My home entertainment centre

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I am moving to a new home shortly and am setting up my new cinema/media centre room in the attic conversion. I have currently got a mis match of old and new equipment and have basically been told by the girlfriend it cant all come. She doesn't like big speakers well speakers at all so Im stumped. I have an AVR 1910 AMP with PS3, Wii,Mac mini media centre running PLEX Blu Ray BD60 and Panasonic TV. My speakers are a mismatch consisting of Kef Q35 fronts a Kef Q95c centre. two tannoy high level fronts and sub to match (the old FX range I think) Kef Q10 mid surrounds and the Tannoy FX as rears. Basically I havent got a clue. I need to stream line the system and make it sound better if possible. I would be willing to spend some cash to accomplish this. Please help.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Tell her your keeping the speakers whether she likes them or not.

Do not let her dictate to you about your HiFi. She can make decisions about colour schemes, carpets curtains etc, but the HiFi is yours.

Paul.

You could keep the sub and the floor standers, and replace everything else with kef 3005 series eggs? Would be much smaller, sound good with movies and music. Also, it's a compromise, if you dont fancy going 'full victorian'

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What is the actual purpose of the attic conversion? If it's specifically for a movie room then it should be set up like one. Although having said that, there's not much point having two sets of fronts. Given the choice, since you have a KEF centre I'd stick with the KEF fronts as they'll match better.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Take it all. You can always sell what you don't need afterwards, but it's better to establish that first rather than regret it later. Secondly, do you really need front heights in an attic? Assuming (and I could be wrong) that the roof rises to an apex, would you get the separation high up?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chudleighpaul said:
Tell her your keeping the speakers whether she likes them or not.

Do not let her dictate to you about your HiFi. She can make decisions about colour schemes, carpets curtains etc, but the HiFi is yours.

Women, know your place!

A

Anonymous

Sounds like an option will have the ask the misses if she likes the look of them :) form over function unfortunately. Can I buy these individually as the whole pack is around 1K and I only need two or three ? assume you think I should swap my centre also ?

A

Anonymous

The room is basically the spare bed room office and cinema room (its reasonably big:) My plan is to house all my kit in the eve (cut a hole in the wall and fit a door or some such) She is happy with this as it means all the kit will be hidden. I am then going to run a HD signal down stairs to the TV using a matrix not allowed speakers down stairs either ha ha :) so will be able to watch TV, Bluray, Mac mini etc downstairs but using TV speaker. The trade off is that I can have DTS and the big TV in the attic room provided it doesnt take up too much space.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What is it with men who are whipped by their women! Tell her its that or the dog crate for her. Works on mine quite well ;) No but seriously she needs to understand that its your hobby....after all you dont dictate what she wears or what she must buy to wear.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
A compromise is always the best..... (No arm being twisted up my back by wife) Timing is vital Make up a list of speakers you like then a list of a compromise speakers ranging from eggs to soundbars. Give the options on finish or colour. See what your other half would be prepared to put up with.

Now this is the key take her out for a nice night out and then the next day line up the demos.......

Worked for me

see my system....

A

Anonymous

We have come to a compromise now :) I get to get the Kef eggs she gets a new sofa everyone is happy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts