you make yours yourself, or buy them?

oh - and thanks for sorting out my pictures! :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
BenLaw said:

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks very much Ben.

Yes - surround and surround backs, if that's what you meant.

I have thought about acoustic treatment, as the sound is noticeably better if I lean forward a bit, so killing the refection from the rear wall ought to improve things. Did you make yours yourself, or buy them?

oh - and thanks for sorting out my pictures! :)

Yeah surround and surround backs is what I meant! The leaning forward thing may be at least as much to do with getting in the sweet spot, are you able to move your speakers any wider to experiment? Either way, an acoustic panel may be handy. Only thing is it'll need to come down very close to the top of the sofa to kill the first reflection, so doesn't blend quite as smoothly as ordinary decoration. I made mine myself - I've got one picture of half way through the process on my system thread and a full explanation on my thread on atcforums - I'll try to find some time to post some more pics here if people might find it useful.

No worries re the pics! :)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately i can't move them any further apart as i need them as far from back and side walls as possible to keep the bass under control. I'll have a think about what I can do with the acoustics. Cheers.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You left in at start and end, for this system you just need the direct link. On all photo hosting sites that should be an option or, like I just did, you can just delete those bits. That needs to be entered in the box that opens when you click the 'tree' link.

Lookin great btw! 8)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
You left in at start and end, for this system you just need the direct link. On all photo hosting sites that should be an option or, like I just did, you can just delete those bits. That needs to be entered in the box that opens when you click the 'tree' link.

Lookin great btw! 8)

[/quote]

Ah I get it - that caught me out because on the HDD Audio forum it was the other way around! Thanks very much, I'm liking the streamlined new system (but mainly because of how it sounds :grin: )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts