My new sub - Epos M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi Mat,

The adive given on AV Forum web site suggests that you only need to make the single connect to either the left or right low level imput. Who would have thought that connecting a sub could be so confusing. I've been playing with hifi kit etc for 30 years and this is the only time i've been stumped.

How are you connecting your sub?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I've connected the sub to the left and right preouts on my Arcam P35 power amp using a pair od RCAs - only tried it first thing this morning before work and listened quickly to 3 or 4 tracks - sounded great once had adjusted the volume and crossovers to allow it to blend in to the rest of my system.

A

Anonymous

Not up and running - superfi have agreed to come and pick it up to check it over. also had reply from epos who said that they would sort things out for me if i had no luck with superfi so that encouraging. I did ask the epos chap to comment on what appears to be the conflicting instructions given in their manual and web site. No response on that I'm afraid.

Superfi have offered either replacement or full refund - so i'll wait and see what the result of their inspection is. If they agree that it is a faulty unit may take a replacement - if they say that it's ok then there must be some sort of conflict, so i'll take the refund and look at the BK XLS 2000.

Watch this space....

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Well mine came today. The delivery man left it at the neighbours, who asked what it was when I came to pick it up.

ÿ"A speaker"

"Oh."

ÿFortunately, the neighbours won't be hearing it any time soon, mainly because it doesn't work. When I turn it on, it will work fine for about 30 seconds, before dying. The LED on the back goes out and the speaker goes eerily quiet. This problem is rectified by turning it off for about a minute, after which it will turn on and work fine for another 30 seconds or so.

ÿUpon deciding that this wasn't really ideal, I sent an email to Superfi requesting a refund. I have ordered from them before and they have been pretty good in teh customer service department, so I am sure something will be sorted out.

I reckon I'll wait until I have built my DIY ProAc Response 2.5s (done the crossovers, so "just" the cabinets to do). If they provide enough bass (I hear they have good bass), then I will leave the sub business; it is a hassle!

ÿOn the plus side, the sub looks absolutely stunning (light cherry), and sounds pretty good when it does work.ÿ

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I have checked all the wiring. What I did was get the wires that go into the sub, and shove them into my speakers instead. The speakers worked fine, suggesting that the problem was not with the wire. I have also tried leaving the sub on standby in case it was the current/heat protection kicking in, but unfortunately, it would not stay on standby for long either.ÿ

One of the pins on the power cable from the box was horribly bent (so I replaced the cable with another with the same fuse rating; teh power cable is not the cause of the problem), so I am currently assuming that somewhere along the line the box got a tremendous whack (I have tried bending the pins myself; it's bloomin' hard!) which knocked something loose in the amp circuitary. The fact that if I leave it on, every now and then it will come on for a couple of seconds adds further weight to this. But I'm no pro, so that is only a guess.

It's a shame, but I will just have to go a bit bass light until my floorstanders are built.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Very odd that we now have two dodgie subs via superfi - please let me know how you get on

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
think it more likely that they have both been bounced in transit - they are big and heavy - must admit mine had been knocked in transit, the box was split down one corner and there is a very small mark on the back of the sub pressed in to the wood about the size of a 5p - it was delivered to a neighbour so couldn't really complain to them - if it had been delivered to me i would have written on the delivery note - decided i couldn't be bothered to argue as long as it worked.

epos make quality products and they offer a 5 year guarantee as peace of mind.

A

Anonymous

I also took delivery this morning from Superfi. Packaging has a hole. M-Sub as new connected via low level input from sub pre-out of Yamaha DSP-AX861SE. Same problem!!!

A

Anonymous

As a last resort I am leaving it connected all night with pink noise to run in with no output on sub volume as it does not seem to affect the behaviour. However with the LFE output on Amp set to maximum seems to reduce the amount of cutting out. I am hoping that by tomorrow it will have settled down.

A

Anonymous

Well its the next day now and no change until finally when I checked later this evening there was no led light showing, no power, no sub. Dust to dust...

It must have suffered from a knock in transit. I can now only try another as the only real alternative to what I am looking for is the ELS.

A

Anonymous

Well does that make three....

They agreed to come and pick mine up but when the white van driver turned up he said he had no room in his van 'cos he wasn't told it was a large item.

Still waiting to re-arrange collection. (I've been away for a few days)

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Hopefully mine will be collected on Wednesday... And I will see a nice chunk of money back in my account! I will just have to wait for my bass a little longer....

In the mean time, I will reinvest the funds into DIY headphone amps! There is always something to buy...ÿ

A

Anonymous

I am going to persevere and not seek a refund just yet. Mine will be collected on Wednesday before Superfi can decide to replace it.

A

Anonymous

Folks, I reckon I have joined the same club as some of you... got my ELS Sub from Superfi a week ago, and hooked it up to my Arcam Solo music via the pre-outs/low level in: all I got was a green light indicating power - but NOT A PEEP out the sub. I played with the various trims on the sub to no avail. I emailed Epos Acoustics (both their technical@ and sales@ addresses) and got no reply. In fairness, Superfi arranged for it to be picked up on Wednesday so I am still awaiting a disposition. However, based on what I've read here, there seem to be too many problems with the EPOS subs for this to be a mere coincidence, and the fact that they don't reply to their customers would suggest that any other prospective customers should stay away from them if this is their attitude. Will keep al posted, and fingers crossed that Superfi can sort me out. I have a big party at home tomorrow week and need the sub to raise the rafters!!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i emailed epos customer service a while back and got an immediate response after hours and was initially really impressed with their help - luckily i have had no problems with my sub.

i then later emailed them regarding this post on what hi fi and asked them to confirm a few things and comment on the above - i copied in this web topic - no responce to my personal email or on this what hi fi thread - not sure why they have decided not to comment - but either somethings clearly wrong with these subs or superfi have bought a load off the back of a lorry which must have been droped 6 ft!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Well, I got a couple of messages from the Managing Director of EPOS today (tonight even) apologising for the problems I have had, which is fair enough and should be recognised; I did acknowledge that there had been many favourable reviews of Epos products, so now I guess its up to Superfi - as supplier - to resolve the issue.

A

Anonymous

Just to close the loop on my contribution, Superfi confirmed they would test this morning and very quickly e-mailed to say they would be refunding, so credit where credit is due, I can't fault their service overall. As I'm based in Ireland, I will stick to local suppliers for big ticket items like this in future, just in case.

A

Anonymous

Just to add to the above, I have always had excellent communication from both Epos and Superfi, with emails being responded to quickly.

I am now running my M through the low level inputs without problems, connected to my amp via a pair of phono interconnects (I don't know if it would work with just a single run sub cable... maybe a splitter is necessary if your amp has a single line out?).
Pity that so many people have had problems with this piece of equipment, but good that customer service from both companies has been decent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts