My Lumia 920 has arrived!!

A

Anonymous

Good stuff. We'll be wanting a mini review plus some pics today, the full review will be required next week :)

Initial impressions:

Build: Simply outstanding! This is easily the best built phone I've ever owned. Matte black body looks very good. It does not feel unduly heavy to me, rather it feels as if it's been made with some very high quality materials. It's about as large as the Samsung Galaxy S3, but much easier to hold due to its slightly curved back. The ceramic buttons, & Zirconium housing for the camera all look very nice & adds to its high end look. Nokia probably could've cut about a centimetre at the bottom. The extra space between the 3 touch buttons & the bottom edge could've been avoided.

Screen: Bright and happy! Extremely fluid touch screen, easily matching the best out there. The UI is very nice, & I'm happy with the degree of customisation it offers.

Setup: It helped that I had already set my account & contacts list up in outlook.com. I simply signed in & everything came into my phone automatically. Once I set my Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter accounts, all the contacts got automatically consolidated (although I had to link some manually). The one mistake I did was, I imported my gmail's address book into outlook, & also synced my gmail account to my phone. This has resulted in unnecessary duplicates (even though they're linked under one name).

Call quality: An absolute revelation after the terrible HTC Sensation. Shows a good network, & call quality is clear.

Other features: Voice commands (like Siri) seems to work well. It has understood my commands the first time so far. There's a dedicated camera button, which surprisingly is a very useful feature. I don't have to look for the camera app. The camera instantly starts when I press the button. The music player has a graphic equaliser.

Negatives encountered so far:

1) The wifi network switches itself off when the phone goes to sleep, although it connects quickly when you go to home screen.

2) No common notification area as yet, although I'm told it will common the next update. The live tiles help here.

3) Alarm is a separate app & not integrated within the clock.

I haven't checked the App Store properly yet. I have downloaded some basic apps like Facebook, Twitter, Skype etc. & have downloaded UK map onto Nokia drive.

I haven't noticed any bugs as yet.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Nice.

I want one, but not sure how I could justify it. My One X has a slightly scratched screen, is rooted and warranty voided so I'd likely not get much for it and it's got just under 2 years of contract to go! Might have to download the SDK and write some apps for it...thus justifying the purchase!

:)

fr0g said:
bigboss said:
fr0g said:
I want one, but not sure how I could justify it.

Just check it out at your local store; I'm sure you won't need any justification! ;)

I dunno. I could get 2 Nexus 4 16GB for the same price!

Ooo.....but it's not the Lumia! :)

The decision was much easier for me, as my wife is buying the Nexus 4. No point in having 2 of them in the same house, especially when it's available in a range of.....1 colour.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Juzfonesguv said:
Good stuff. We'll be wanting a mini review plus some pics today, the full review will be required next week :)

No time for pics as have to catch up on some sleep before my night shift. :)
Oh Okaay then. But I want some by the morning :p

I genuinely feel that Windows 8 is a worthy competitor to iOS & Android. Certainly the most exciting UI amongst the three. If Lumia 920 was launched with Android, it would easily have been the best seller. The likes of Galaxy S3 & HTC just cannot compete on build quality. Lack of apps will not be the case with Windows 1-2 years down the line. Their market share will steadily climb. I see a nice competition brewing, which will only be good for us! :)

I'm astounded with the call quality! I know that the Lumia supports HD audio, but my understanding is that that kicks in only if the network supports it (EE does) & the other phone also supports HD audio. But even when calling on landlines, the call quality is far superior to the HTC Sensation I owned. Even my friends commented how my voice sounds much more clear.

Internet Explorer is much faster than the Android browser & chrome browser on Android. Pages load instantly, when I compared on my wifi network.

EE has a much better coverage than Vodafone in my area & where I work. I'm glad I switched. :)

3G is quite fast. Not tested 4G yet.

Got to test a few more things.

Nokia Drive: Very fast to load & simply superb. As good as my TomTom, & free with the phone! True offline capability is a big bonus.

4G: It is quite fast. pages do load up at the blink of the eye. For my purposes, 3G is absolutely fine though. I don't stream videos when I'm out.

I'm absolutely loving the phone! Easily the best I've ever had (both iOS & Android).

1) Every app is super fast to open, especially Internet explorer. It's just instant. Both HTC Sensation & iPhone 4S feel sluggish in comparison.

2) I can switch my phone to vibrate only mode by simply long pressing the volume button (up or down) & selecting the option even when the phone is locked.

3) The power button on the side is much more useful than I thought. I don't have to reach up to the top of the phone.

4) The camera is superb, especially in low light situations. The light meter is accurate. Will post some pics soon.

5) Nokia drive is excellent.

One minor annoyance. Everything is a 2-step process, like calling someone or switching wifi / Bluetooth on / off. Even for recently called numbers, if I have more than 1 number under a name, the whole business card of the person opens for you choose which number to call instead of calling back on the same number. Some apps for wifi & calls avoid this, not checked them yet. Even answering calls from lock position requires you to slide the lock page up & then click the answer button.

alex_bro

May 18, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
One minor annoyance. Everything is a 2-step process, like calling someone or switching wifi / Bluetooth on / off. Even for recently called numbers, if I have more than 1 number under a name, the whole business card of the person opens for you choose which number to call instead of calling back on the same number. Some apps for wifi & calls avoid this, not checked them yet. Even answering calls from lock position requires you to slide the lock page up & then click the answer button.

In the recent numbers list. Rather than tapping the name of the person in the list, tap the little phone icon to the left. This will then dial that number directly, rather than open the business card.

Hope this makes sense.

alex_bro

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, I take it you have downloaded the connectivity shortcuts app. This makes getting to the wifi and other connectivity settings a bit quicker 'cos you can put a wifi tile direclty on your home screen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts