My iMac is broken

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

It was more like three to be fair. But I hate leaving things like that running overnight only to wake in the morning and find it's failed or gone to sleep or whatever, so I blogged it up...

www.whathifi.com/blog/replace-the-hard-drive-in-your-imac

A

Anonymous

Time Machine can be used for on-demand backups; simply right click the dock icon and choose 'back up now'. There is no need to keep the disk attached.

John Duncan

chebby said:
Just found this article John...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/14/imac_hard_drive_replacement_woes/

...is everything ok on yours post replacement?

It's fine, yes. When I enquired with a service centre about them doing the work, he did ask model number so that he could identify whether it was a normal hard drive or whether it needed "a specific apple one with temperature control built in" and was told it was just a normal one, which seems to be the case since mine had the stick-on temp sensor and is showing no ill effects.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Finally got round to putting a new hard drive in - delayed by 'flu. Much easier than taking the iMac to bits - took less than an hour to put together again. Started perfectly! I have installed LinuxMint rather than apple software - again went very smoothly.

(This was my wife's iMac. It was over six years old when it died, so rather than have it 'officially' repaired she bought herself a new one: bigger screen, bigger hard disc, four times the memory, Lion software etc. I got the broken one to play with. I also have her old mobile phone and her old her old iPod nano. Well, I am old, 70 in just over 3 hours.)

Apple certainly does not make it easy to repair their stuff, but it is possible with patience, a lot of bad language, and an occasional extra hand.

Andrew

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
For backup software consider Crashplan. It's free and as well as backing up to an external HDD you can backup remotely to a friends computer.

I've given up relying on single external HDDs for backup having had too many fail on me. I now use a Drobo, which has capacity for 4 x 2TB HDDs. Everything is mirrored so a disc failure is no problem and it's TimeMachine and Crashplan compatible. If I were buying again I would get the 5 bay NAS version.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts