My home cinema build thread

So finally the installation is near!! I'm moving to my new house on Wednesday, and home cinema build will start on day 1. *dance4*

I'll post the progress on this thread as it comes on.

This is the design:

Home%2Bcinema%2Bdrawing.jpg

All my AV equipment will come within the 2 cabinets on the right. The extra cut out on the left is for the iPad mini dock.

My AV equipment was delivered today, just added to all the packing we're doing!

The screen was too big to come in the van, so they took the packaging out and delivered the screen only (I hope it withstands the trip to the new house!!).

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

Speakers in the house, and the rest in the garage for now.

To recap my AV equipment:

Projector: Sony HW40ES

Projector screen: Draper Sesame 2.1 with ReAct 2.1 (95")

TV: Panasonic 50VT65

AV receiver: Marantz SR7009

Stereo amplifier (for extra 2 channels of amplification): Marantz PM6005

Blu ray player: Oppo 103D

Speakers:

Monitor Audio WT280-IDC for fronts and centre

Monitor Audio WT265 for side and rear surrounds

Monitor Audio CT265 for 4 Dolby Atmos speakers

Media players: Apple TV / Amazon Fire TV / Boxee box (also have Chromecast)

Gaming console: PS3

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you would have new gear delivered to your existing house when you are moving on Wednesday??????? Then have to wait until your home cinema is built beyond that.

D

Deleted member 2457

Where did you buy all your gear from? And what sort of prices did you pay? Cheers!

relocated said:
I don't understand why you would have new gear delivered to your existing house when you are moving on Wednesday???????  Then have to wait until your home cinema is built beyond that.  

Yes, I wanted it to be delivered to the new house, but the dealer could only deliver it to my card's registered address.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Where did you buy all your gear from? And what sort of prices did you pay? Cheers!

Bought from Frank Harvey Hi Fi. I demoed the MA Silver series of speakers, on which Trimless 200 series is based.
I like buying from Frank Harvey too, they always package the boxes well. Cheers.

boggit said:
Like the front wall design looks good.

Thanks boggit! One option was having a low cabinet all along the wall. I wanted AV equipment placed vertically in a tower, so I thought of having just 2 towers on either end. But that would not accommodate the front speakers clear from the screen. So the designer came up with this, and suggested cabinets at 3 different levels, following the contours of the screen.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
relocated said:
I don't understand why you would have new gear delivered to your existing house when you are moving on Wednesday??????? Then have to wait until your home cinema is built beyond that.

Yes, I wanted it to be delivered to the new house, but the dealer could only deliver it to my card's registered address.

Oh deeeeeerrrrrrrr, of course, how daft of me. Nice looking design, I trust it will all go well for you.

Well, the first day wasn't smooth at all!

The developers of my house have used some strong plywood instead of joists in the ceiling! Apparently, they're stronger than timber, so you also don't need as many!! So now the screen will have to go on a wall bracket which I've ordered for Friday am delivery. Also, the design of the false ceiling had to change.

Also, the electrician nipped out at lunchtime to get something from screwfix, and since then he's uncontactable. I hope he's ok. It leaves me with the problem of not having an electrician.

I contacted a home cinema installer and luckily, he's free on Friday, and he has an electrician. So I've commissioned him for the project.

It was a massive chaos during the day, with flooring being laid, builders putting a timber frame for false ceiling in the living room and our stuff moving in!

Off to bed early today, need some rest desperately.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Wow sounds like things are going similar way to me - just when things are all planned someone lets you down and throws a spanner in the plan :)

Be worth it in the end - thats what I keep telling myself - keep us posted, I know you will

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Well, the first day wasn't smooth at all!

The developers of my house have used some strong plywood instead of joists in the ceiling! Apparently, they're stronger than timber, so you also don't need as many!! So now the screen will have to go on a wall bracket which I've ordered for Friday am delivery. Also, the design of the false ceiling had to change.

Also, the electrician nipped out at lunchtime to get something from screwfix, and since then he's uncontactable. I hope he's ok. It leaves me with the problem of not having an electrician.

I contacted a home cinema installer and luckily, he's free on Friday, and he has an electrician. So I've commissioned him for the project.

It was a massive chaos during the day, with flooring being laid, builders putting a timber frame for false ceiling in the living room and our stuff moving in!

Off to bed early today, need some rest desperately.

Hellfire BB, you don't do things by half. Shame about the electrician and I trust the floors/ceiling are silent using a modern plywood arrangement [unlike my brother-in-laws house that creaks and groans if a feather falls on an upstairs floor.

Best of luck, I trust you got the rest you needed. It will all be worth the hassle in the end.

Thanks guys! Yes, it did throw a massive spanner. I'm very annoyed with the electrician, as he left my job for another bigger job!

The builder only had yesterday for the false ceiling, but because of the absence of joists, he's having to find some time for me tomorrow afternoon.

I'm still hopeful that my home cinema will be complete by 23rd. It should all be worth it in the end, as you say. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm very annoyed with the electrician, as he left my job for another bigger job!

I hope he doesn't expect to get paid for what he's done up to now?

I hope he does end up in hospital with you as his consultant though, I'd love to see that : "I don't understand, I only came in with concussion, why do I need a colonoscopy?"

He only drilled a hole in my wall, and then was on the phone few times. I came to know from someone else that there's a large house with £2 million worth of renovation and they want it complete before Christmas. That's where he disappeared to.

:D Not treating patients appropriately is against medical ethics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts