My home cinema build thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

paulrae

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see your install is progressing - I'm planning on using a similar speaker setup. Be interested in your feedback when you have them all installed. What cable did you pair with the speakers? Have you opted for a sub too?

I'm planning on mounting my tv in a false wall too - have you gone for a cantilever style mount?

Cheers

Thanks. The cables are just standard ones. 200+ strand flat cables for surround speakers, and Maplin 79 strand cable (£26.99 for 20m spindle) for fronts and centre (because I ran out of the flat one).

My subwoofer is KK DXD 808.

The TV mount is just a flat mount. Didn't want the TV to stick out too much.

The final installation is happening today, will post pics soon.

Few problems cropped up today:

1) The TV refuses to switch on. I'll speak to John Lewis next week.

2) LED TV backlight is faulty and needs changing.

3) I've been sent a black projector when I ordered a white one. I'll speak to the dealer what can be done, as I'll have to use the projector until the TV is sorted.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
The final installation is happening today, will post pics soon.

Few problems cropped up today:

1) The TV refuses to switch on. I'll speak to John Lewis next week.

2) LED TV backlight is faulty and needs changing.

3) I've been sent a black projector when I ordered a white one. I'll speak to the dealer what can be done, as I'll have to use the projector until the TV is sorted.
The TV refuses to switch on! Is that my Panasonic BB?

A

Anderson

BB I know it might be a big ask but could you host the pictures on imgur? You can then just share a link to the album with us here. Means the forum won't screw your pictures.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
The TV refuses to switch on! Is that my Panasonic BB?

Yes gel. :(
I never had any problems with it! Is the mains properly in? And you are switching it on by the side on button, you can see it when you put your head around it?

I'll try again tonight.

The home cinema installer is a qualified electrician. We initially thought the fuse of the plug has blown. Changed it, still no joy. We can hear the TV switching on, and switching back off without any picture.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I'll try again tonight.

The home cinema installer is a qualified electrician. We initially thought the fuse of the plug has blown. Changed it, still no joy. We can hear the TV switching on, and switching back off without any picture.
Make sure nothing is on the mains. Yep, definitely check you are switching it on correctly by the side on button.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Do you remember which side the start button is? Left or right?
Right if you are looking at the TV. It's the last switch on the side of it.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Thanks gel! I spoke to the electrician, and you're right. The TV is on now! :)

Thanks!

Doesn't help when you're at work and the electrician / home cinema installer tells you on the phone that the TV isn't switching on!
Flipping heck BB, you had me worried there! *biggrin*. No probs any troubles just contact me. Nice one - enjoy! It's a great TV.

scene

Glad to hear the TV's OK!

Very annoying about the projector - hopefully you'll get the replacement sooner rather than later.

Regarding the grilles: have you contacted MA and seen how much a set of replacement grilles would cost?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi BB

With Panasonic tv's you have told hold the standby button down on the remote for 5 seconds to get it to initially come on.

That might not be the case as its been on before but worth noting you wont be used to that coming from Pioneer - that click you hear it when you power the board up from the mains - interesting it does that must be a relay of sorts

Thanks ellisdj! The Panasonic looks good! Too early to comment on picture quality, as I've only watched a 2-minute clip.

LED lightstrip all along the ceiling and underneath the cabinets installed today. Curiously, they switch on and change colours when operating my Oppo remote! *unknw*

I've just connected all speakers to the Marantz (7.1.4). It's ridiculously easy to go through the process with Marantz's excellent GUI! Just ran a Pacific Rim clip (without the subwoofer). Initial impressions are very very good. :)

The floor is going to be re-oiled tomorrow, so haven't moved in the sofas yet. I'll go through the Audyssey calibration process once the room is fully set (hopefully this weekend).

TRENDING THREADS