My Philips 47PFL7404 - GOOD RIDDANCE!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Feeling very happy, because yesterday I returned The Worst TV I've Ever Owned™: a Philips 47PFL7404. Total ****! It had two main problems. Firstly, hideous motion-blur: if anything with all the alacrity of "an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping" moved across the screen in a panning shot it would have a 'watery halo'. What was it like watching F1 or The Bourne Ultimatum's motorbike vs scooter chase? Headache-inducing, literally. The second problem was ever-increasing backlight-bleed: huge great blobs of grey in the corners of the screen, which made night-set exterior scenes, for example, appear to have multiple light sources. Trading Standards/Consumer Direct advised that the above faults rendered the TV "not fit for purpose", thus I was entitled to return it to the trader/store for a refund/credit, subject to an attempt to repair the fault(s). Transpires that the TV wasn't 'faulty', in the words of Philips's engineer: "Ah, it's a 47PFL7404 - they all do that, sir." In an attempt to find a solution, he loaded a software update but it actually made the problems worse. Ergo, the 47PFL7404 has a design flaw. Thankfully, the folks at the dealer, Sevenoaks Bromley, were very helpful and the return-process was most amicable - albeit a tad long-winded. Haven't replaced the TV - from what I can gather, too many current TVs have 'issues' and it appears there’re some potential goodies arriving in the next few months? (Do I wish Pioneer still made the Kuro KRP-500M.) Meanwhile, my 'old' Panasonic TH42PX70 plasma - which also recently had problems: it needed a new panel; fixed FOC, ta Panasonic - has been returned to duty. The TH42PX70 may not have the 47PFL7404's detail and 1080p/24FPS compatibility, but it is a pleasure to return to deep blacks, a total lack of backlight-bleed and no motion-blur. Ahhhh.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking of going for a 7404 at one point, as a starting point in moving from CRT to an LCD plus projector setup.

I had a look in Richer Sounds and to be honest the nearby Samsung 650 looked better. The 7404 picture was very good, and detailed, but somehow didn't quite look 'real' and bright highlights seemed over-exaggerated. The 650 seemd to have a more CRT-like pciture. Obviously, maybe both could have been tweaked for a better picture.

In the end I thought get a projector, as you've still got a good CRT TV, and then you can see if you still need a TV and think about how to upgrade it if you need to.

But this kind of thing is exactly why I haven't upgraded yet. The technology still seems immature in terms of performance, with the only benefits being space saving and the possibility of high-def content, (but what good is it if the picture's dodgy).

Projecotr I'm really hapy with BTW, and still working through tweaks to make the picture even better. Grand prix in the daylight was no problem.

A

Anonymous

And interestingly the philips 9664 in 47'' format was considered not worth the extra money over the 7404!

I nearly bought a 7404 on the back of that recommendation - I am relieved I didnt for quite a few reasons and you have added to that with your experience

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:Hmm, a projector, I've never considered that option - appealing.

Ta for the clue, Kinda.

I assume it's possible to connect a PVR-type device to a projector for watching TV broadcasts?

Yep - I haven't owned a TV for 6 years (see plenty of them at work, mind you...). A projector, screen and Sky+HD and i'm sorted
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Well done for getting trading standards to acknowledge motion blur and backlight bleed as a fault. We all know it's a fault but I'd imagine it would be very difficult to follow up. I can just picture the staff at the local trading standards office all scratching their heads and asking each other what you meant! Fair play to you though, for that sort of cash you would expect nothing short of a top quality screen.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Daveee:Well done for getting trading standards to acknowledge motion blur and backlight bleed as a fault. We all know it's a fault but I'd imagine it would be very difficult to follow up. I can just picture the staff at the local trading standards office all scratching their heads and asking each other what you meant! ...
Wasn't a problem, using the phrase, "Big grey splodges in each corner of the screen when it should be black", seemed to do the trick when trying to describe clouding/backlight-bleed to Trading Standards (TS). And "weird, shimmering, watery outline" also struck a chord when describing motion-blur. The fact that I mentioned that the latter was also headache-inducing, literally, really made the TS advisor 'smell blood'.

I can be surprisingly eloquent when I think I'm due a refund. (Might have something to do with Caledonian genes.)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
6th.replicant:Hmm, a projector, I've never considered that option - appealing.

Ta for the clue, Kinda.

I assume it's possible to connect a PVR-type device to a projector for watching TV broadcasts?

Yep - I haven't owned a TV for 6 years (see plenty of them at work, mind you...). A projector, screen and Sky+HD and i'm sorted
emotion-21.gif

The more I research, the more I like what I find re projectors.

From what I can gather, £-for-£ the pic quality it better compared to TVs - correct?

Clare, any advice re screens, please?

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts