My Hifi and Home Cinema Set Up

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Latest addition - MF M1 DAC and added another rack.

5056134608_f7bd2743d4_m.jpg

5056133876_856e1f66b5_m.jpg

5056135086_c620f12fff_m.jpg

5056135760_6792470fd7_m.jpg

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I have moved back into my previous own house. I have set up the hifi using Rule of Fifths by Usher for the moment. Measurements as below:

A - distance between speakers - 5'9"
B - distance of speaker from side wall - 2'1"
C - distance of speaker from rear wall - 1'9"
D - distance between listening position to speaker - 8'3"
E - distance between listening position to rear wall - 7'

Additional equipment is the Belkin PF50 Power Console.

I have experimented with various A, B and C. Cant do much with D and E as there are other stuff to set up.

With the current set up, bass is not overwhelmed. However, increasing A seems to have better stereo imaging but bass can be bloated.

Spent the weekend listening to various type of music with the above set up. I feel that the Rules of Fifth is not doing justice to my set up, particularly on the low end reproduction.

I will have spend another week on this arrangement before start to move the speakers again.

Pictures below. The room is not fully cleared up. The mirror on the left side and the bags and boxes beside the sofa will be moved soon.
5250184855_3521da0dfb.jpg

5250819172_cb46e45db8.jpg

A

Anonymous

El Hefe:
Sent my XA50 monoblock for repairs. Speakers are now just run by the XA1. Immediate made the set up to be on the bright side. Treble was dominating the sound. Hence, purchased the X10 V3 and XPSU V3 yesterday. After 24 hours of running in, the sound has improved but have yet to achieve the sound when I bi-amped the speakers with XA-50s. The tube buffer does give a warmer sound and the system has gained bass authority as well.

4959649918_77240bc2aa_m.jpg

4959054821_4e123a3878_m.jpg

4959648870_eecf48577d_m.jpg

I El Hefe, I love the look of your system, very smart indeed.

Couple of questions, Which tube buffer are you using? is it any good? I love the control of solid state but also partial to a bit of valve . Is this a good way of imparting a bit of valve warmth on my ears?

Any help would be much appreciated.....

D

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi brittondave,

Spot on. The X10 V3 is the tube buffer I am using tu inject that valve warmth into the the CDP replay. And it does work. I like the valve idea, but would not want to invest in a full valve amp yet, at least until the kids has grown up :)

I have tried actually hooking up the X10 V3 between X-A1 integrated and XA50s monoblock so that the warmth can be injected when I play any other sources as well ie MD, Tapes, Airport Express etc. But I didnt get the same effect as when I hook it up to the CDP alone.

I bought this after I have heard the tube headphone amp XCAN V3 in action. It really smoothens things up for my system.

A

Anonymous

I have had a look and can't see any for sale. I guess it's only second hand now........ guess I will have to wait for one to spring up on the bay... or do you have any other suggestions?

thanks

A

Anonymous

El Hefe, that is one amazing system you've got yourself would love to hear it...stunning, enjoy my friend, benny.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
There is actually one on ebay but not sure whether they will send it to UK. Its in Germany. Maybe you can try emailing the seller.

Its selling cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/MF-Musical-Fidelity-X-10-V3-/180599722062?pt=Audio_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item2a0c95104e&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:MY:101

Or try contacting MF themself. They sometimes have old stock.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
benny39:El Hefe, that is one amazing system you've got yourself would love to hear it...stunning, enjoy my friend, benny.

Thanks Benny,

I would love for people to come over and have a go at my system. I like to see the reaction on people's face when they listen to my set up. Mind you, I had visitors who totally dislike my MF set up.

I have not fully set it up in my new house. I am planning to put my spare 32" LCD TV on the top shelf with a mini DVD player. I like to watch concerts DVD while drumming along. (I will have my digital drum set on the right side of the sofa).

A

Anonymous

El Hefe, yip would love to hear it, i pick-up my new ATC SCM 40's on saturday...looking forward to that for christmas.

A

Anonymous

El Hefe, not too happy, they never arrived at the shop due to poor weather (snow) & backlog's of parcel's, i take it they must have went to a main distribution hub for scottish deliveries & have been delayed, Kuala Lumpur well it is a little far...but who know's maybe one day

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
benny39:El Hefe, not too happy, they never arrived at the shop due to poor weather (snow) & backlog's of parcel's, i take it they must have went to a main distribution hub for scottish deliveries & have been delayed, Kuala Lumpur well it is a little far...but who know's maybe one day

Aaaaahhh uncontrolled circumstances then. Maybe you can plan a warm Xmas next year in Kuala Lumpur :)

A

Anonymous

El Hefe, that sound's just the ticket for me...sun...good music...new friend's & most of all a Christmas holiday oh yeah could go for that

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Just a quick update. My TEAC V6030S tape deck died on me. Well, not completely. It will still play when no tape is inside but once I load a cassette, it will stop.

However, a few days back, managed to get my hands on another classic deck - ONKYO TA 2600. Suprisingly the sound coming out from this deck is much better than the TEAC.

5797238886_7f5c298419_z.jpg

5796679197_e68f23c005_z.jpg

A

Anonymous

Very nice set up, sit back & enjoy it, youve worked hard putting it all together Cheers Benny.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thats it. I think I am done.

Latest acquisitions to hifi and home cinema nirvana:

1. MF M1 CDT, CLiC, HPA

2. Custom made ATS hifi rack

3. Headphone stands

4. Yamaha RXV 2067

5. Oppo BDP 95-EU

6. Siltech Interconnects (RCA and XLR)

7. A.S.I Balanced digital IC

My faithful SONY BDP SE1 and Yamaha RXVa795RDS is temporarily incorporated here while waiting for a buyer.

6086652639_d4ed29dfb0_z.jpg

6086651599_aafe75a669_z.jpg

6086649787_2f659a4912_z.jpg

6086650683_3dcd9d2d0c_z.jpg

6086647785_4167b8e7f3_z.jpg

6087297292_7cec09726e_z.jpg

6086753063_435628e395_z.jpg

A

Anonymous

Stunning turntable :twisted: look seriously good, how are you finding the OPPO bluray player as I might have to look into a new one soon :doh: my Pioneer has started going in the odd huff lately...maybe once a week, it comes good just annoying, what's you plans now? Serious system El Hefe. Cheers Benny.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
benny39 said:
Stunning turntable :twisted: look seriously good, how are you finding the OPPO bluray player as I might have to look into a new one soon :doh: my Pioneer has started going in the odd huff lately...maybe once a week, it comes good just annoying, what's you plans now? Serious system El Hefe. Cheers Benny.

Hi benny39,

Thanks. Yes I must say the ClearAudio is very well built and sturdy. And the sound is amazing. I am still doing a little bit of adjustment as playing 45 rpm LPs is not to my expectation. 33s are good though.

My next quest is actully the M1 ViNL phono stage and a new subwoofer for the home cinema.

The Oppo players is excellent. Easy to use. Well laid out remote. Not fussy with various BDs. Fast loading.

Compared to my previous Sony BDP S1E, it provides livelier and mroe vibrant pictures. I cant compare the sound though as Sony did not produce MA sound.

Yesterday I watched 2 movies. Los Angeles Battlefield and an old movie Twister.

The LA Battlefield came with MovieIQ and BD Live features. Both needed internet connection which the Oppo wifi dongle connected to my wifi router with minimum fuss. My router is on the lower floor.

First the BDLive. Its mainly showing what other movies available based on various genres. Good trailers shown. Once the trailer is fully loaded, the streaming is flawless.

For the MovieIQ, its basically provides you with the following:

1. Facts of the movie, score, casts etc
2. Explanation about the scenes

Now, the number 2 item is very unique. The player will first connect the BD to the MovieIQ database over the net. Then it will give you a code where you can then use your iPhone, iPad or other Smartphone to be connected and synced to the BD. You first visit the website and key in the code provided and the same MovieIQ features on the TV is now shown on your phone. You can then go back to a full screen movie on the TV and use your phone to access MovieIQ. Neat.

Now for the movie experience.

Both movies were in 5.1 DTS MA. The battle scene in LA was really engaging where planes, bullets were flying around my living room. A clear experience can be felt when an airplane was flying from my rear right speaker to the lft front speaker. The best way to experience this is to close your eyes and just listen to the effects churnedout from the Oppo and Yamaha.

Vocals were very clear on the centre channel although once in a while, it gets drowned in the battle commotion noise.

Twister on the other provided me a world wind experience. I can feel when the twister was approaching from far ahead and towards the screen. Really uplifting compared to my Dolby Digital upscaled DVD.

However, there is a different in picture quality between an older movie upgraded to BD and a new movie released originally in BD.

Twister picture can be a bit grainy compared to LA Battlefield. But It was still clearer than the old DVD. I can see frackles on Helen Hunt's face hehehehe.

The remote on Oppo is well laid out and huge buttons with backlight. I like.

Buy with confidence Benny.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts