My new system - remote control issues!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I've just taken delivery of my first ever AV receiver and speaker package, the new Onkyo HT-S5105 system, which I'm very pleased with performance-wise (especially considering it only set me back £300!). However, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting my other family members trained up to use it - in other words, they are absolutely perplexed when it comes to using the different remote controls! I have a Panasonic TH-42PX70 plasma, a Sky+ box and a PS3, and along with the new Onk that makes 4 remote controls. I would just like to ask a few questions and hope anyone can help me out (please?) :-

1. Does anyone know of a solution that means I don't have to switch the Panny and the Onk system on and off separately? At the moment, my family have a tendency to turn on the TV (but not the Onk) to find no sound because the TV speakers are muted, or switch the TV off later only to be bewildered by the fact that the Onk system is still producing sound when the TV is off!!! Is there any way at all that these two can be switched on and off together without having to press two different buttons on two different remotes each time?

2. My other big gripe is the fact that I can't adjust the Onk system's volume using the Panny or Sky+ remote controls. This is annoying me and the others, and thus far I haven't managed to find any codes in either manual that allows me to program these remotes to work the Onk. Someone please tell me that doing this is possible somehow??? (All I want is volume control, I don't care about anything else!)

Any help in this area would be VERY much appreciated, because I'm getting quite a lot of flak about this from everyone, and it's getting on my nerves! They're used to our old Panasonic DVD home cinema system (which tended to be much easier to use thanks to the 'Viera Link' feature) - this new system outperforms that old piece of junk to a huge extent when it comes to movie sound (which I LOVE with the Onk!!!), but I just wish it were easier to use!

I eagerly await any feedback - thanks again.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I just bought myself a Logitech Harmony One remote from Amazon for £70, they normally retail at over a £100.

It is excellent, easy to setup via a PC. Most source remotes are covered on their database so no remote learning needed. You get 'Activitiies' on the touch screen which uses one touch to turn on your TV, Onk and Sky box, the possibilities are endless!

I would certainly recommend it.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/3898&cl=gb,en

A

Anonymous

I went for the logitech harmoy aswell but the 555 model which is under 50 quid on amazon for the same reason so my partner and children could easily operate the av system. It now controls the tv, blu ray, amp, sky hd and the lighting kit with a touch of a button its simply superb highly recommended (as long as you have a pc !)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Harmony One for me too - set-up couldn't be easier and the rest of the family love it (especially the kids). ÿI'm so glad I spent that little bit more as it takes away a LOT of aggro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts