My Lumia 920 has arrived!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
alex_bro said:
bigboss said:
One minor annoyance. Everything is a 2-step process, like calling someone or switching wifi / Bluetooth on / off. Even for recently called numbers, if I have more than 1 number under a name, the whole business card of the person opens for you choose which number to call instead of calling back on the same number. Some apps for wifi & calls avoid this, not checked them yet. Even answering calls from lock position requires you to slide the lock page up & then click the answer button.

In the recent numbers list. Rather than tapping the name of the person in the list, tap the little phone icon to the left. This will then dial that number directly, rather than open the business card.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes, I discovered that shortly afterwards! :cheers:

alex_bro said:
Also, I take it you have downloaded the connectivity shortcuts app. This makes getting to the wifi and other connectivity settings a bit quicker 'cos you can put a wifi tile direclty on your home screen.

Yes, I've got the connectivity shortcuts app. But is there any app which tells me if the Bluetooth / wifi is switched on / off without having to go in the app? And which allows you to switch Bluetooth on / off by just clicking the tile (& not going in the app again)?

alex_bro

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You can't switch things like bluetooth, wifi etc on / off without actually entering the settings as far as I am aware.

you can tell if they are switched on or off though, without entering the settings.

If you swipe down from the top, you will see a bunch of notification icons drop down.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp7/basics/what-do-the-icons-on-my-phone-mean

If the icon shows, but is grey then the feature is turned on, but not connected to anything. If the icon is bright white then it is on and connected. If nothing shows where the icon should be, then it is switched off.

alex_bro

May 18, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
alex_bro said:
Just stumbled upon this brilliant photosharing app

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/11/30/photobeamer-the-magic-picture-show/

allows you to "beam" photos from your phone to any device with a web browser.

OMG!!! This the coolest app I've seen!! :cheers:

It's amazing!! Thanks!!!! :)

I Know! :cheers:

I must admit to being pretty bowled over by Windowsphone 8 and especially all the effort Nokia is putting in to differenciate themselves from everyone else.

Agreed. Nokia drive is the best phone based sat nav in the market today. A lot of thought process has gone on the hardware as well as the software to make the best phone around. Sure, there aren't many apps but i haven't felt limited by it. The app list is fastest growing amongst the 3. Nokia have outdone themselves this time.

A

Anonymous

I see the mag has given it 3 out of 5 for build quality but i can say that mine is fantastic - certainly on a par with anything from Apple - I know, coming from a 4S. The 920 is superior in every way!

CE

All I can say is that the Lumia 920's build quality is superior to anything on offer today, including the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 & HTCs. There are various "torture test videos" online & the Lumia 920 has done very well in them.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
All I can say is that the Lumia 920's build quality is superior to anything on offer today, including the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 & HTCs. There are various "torture test videos" online & the Lumia 920 has done very well in them.

The magazine disagrees with you, they mark it down 1 star for every category and 2 for the build (citing doubts over build quality) unbelievable???

Only 4 out of 5 for picture whereas the heavy weights (Google, Samsung and iPhone get 5)

CE

To be honest, I've started ignoring these magazine reviews. Lumia 920's screen has the highest pixel density amongst all smartphones, & these "doubts over build quality" is pure non-sense.

I don't care what reviews say. This is the best phone I've ever owned, hands down.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
CitizenEra5ed said:
Only 4 out of 5 for picture whereas the heavy weights (Google, Samsung and iPhone get 5)

The 920 is also a heavyweight - literally !!

Decent enough phone - but the lack of google apps make it a no-no for me.

bigboss said:
Negatives encountered so far:

1) The wifi network switches itself off when the phone goes to sleep, although it connects quickly when you go to home screen.

Looks like this will be resolved in the update coming later this month! :cheer:

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-promises-lumia-920-update-this-month/

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
probably a hard question to answer but how does audio via quality earphones sound compared to the other phones on the market? Currently I'm using a samsung galaxy s1 (purely for the audio quality) with voodoo sound and senneheiser ie80s and the sound is amazing..

micks_address said:
probably a hard question to answer but how does audio via quality earphones sound compared to the other phones on the market? Currently I'm using a samsung galaxy s1 (purely for the audio quality) with voodoo sound and senneheiser ie80s and the sound is amazing..

Between my older HTC Sensation, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4 & Lumia 920, I founf the Lumia 920's audio to be more open and revealing. All tested with Bose QC15.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
A quick search on Windows store brings up Subsonic music streamer which claims to support all popular formats including FLAC. I'm sure there will be more.

Is that a streamer or a local player though, I only use it in the car, usually. Something like PowerAmp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts