My latest project ... and TT #4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
The instructions do have a bit about wall and ceiling mounting. Wall I can understand, but not ceiling. Do you have a copy of the instructions? If not they and the service manual are available on Vinyl Engine.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ohhh, she is so ... tiny!

Lovely hifi ifor and thanks for the pics.

Mine should arrive within the next couple of days but I got training so probably won't be able to pick her up.

Still pondering over what colour for the new dress. - Matt black, Black gloss with tiny silver bits in it, a lovely plint ... I just dont know.

That is if I like the sound of course.

regards

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
drummerman said:
Still pondering over what colour for the new dress. - Matt black, Black gloss with tiny silver bits in it, a lovely plint ... I just dont know.

That is if I like the sound of course.

regards

What about pink like Lady Penelope's FAB 1.

Mine sounds really rather good through the Slee, but disappointing, relatively (unsurprising) through the Kandy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I dont think I'd have the stomach for a pink turntable :)

Not expecting miracles from the Technics as long as it has the usual DD strengths.

If it doesn't, I'll service and sell it, perhaps along the 115 to fund a 150/60 (or 125). Problem is I like the 115 a lot but am running out of space for TT's ...

regards

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
andybeau said:
ifor said:
drummerman said:
Just landed a pristine condition SL-7. Quite chuffed about that.

Now just have to do a little magic with it.

regards

Happy, sunny weekend everyone x
Is it the one I was watching on eBay that went for £113.99? I got mine a few months back for £58 including a Technics receiver. It was supposed to be working, but wasn't. Having got it for such a good price I wasn't that bothered and had it serviced by Vantage Audio. I'm very pleased with it. It sounds excellent through my Slee phono stage.

I was watching that one too.

Look forward to seeing pics D
Did anyone here pick up the one that went for £21 this morning?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ifor said:
andybeau said:
ifor said:
drummerman said:
Just landed a pristine condition SL-7. Quite chuffed about that.

Now just have to do a little magic with it.

regards

Happy, sunny weekend everyone x
Is it the one I was watching on eBay that went for £113.99? I got mine a few months back for £58 including a Technics receiver. It was supposed to be working, but wasn't. Having got it for such a good price I wasn't that bothered and had it serviced by Vantage Audio. I'm very pleased with it. It sounds excellent through my Slee phono stage.

I was watching that one too.

Look forward to seeing pics D
Did anyone here pick up the one that went for £21 this morning?

It was on my watch list but I forgot :oops: Came back from work and gone it was (at a very, very good price. Surprised). Would have made the perfect donor machine or, if lucky, an indecently cheap SL-7 if repairable.

I did look at Bobs website. Some luvely stuff there. Liked the SL-7 on the acrylic base. Doesn't do much but looks cool.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its currently residing in a post office near me. They're closed now.

Just not my weekend.

Really, I should have picked it up from the seller but I dont have much time at the mo so I went against my better judgement and had it couriered via parcelforce. - Hope those vulnerable hinges survived ...

regards

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Bob gave me a good bit of advice; always hold the lid down when releasing the lid catch to avoid stressing the catch which can lead to it breaking. If it does break you would have to place books on top while playing records.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, this just under lines what I think about having TT's couriered.

I've finally managed to pick it up at my local post office (work is silly at the moment).

Despite being superbly packaged, a truck could have probably driven over the packet without destroying the table, the seller unfortunately forgot to tape the lid close. - This one oversight exposed the one weak spot of this product ... the little plastic hinges on the lid ... as mentioned by ifor.

So, long story short, one broke off. - Luckily, it came off clean in one piece and a little superglue solved the issue. Unfortunately you can see where the repair was done even if the repair area is tiny :cry:

Other than that, the table looks in fine fret and will get the afromentioned once - proper - over.

The stylus is an OMP 5E so it will probably be replaced soon.

What have we learned from this my little badgers?

Never, ever have a turntable couriered - pick it up!

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Funny that!

When I sold my Rega RP3 on the bay, I was meticulous with the packing, photographing each step for the seller!

I packed it exactly the Rega way - buyer got it no problems all intact!

How about when the likes of Rega send TT's to the dealers - it is still by courier - Fed Ex

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I know.

9.. % of the time it will probably be ok.

Perhaps I'm just unlucky. 2nd table out of 4 that was damaged ... 50% :wall:

I think successful transit, careful courier handling apart, depends a lot on the sellers ability/knowledge of the table and how to pack it.

I am not blaming this seller. Not everyone is an expert and he really pushed the boat out otherwise with meticulous packaging.

Still, not much harm done.

Lovely little thing. I haven't listened to it yet, that could take a few days as I'm constantly working but I didn't realize just how tiny it is.

Even chebby could find a home for one of these

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I haven't sold any of them yet but am running out of space :)

I really like each and every one for slightly different reasons.

I will probably put a couple on the bay. Will mention it on here as a side remark if thats ok (not sure about the house rules but will not try blatantly sell).

That way someone will get a nice, cared for and serviced turntable/s.

regards

PS. Yes, pickies will come when the SL-7 is all done

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
drummerman said:
Despite being superbly packaged, a truck could have probably driven over the packet without destroying the table, the seller unfortunately forgot to tape the lid close. - This one oversight exposed the one weak spot of this product ... the little plastic hinges on the lid ... as mentioned by ifor.
it's not the hinges I was referring to, but the clip catch at the front.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... is what I meant Ifor.

Its closing fine now.

Love the clever clamping mechanism and solid weight of this minute turntable.

Lets hope it will sound as good as it looks. Looking at stylii as we speak.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok, had a (very quick) listen between shifts;

Ortofon OMP5e that is fitted sounds fine and neutral in the Ortofon way. However, it picks up a lot of record noise compared to the VMS20 MkII and Shure M97xe.

Other than that, rock steady pitch and very good drive as decent DD are supposed to.

Looking at her I think black with tiny silver bits followed by a few glossy clear coats in a small, tight fitting glossy rosewood plint with suspension would look luverly and almost completely isolate from any ground/air bourne vibration in partnership with the heavy/damped chassis.

Now its about finding the time ...

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Awaiting my shibata tipped AT T4P ... :). This will go on the SL7. The SL6 has the original technics cartridge so I'm looking for a replacement for that one.

Happy with the humble Ortofon but would hope for a little bit more 'stage', attack, body and frequency extension ... reasonable expectations for the price I hope.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts