My Sony BDP570 has been written off for replacement so what should I replace it with?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I got a call from Richer Sounds today a week after dropping in my Sony 570 bluray player for repair offering to replace it as it was losing it's wi-fi connection and stopping playback of catch up services at random times with a network error message so I'm looking at a replacement on Richer Sounds website before I go in store next week.

I paid £160 for the player and took out the extended warranty from Richers when I bought it and I'm glad I did as that's why they have offered to replace it as it's well out of the original manufacturers guarantee period, the only issue is that I can't see what the like for like replacement would be on Richers website. I don't want to drop down to an inferior player and have seen the S790 on there for £170 so I'm wondering if a bit of negotiation might be worthwhile and perhaps pay the difference to get this player? Or get something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Oldboy :wave:

If you are happy to go with another Sony then the S790 looks the best bet, I am sure that you will be able to do some deal as I have always found that the staff in Richer Sounds are open to negotiation on price.

If you are open to other makes then there is a great Pioneer player listed at £199.

Let us know how you get on.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
Hi Oldboy :wave:

If you are happy to go with another Sony then the S790 looks the best bet, I am sure that you will be able to do some deal as I have always found that the staff in Richer Sounds are open to negotiation on price.

If you are open to other makes then there is a great Pioneer player listed at £199.

Let us know how you get on.

+1 for the 790, mine is pretty good no complaints so far & had it over a year now. Although I don't rate the picture quality any better than any other BD player i have had or auditioned, it does have the advantage it plays a lot of file formats which may be useful to you & has a lot of apps too.

Regards ... Paul

D

Deleted member 2457

Can you get a refund and buy elsewhere? The Oppo 103 is up for grabs at Frank Harvey. Tell David who you are and you should get it for £450 and it's a really good high end player.

D

Deleted member 2457

This one too:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/denon-dbt-1713ud3d-blu-ray-player?gclid=COCjr4Ho5LoCFQ7LtAodWF8Ahw

D

Deleted member 2457

Richer Sounds have the Denon too:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/denon/dbt1713ud/deno-dbt1713

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
Can you get a refund and buy elsewhere? The Oppo 103 is up for grabs at Frank Harvey. Tell David who you are and you should get it for £450 and it's a really good high end player.

I'm not sure it's appropriate to reveal the specifics of trade discounts online, it puts FH at a commercial disadvantage.

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
gel said:

I'm not sure it's appropriate to reveal the specifics of trade discounts online, it puts FH at a commercial disadvantage.

Yep, I wasn't sure whether to put it or not. I would have private messaged it but that option is not available on here. I decided Oldboy was an old friend, and hopefully David wouldn't mind.

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
Yeah but now everyone knows. It's fine to say a discount will be offered but I would avoid specifying what discount you got.

It was actually a price match with someone else too.

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't see how spreading deals that you got from various people is a crime to be honest, at the end of the day they wouldn't do it if they couldn't afford To. But I had previously taken your stance on it though, but deals from various people get mentioned on here all the time. I got an even better deal at Sevenoaks which I told everyone about. Not that I think anyone else could achieve that level of discount to be honest. :). That was a serious one off!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
I don't see how spreading deals that you got from various people is a crime to be honest, at the end of the day they wouldn't do it if they couldn't afford To. But I had previously taken your stance on it though, but deals from various people get mentioned on here all the time. I got an even better deal at Sevenoaks which I told everyone about. Not that I think anyone else could achieve that level of discount to be honest. :). That was a serious one off!

Agreed !

Gel wouldn't be Gel if he couldn't spread the Gospel of a good deal !

Keep on spreading the word of Gel, Gel !

D

Deleted member 2457

psurquhart said:
gel said:

Agreed !

Gel wouldn't be Gel if he couldn't spread the Gospel of a good deal !

Keep on spreading the word of Gel, Gel !

Cheers mate. :).

Everybody on AV Forums knows David does good deals on stuff like this, so I am not exactly spreading new news anyway.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Yeah but now everyone knows. It's fine to say a discount will be offered but I would avoid specifying what discount you got.

In fairness to gel, the forum does have a section called "hot deals" where members are encouraged to share details of great offers they've managed to find..?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
There's a (fairly obvious, I would have thought) distinction between widely publicising an advertised deal and revealing the personal discount which has been applied to an individual transaction. Anyway, David's been posting on the forum so if he sees this I'm sure he can comment one way or the other, it's not really my business.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the ideas but I really should have stated from the outset that the Sony 570 is my bedroom player and I use it mainly for catch up TV services like iPlayer and Lovefilm and the occasional bluray or DVD.

I hadn't thought about perhaps using this as an opportunity to change my main room player which is a Panasonic BDT500, it's hardly an old out of date and budget player so I'm not sure if the gains would justify the extra expense and to be frank with a Playstation 4 to buy in a few weeks time and with Christmas just around the corner I can't really justify a hefty outlay on a new bluray player.

If the gains were going to be large enough then I would consider moving the Panasonic BDT500 to the bedroom and upgrading the living room player but I would need a bit of convincing that it would be worth doing to justify the extra outlay ;)

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Oldboy,

If you can remember from previous threads / posts, that I once had a Panny 500 and have been in excatly your same shoes.

I swapped my broken Panny 500 for a Sony 790 via Richer Sounds (they gave me the in-store credit on what I paid for the 500 new) and bagged an Apple TV3 into the deal (it was a win / win situation imo).

I would have thought the Sony 790 would be an ideal swap / replacement for your 570. Hardly any additional cost to bear in mind and ticks all your boxes. i am very happy with mine, It is not built like a tank / 500 but works brilliantly as an additional entertainment hub (netflix, streaming etc...etc...), in fact it is a doodle to use compared with my old 500.

If you did do this, I would love you to do one of your in depth reviews / comparisons between the two players - would be an interesting read. Of course you will do what you feel fit but it is my recommendation none the less.

TRENDING THREADS