Question My old KEF 104 a/b speakers

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
I decided to sell my 40 year-old vintage KEF 104 a/b speakers as I ordered the Buchardt A500 system. I advertised the KEFs on the local Craigslist priced at $150 for the pair. Within two hours I was flooded with interested buyers from as far away as 50 miles.

I connected them so the buyer could audition them before accepting them and was shocked by how good they sounded. They have a nicer bass response than my KEF LS-50s! Now I’m not sure I want to sell them. At least not for $150.

Did I significantly underprice them? The speaker cones are in good shape and the cabinets are in near showroom condition. But they are 40 years old and can’t possibly sound as good as new, modern speakers. So why are all of these people going ga ga over them?

D

Deleted member 116933

Cheapest pair I could find here in the U.K. is around the £250 mark and fully refurbed pair for about 1k. If I where to be selling them and they where in nice condition, I don’t think I’d let them go for less than 300quid. Personally think you letting the go a bit to cheap.

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
I still have them. My girlfriend heard them and wants them (so I guess I get $0 for them).

I reconnected the LS-50s. Although they lack the bass response, they are more clear and transparent in the mid and high ranges. The 104s seem to add some coloration in these ranges but maybe it’s because they are 49 years old.

A few months ago I heard the B & W 603 S2 and 704 S2 floor standers. I really liked their warm sound, which my LS-50s lack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts